Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,411,985 times

Advertisements

I think being dressed up is over rated. I am glad society is less formal today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times
I think it was impractical and idiotic.

I've got some very nice suits and dress clothes when the situations forces me to.
Otherwise I wear jeans and a t shirt all year long.

More inexpensive, more practical, more durable, more comfortable, and better in every way.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Maybe they *did* just roll out of bed.
Well, yeah. And that's kind of the problem.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 14,963,353 times
As a very young women, I never left the house without hose and gloves. White kid wrist length in the Houston summer.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,437,626 times
Last Saturday, here in Toronto was the 92nd annual Warriors Day parade, with about 10,000 Canadian military veterans and current Canadian Forces units in the parade, through the Canadian National Exhibition grounds.

All of the Veterans in the parade, were wearing their Regimental blazers, with white shirts, Regimental or Corps ties, and berets, with their individual unit insignia, with grey slacks and shined black leather shoes. They represented World War Two, Korea, United Nations peacekeeping missions in Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Cyprus, Gaza, and Afghanistan.. The oldest veteran, marching in the parade was 97 years old, a RCAF pilot, who flew bombers in WW 2.

My POINT is that here in Canada, military veterans would never be seen at a public event, such as on November 11th, Remembrance Day, in anything but their best clothing, and wearing their medals with pride. No ball hats, no t shirts, no jeans. And , remember, many of our younger veterans are in their 20;s and 30's, not 90's.

I guess we see this as matter of personal pride and "unit tradition " My old Regiment has been serving Canada for 122 years, since 1891, and in that period of time, over 65,000 Canadians have served in the unit. We wouldn't dream of appearing at a military function, in anything that wasn't clean, pressed, and immaculate. Old habits die hard.

Here is a link to the 48th Highlanders of Canada 120 th Anniversary of the Regiment's founding, in 1891.

48th Highlanders of Canada 120th Anniversary Salute Remembrance Day Parade 2011 - YouTube

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,051,907 times
What does a military ceremony have to do with suit wearing on everyday occasions?

Im so grateful when "casual" Fridays became casual all week. It was awful wearing a suit into the office on miserable hot days.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM

105 posts, read 246,488 times
As someone who has not worn a suit since 3-4 years old, I would not survive wearing a suit in those conditions. I am very sensitive to the heat and I get dehydrated quicker than average. In contrast I can walk during blizzards in shorts/t-shirt and be fine.

Personally I do not find suits to be intimidating or authoritative. People overreact to what others wear in my opinion.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,920,878 times
I have five doctors whom I see on a twice-yearly basis. Every one of them is wearing dress shirt and tie, except for one who wears a white lab coat - OVER his dress shirt and tie. I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in any one of them if they greeted me in jeans or sweats and a tee shirt. I'm sure they do wear jeans or sweats, but they do it at the appropriate time. When I was hospitalized, almost every doctor was wearing a suit or sport coat and khakis.

My attorney works in shirt sleeves, but when a client is ushered into his office, he puts on his suit coat. I did see him at a parade with his children and he had on a golf shirt and jeans. It was the appropriate venue.

When I see people wearing camo, knowing they aren't in the military, I'm tempted to ask if they plan to enlist. I saw a woman at the store today, wearing a nice purple two-piece suit, looking very spiffy - except for the silver gladiator heels she was wearing. Not an outfit I'd put together.

It's a shame that golf courses had to make rules about what people should wear on the course. It's a shame that some people think that their clothes are their form of personal expression. Civility is always appropriate. And respectful.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have five doctors whom I see on a twice-yearly basis. Every one of them is wearing dress shirt and tie, except for one who wears a white lab coat - OVER his dress shirt and tie. I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in any one of them if they greeted me in jeans or sweats and a tee shirt. I'm sure they do wear jeans or sweats, but they do it at the appropriate time. When I was hospitalized, almost every doctor was wearing a suit or sport coat and khakis.

My attorney works in shirt sleeves, but when a client is ushered into his office, he puts on his suit coat. I did see him at a parade with his children and he had on a golf shirt and jeans. It was the appropriate venue.

When I see people wearing camo, knowing they aren't in the military, I'm tempted to ask if they plan to enlist. I saw a woman at the store today, wearing a nice purple two-piece suit, looking very spiffy - except for the silver gladiator heels she was wearing. Not an outfit I'd put together.

It's a shame that golf courses had to make rules about what people should wear on the course. It's a shame that some people think that their clothes are their form of personal expression. Civility is always appropriate. And respectful.
Yep. I live in a place that's practically broiling four months out of the year. Yet, I manage to wear a suit where appropriate and not suffer from heat stroke or rash. After all, a good linen suit is rather cool to wear, not to mention the side effect of looking natty.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The main thing that hit me was how well dressed everyone was in the videos and pictures. Most of the men, black and white, were wearing Suits and Ties even though it was a 90 degree August Day.
Thank god we don't live in those days anymore. Why would anyone in their right mind want to wear a suit and tie in 90 degree heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History