Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times

Advertisements

I am fascinated by history and read about it each day.

The problem I have is that I realize that Revisionist History is rampant. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, fully knowing that it could be 75% biased, revisionist, propaganda, or racially-centric, you name it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
. What's the famous quote by the Spanish philosopher Santayana?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'. .
I have long been puzzled by the supposed wisdom of that saying. Why is someone who is unaware of what happened previously any more likely to duplicate previous behavior than try something new?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM

280 posts, read 686,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I am fascinated by history and read about it each day.

The problem I have is that I realize that Revisionist History is rampant. I take everything I read with a grain of salt, fully knowing that it could be 75% biased, revisionist, propaganda, or racially-centric, you name it...

That's why it's important to read different viewpoints and look at primary sources. Many neglect to do the latter, thereby coming away with a narrow, biased account.

Last edited by VGravitas; 09-05-2013 at 09:33 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I think the disinterest is because from the perspective that we should all know our roots it is a nice thing to know, but from a practical "How is this going to make me more prepared for earning a living" standpoint it really has no bearing. I can't remember how or when knowing our history ever helped me in any of my jobs or in just getting through a typical day.

However, I do wish I would have spent more time learning math, English, and science. Those are subjects that do directly impact you on a daily basis. Maybe not science so much, but for sure math and English.

Don

Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM

243 posts, read 452,678 times
In my personal experience, I hated history/civics in middle and high school. I always did well, but math and science were more interesting.

Then I had some great history professors in college who were passionate about sharing how the past has shaped the world as we know it today. It also helped that our study materials and class discussions weren't sanitized or restricted. Sex, drugs, dirty deals, murder, religious debates, torture, rape, espionage, oppression of minorities and women....nothing was off topic or irrelevant. College kids are old enough to see how that all plays into societal norms and actions of the past. It was also the first time that I realized that historians don't have all the answers, and that what we know is always changing. That's exciting to me, and I still do enjoy reading history books and watching documentaries.

My first history prof told us all to read Lies My Teacher Told Me if we liked what we were learning in class. That book got me hooked, and I can't stop reading one thing or another about it . Then again, I don't have cable and I rarely watch TV.

So maybe some people who would otherwise be interested in history never had a teacher in high school that fostered a love for our past, or perhaps they didn't have the opportunity to go to college and discover that it's not all boring memorization.

Side note, if you're into podcasts: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I wish he would turn this into a weekly thing, it's really very entertaining.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
I honestly think it is because of the way history is taught in schools -precollege. I did well in school and loved to learn but my history classes were mostly taught by coaches who seemed to not know one lick about history. The courses were just about a bunch of battles and wars and their dates and generals. All we ever did in class was read the text silently and then a bunch of useless worksheets looking up dates and presidents, etc. College was a different story. The one and only us history class I took was very interesting and I learned a lot.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
I love history, mainly because of the excellent programming the history channel USED to have. Now it's all a bunch of 'reality' show drivel.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I think that history is absolutely fascinating. It helps us understand the present, appreciate the progress we've made, and better understand human nature. It also helps us avoid repeating certain mistakes.

Yet, so many people are not into history at all.

Why do you suppose that's so?

I have no interest at all in sports, the majority of Males I know are glued to sports.
I'm interested in religion and politics. A lot of people aren't. We're all different, so our interests are different as well.
I think it has to do with teachers. I have had a lot of History teachers. ALL of them spoke in monotone, and were very boring. You can't get kids interested in something if you're boring. When the material isn't that fascinating, it's even harder.

I do agree knowing some history is important, and not to get off topic, but Americans have a very short memory. Take the last election cycle for example.

The sheer scope of history presents it's own challenge. One could easily spend their entire life learning history and not even absorb a fraction of it.

Another thing preventing a healthy interest in history is lack of empathy.
We don't care because it doesn't affect us (so we think) or it hasn't happened to us so it doesn't matter.

It's sad really. I admit I slack some in the history department, but I know more than most.

That being said, science is much more important. History can teach us some valuable lessons, but science can fix mistakes, find cures, create new things, and progress the human race.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Not interested in History? Not even interested in TODAY.

Not one person that I know seems to have any idea that our government is considering going to war in Syria.

They can tell you anything you want to know about any current TV show, though.
I noticed that myself on this forum.. skin colour, ethnics seem to take over other subjects..but then in saying that Ive tried getting my grandkids round old buldings in the city to take an interest , and none are keen, think its boring..

Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Many of the skin color/race topics are started by trolls that have been banned here multiple times, from this side of the fence it looks like a small vocal minority gets more recognition than it should.
On topic:
I feel I have to chime in here. I'm Polish, I live in Poland. We've had Panzers rolling through the country, our history is very long and very complex, with many wars and battles and whatnot. In the media, historical topics pop up daily, you really can't swing a dead cat without hitting one... but the people ? The vast majority couldn't care less. They have no education, no knowledge of history. They mix up basic facts. Some are just ignorant, some are dumb, but many intelligent and educated people don't care. They focus on what's in front of them instead of looking back.
What I'm saying is, it's not an American problem, or not only American.
Especially nowadays when everything has to be interesting and simple, when as we know history is sometimes a bit dull but almost never simple.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History