Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

As a child I hated clowns, still do , they give me the creeps.. this tells why this is, as Im not alone in disliking them... The History and Psychology of Clowns Being Scary | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I, too, have bozophobia. When I was little and went to the circus, I always wished the elephants would step on them.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I was never afraid of them, but even as a kid I found them boring and would get impatient waiting for them to finish up their act. There is a type of humor, the best description of which would be a list of the practitioners, which I have never appreciated. That list would include clowns, The Three Stooges, Jerry Lewis, Jim Carey and every master of ceremonies at every strip club that has ever existed. It is a philosophy of comedy which holds that no gag ever ceases to be funny no matter how many times you repeat it, that any sort of stupid, weird behavior is hilarious, all jokes must be telegraphed clearly before being seen or heard, and milked completely afterward, and that you can never be too vulgar or aim too low.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
I think the main reason for the popular meme that "clowns are scary!" is as follows:

1. Since the Victorian era, clowns (and puppet shows, which are closely related in the history of drama) have been largely regarded as children's entertainment. This is part of a process by which children's culture inherits and becomes the sole preserver of very old aspects of folk culture. This process is always ongoing.

2. Clowns, are not, in fact, kid's stuff. The clowns of today are directly descended from various folk theater archetypes, especially the buffoonery of the Italian Commedia Della Arte rascals (Harlequin, Pierrot, Scaramouche,etc) and the clown figures that have been part of the English theater from Shakespeare on back to the morality plays of medieval times. These old clowns enacted adult themes for adults: lust, violence, trickery...the panoply of human antics that have always been at the root of adult comedy.

So what's at the heart of "clowns are scary" is mainly our recent, modern idea that clowns AREN'T scary....the benevolent Ronald MacDonald type of clown, entertaining sick kids in the hospital and blowing up balloon animals. Children of all ages with any kind of emotional sensitivity can detect the ancient violent emotions that are the root source of buffoonery in the human psyche, when they see a modern clown, and of course they intuit a discrepancy. Thus, clowns are scary.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
John Wayne Gacy loved to dress up as a clown.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was never afraid of them, but even as a kid I found them boring and would get impatient waiting for them to finish up their act. There is a type of humor, the best description of which would be a list of the practitioners, which I have never appreciated. That list would include clowns, The Three Stooges, Jerry Lewis, Jim Carey and every master of ceremonies at every strip club that has ever existed. It is a philosophy of comedy which holds that no gag ever ceases to be funny no matter how many times you repeat it, that any sort of stupid, weird behavior is hilarious, all jokes must be telegraphed clearly before being seen or heard, and milked completely afterward, and that you can never be too vulgar or aim too low.
It's pretty much the same for me. I was never necessarily afraid of them, but I never really liked them either. I either find clowns boring or slightly creepy in a molester-esque kind of way.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I, too, have bozophobia. When I was little and went to the circus, I always wished the elephants would step on them.
LOL bozophobia, is that what it's really called?

Yeah I was scared of clowns as a young kid, though I don't remember my parents said when I was very scared I used to cry at the sight of clowns and Ronald McDonald always looked freaky, no I never wanted to sit next to him on that bench lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History