Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
There has been some great videos on the news of the people at the March on Washington in 1963.

The main thing that hit me was how well dressed everyone was in the videos and pictures. Most of the men, black and white, were wearing Suits and Ties even though it was a 90 degree August Day. While on a practical level wearing a warm suit on a 90 degree day is not very logical, the fact that most people at the demonstration were so well dressed gave them a certain credibility.

I think the tacky clothes people wear in public today at marches and demonstrations limit their credibility.

Does anyone else wish people would dress up to go out in public and present themselves to society?
I love that old school look and aspire to it, even though I fall short. Old photographs of riveters in suits and ties...remember that Lee Marvin movie "Emperor of the North Pole" where he plays a hobo named "A-#1" and is always dressed in a jacket, waistcoat, collared shirt and tie even when he's sleeping in a boxcar and smeared with coal dust. So cool. One problem is that suits today are made of such flimsy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
Although I'm a pretty scruffy character most of the time, I like the novelty of dressing up. I feel that people respond to me better, and, more importantly, I feel more confident (in the right venue, naturally). I used to feel self-conscious in "nicer" restaurants, for example, but was amazed at how --- paradoxically --- I felt more relaxed going out when I dressed up.

As others have mentioned, linen is pretty comfortable in all but the worst heat, and I love tweed in the fall.

But, of course, for me (and many people nowadays), dressing up is only done on occasion, so I might not like it if I had to do it every day.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I think it was impractical and idiotic.

I've got some very nice suits and dress clothes when the situations forces me to.
Otherwise I wear jeans and a t shirt all year long.

More inexpensive, more practical, more durable, more comfortable, and better in every way.
Amen!!! Jeans or cargo style pants, with tee shirt or sweatshirt or sweater for the cold months.

As soon as I retired every suit, jacket and tie went to the thrift shop. I have a few fine, expensive casual clothes for those occasions that require some gloss. If more than that is required I send my no-thank-you.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM

65 posts, read 190,448 times
"If men can run the world, why can't they stop wearing neckties? How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a little noose around your neck?" Linda Ellerbee

Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I love that old school look and aspire to it, even though I fall short. Old photographs of riveters in suits and ties...remember that Lee Marvin movie "Emperor of the North Pole" where he plays a hobo named "A-#1" and is always dressed in a jacket, waistcoat, collared shirt and tie even when he's sleeping in a boxcar and smeared with coal dust. So cool. One problem is that suits today are made of such flimsy stuff.
I don't know if you're interested in attracting women or not, but I do know that good clothes help that. Women appreciate a man who looks like he put some thought into his clothing, if it's full-dress or casual. Whether you want to communicate that you are stable or successful or creative or a person with their you-know-what together, you can do that quickest through your clothing. People notice, and automatically put their trust in, those who are well-dressed.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Men use to go to baseball games in suits.

My father and his brother and brothers-in-law would never be seen without a suit on if they were going out to an event...or even going out for a sunday drive with the family.

I even remember run of the mill local restaurants requiring every man to be wearing a suit jacket. If you didnt have it...they found some mis-matched jacket for you to wear.
I think we've gone from one extreme to the other. I don't think we should have to "dress up" just to go to WalMart...but the website peopleofwalmart.com shows that we've gone way too far in the other direction.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
I have a photo of my great grandfather taken in 1936 of him and his family camping. In the photo he is putting up the tent in slacks, suspenders, and a tucked in dress shirt.

Just the way it was back then I guess.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If I were a professor, I'd have a serious discussion with my students on Day One about decorum, which includes how one dresses for class.
And when you start paying them, rather than the other way around, maybe it would be acceptable for you to dictate how they dress.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thank god we don't live in those days anymore. Why would anyone in their right mind want to wear a suit and tie in 90 degree heat?
Actually, a striped seersucker suit, worn with a spiffy bowtie and a Manila hat, was classic Southern gentleman summer attire for many a year, and can still be observed being worn (mostly by the older generation) rather often in that part of the world. I saw several gentlemen so attired on a recent visit to southern Virginia, and they all appeared to be cool and comfortable. Granted, they were not engaged in heavy physical labor at the time.

It's also wise to seek the shade and the breeze, keep hydrated, and move slowly during the heat of the day when the thermometer hits 90+. Loose-fitting, long-sleeved clothing can be quite practical under such conditions.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A lot of people dress like slobs. One of my pet peeves is college students who go to class in their pajamas.
5 Reasons You Don't Miss Your 20s When They're Over | Cracked.com

#5. You're in the Last Stages of Cool

"[A]t some point in your 20s, you get to experience the bitchslap realization that the music you loved as a teenager was specifically designed to appeal to teenagers . . . You'll flip around the radio or turn on one of the MTV channels that still plays music, and suddenly it hits you that what you're hearing is just absolute sh*t . . .

"And it's the same with everything that could be used to define you. Like clothes. If you try to dress in whatever teenage fad is in style that month, you look like a creepy old guy who's desperately trying to look cool. If you resign yourself to dressing like what catalogs say adults should look like, you've just kissed goodbye any chance that you'll ever be cool again. This is why you go to a college campus and half the people just wear their pajamas to class. They're out of ideas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History