Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM

280 posts, read 685,990 times

Advertisements

I think that history is absolutely fascinating. It helps us understand the present, appreciate the progress we've made, and better understand human nature. It also helps us avoid repeating certain mistakes.

Yet, so many people are not into history at all.

Why do you suppose that's so?

Last edited by VGravitas; 09-05-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
History and any other subject. Most American's aren't interested in anything but "Dancing with the Stars", seeing what the Kardashians are up to, updating their facebook account, there next latte at starbucks, and the latest smart phone app.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
"If people don't want to come to the ballfield, how you gonna stop 'em?"

...Yogi Berra

Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You need to listen to "Johnny is American" by Trent Reznor.
For starters, this particular history is quite ugly. It's bloody and gory. It's exploitery and full of lies.
Besides, Americans suffer from very poor general education, that does not gear them towards high matter of spiritual or historical nature. If it's not about easy life, or entertainment, or fun - why bother?
Watch Idiocracy.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
In a nutshell, because we haven't had Panzers rolling across our frontiers. Aside from the Civil War or our fathers and grandfathers fighting in World War II or Vietnam, history is something that pretty much happens somewhere else.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I think that history is absolutely fascinating. It helps us understand the present, appreciate the progress we've made, and better understand human nature. It also helps us avoid repeating certain mistakes.

Yet, so many people are not into history at all.

Why do you suppose that's so?
1) compared to math and science and PE and computer skills, it's a waste of time
2) you can pretty much learn history on your own
3) history is biased - What's taught is the government version of history approved by politicians (school board) and taught in government schools (WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO KILLED KENNEDY.)

Last edited by plmokn; 09-05-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
"If people don't want to come to the ballfield, how you gonna stop 'em?"

...Yogi Berra
Yogi's a smart guy, eh? Personally, I don't think we have a culture of 'worrying' about history. If you think about it, relative to other countries in the world, well we are a baby when it comes to having 'years' under our belt. We just do not have the history such as countries like Greece, Itlaly etc. The legacy of ancient history just oozes through in their cultures. Here well we try but honestly it doesn't seem to be inculcated in the young. 'Social Studies' seems as if it's just one more thing to simply get through the semester. hmmm...perhaps a loss. What's the famous quote by the Spanish philosopher Santayana?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'. History then exists and it is there not to be 'forgotten'.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Not interested in History? Not even interested in TODAY.

Not one person that I know seems to have any idea that our government is considering going to war in Syria.

They can tell you anything you want to know about any current TV show, though.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Not interested in History? Not even interested in TODAY.

Not one person that I know seems to have any idea that our government is considering going to war in Syria.

They can tell you anything you want to know about any current TV show, though.
Most Americans have no control over what happens in Syria, so we don't care. We don't care, we don't vote for the same reason. It's pretty much a waste of time. At least TV provides entertainment and in some cases education.

For example instead of researching the canned and prepackaged election "issues", I'd rather go roller blading at the beach. I research to the extent that I am prepare for the outcomes of elections (how it might affect my investments for example). My one vote won't make much difference. You can have my vote. I don't care.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
A government killing a couple thousand people with chemical weapons is worse than the same government killing a couple hundred thousand people with normal bullets and bombs... somehow. Now we can finally go in and have another fun, profitable (for the 1%, anyway) war!

So what else is on TV tonight?

Anyway, not ALL Americans are dumb and oblivious to history... they are just powerless in the face of such awesome stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History