U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 AM

48,025 posts, read 20,216,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
How on earth did I get his name in there?
I always get Jim Thorpe and Gandhi confused as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM

17,627 posts, read 10,411,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I always get Jim Thorpe and Gandhi confused as well.
Yeah. Make fun.

OK. Mel Ott and Marlene Dietrich were together at Camp Sissone in France in December 1944, Theodor Giesel was not for away, but not in their company.
They were all evacuated when the battle, which was unexpected, erupted.

How's that?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Make fun.

OK. Mel Ott and Marlene Dietrich were together at Camp Sissone in France in December 1944, Theodor Giesel was not for away, but not in their company.
They were all evacuated when the battle, which was unexpected, erupted.

How's that?
Close enough....

On December 15th, 1944, all three could be found in eastern Belgium, guests of the US 8th Corps which was stationed there guarding the western part of the Ardennes forest.

Dietrich was touring with the USO, Ott was there with a group of ML players on a goodwill trip, and Giesel was with Frank Capra who was making a propaganda documentary for the army.

The morning of the 16th, the Germans burst through the Ardennes, taking the Allies by surprise and launching what became known as the Battle of the Bulge.

Good job, Listener.

Now your turn.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Trivia side note....

President Eisenhower was good enough at football that he was contemplating playing professionally after discharging his army duties. In the game against Carlisle, Ike injured his knee while attempting to tackle Thorpe, knocking him from the game. The following week Eisenhower reinjured the knee in Army's next game and that put an end to his athletic career and hopes for playing pro ball.

So instead he made do with a career in the military.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
Quote:
Trivia side note....

President Eisenhower was good enough at football that he was contemplating playing professionally after discharging his army duties. In the game against Carlisle, Ike injured his knee while attempting to tackle Thorpe, knocking him from the game. The following week Eisenhower reinjured the knee in Army's next game and that put an end to his athletic career and hopes for playing pro ball.

So instead he made do with a career in the military.
Sounds like my cardiologist. In high school, he had legitimate NFL hopes and was being offered scholarships by a dozen major southeastern college football programs, got sidetracked by two separate injuries, and had to fall back on plan B, went to medical school, did residence at Mayo, and is now on the cardiac team at one of the best hospitals in the state, and did my angioplasty this year. (Sort of off topic, but it's a slow forum day.)

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sounds like my cardiologist. In high school, he had legitimate NFL hopes and was being offered scholarships by a dozen major southeastern college football programs, got sidetracked by two separate injuries, and had to fall back on plan B, went to medical school, did residence at Mayo, and is now on the cardiac team at one of the best hospitals in the state, and did my angioplasty this year. (Sort of off topic, but it's a slow forum day.)

The Augusta Chronicle
That is a nice story.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:28 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
Quote:
That is a nice story.
I deleted the link to the story, because I couldn't get back into it. Apparently, you can only get in once, and after that, you get blocked. So users here can click on it from your quote block. I opened a different browser and then got to see it a second time, since there was a new cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or