Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Reaching? Nah. Groping.
Pretty much, but not Linda...

Quote:
If the Irish immigrants had arrived on our shore (A) in numbers that were as great as the established population and (B) were qualified to vote and (C) only voted for each other, then Linda Dearest would be croaking another tune.
But they didn't. They arrived as unqualified voters, and became citizens in due course. I even have a copy of one of my G-G-G (I lose track) grandfathers citizenship papers. He arrived in 1860. New York.
But Irish immigrants did arrive in New York in such substantial numbers (200,000) by 1855 that they dominated New York politics (see Tammany Hall).

Quote:
I am not a racist. I supported Herman Cain for President. I even sent him money every month. I wish he had gone further, and was disappointed when he failed.
Well that's bona fides if I've ever read any.

You may not be a "racist" but your line of unsubstantiated argument is.

You have been presented a list of African American elected officials and leaders from a distinguished scholar that refutes your claim (I suspect as a result of a erroneous historical understanding of the Reconstruction era) which you have yet to refute. The Reconstruction meme of incompetent black elected officials is not only historically in error but racist to boot. If you intend on not being viewed as a racist I suggest re-studying the brief era of actual Reconstruction or at the very least the citation of supporting evidence to your supposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Reaching? Nah. Groping.

If the Irish immigrants had arrived on our shore (A) in numbers that were as great as the established population and (B) were qualified to vote and (C) only voted for each other, then Linda Dearest would be croaking another tune.
But they didn't. They arrived as unqualified voters, and became citizens in due course. I even have a copy of one of my G-G-G (I lose track) grandfathers citizenship papers. He arrived in 1860. New York.

I am not a racist. I supported Herman Cain for President. I even sent him money every month. I wish he had gone further, and was disappointed when he failed.

Illiterate people have no business being in an elected office. Doesn't matter what color they are. For that matter stupid people ought not to be in elected office, either, but some elected officials are stupid anyway.
He might have gotten farther if he made better pizza.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
............You have been presented a list of African American elected officials and leaders from a distinguished scholar that refutes your claim (I suspect as a result of a erroneous historical understanding of the Reconstruction era) which you have yet to refute. The Reconstruction meme of incompetent black elected officials is not only historically in error but racist to boot. If you intend on not being viewed as a racist I suggest re-studying the brief era of actual Reconstruction or at the very least the citation of supporting evidence to your supposition.
I don't really care what you suggest.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Reaching? Nah. Groping.

Illiterate people have no business being in an elected office. Doesn't matter what color they are. For that matter stupid people ought not to be in elected office, either, but some elected officials are stupid anyway.
Illiterate white southerners voting was okay, right? They were always allowed to vote because their grandfathers had been able to vote.

Did it take the descendents of the Famine Irish a century to get the right to vote?

As for immigrants, who exactly do you think the Irish did vote for when they did get the right to vote??? Either Irish politicians or politicians who voted for the issues that were important to Irish immigrants in America. The same with the Germans, Italians, Poles, Jews, etc. Blacks didn't invent racial/ethnic voting patterns.

In fact, it was ethnic voting blocs in the big cities that influenced elections that spurred the immigration restriction movement in the 1890s, which was after most blacks in the South had effectively been disenfranchised.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
But they didn't. They arrived as unqualified voters, and became citizens in due course.
Boston politics were dominated by ethnic voting blocs, particularly Irish vs Native "Yankee". Former Democratic, latter Republican.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
I don't really care what you suggest.
Of course you don't. Ideologues who invade the History forum rarely can debate history with facts.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Weren't those getups hot, especially in the summer in the South? I could just imagine going through menopause all trussed up in a tent!
I have worked at several historic sites representing different periods, and have worn a variety of period clothing. There was a great deal of change in styles between 1840s and 1860s, but speaking particularly of ca. 1860 dress, it's better than other periods. Long loose sleeves and skirts in a natural fiber are SMART in a hot climate - they trap the sweat, which cools the skin down. I've been dressed in long skirts and sleeves on 100+ degree humid days and was cooler than silly tourists in polyester shorts and tops! (I smelled better, too!) Also, hoop skirts (although hard to sit in ) provide lots of nice air circulation. Let's not forget that pantalettes of the period had an opening at top for easy access to chamber pots, so swishing your skirt can provide some nice air flow up where the sun don't shine! Corsets are another story, of course.

But what I really wanted to say here is how, after working in Oklahoma and learning a great deal about the Cherokee Trail of Tears from Georgia (1834 - 38) and the years leading up to that awful time, I completely lost any sympathy for Scarlett O'Hara and her family. How did the Irishman Gerald O'Hara acquire his plantation Tara? By criminally and illegally booting Georgia Cherokee off their land. What goes around comes around, Scarlett!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
This is very true. I think comparing it to the fall of czarist Russia is the perfect analogy.
Well yeah.. Yeah, there is certain truth to it - can't you tell, the nostalgia?

Адмиралъ - Ð*оманс - YouTube

Zvezda plenitelnogo schastya

( Never mind the life of hundred million serfs or so, and what that was like...)

Last edited by erasure; 10-04-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I guess you can believe what you want, but there were black soldiers in the confederacy. Some were slaves that were forced to fight, others were free men who chose to, for whatever reason. Why would would think that is a "myth" is beyond me, especially considering there is photographic evidence of such.

I also didn't realize it was still debatable about how the war started. Abraham Lincoln was elected despite EVERY southern state voting against him. You can't get much more distinct than this:

New York, Pennslyvania, and Ohio could pretty much outvote the south just by themselves... As such, they felt that their only recourse to maintain any political say over their own affairs was to leave.

The United States then pushed slavery as the main issue because what kind of a case is "we are going to fight a war to make them follow our rules and continue to pay taxes to us" - if that were the issue the North rallied behind, they wouldn't have rallied at all.

So, at best it's a mixture - the South was fighting for freedom and "state's rights" while the north was fighting to abolish slavery (again, claiming this is what caused a lot of people to sign up to fight a war they otherwise would not have supported) but also to subjugate the south to laws that southerners did not support.

The declarations of secession specifically cites abolition and outlawing of slavery in the new territories.
Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Mississippi Secession

The South even opposed the rights of Northern states to prevent them from bringing their slaves and to harbor escaped slaves
Five myths about why the South seceded - The Washington Post

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I guess you can believe what you want, but there were black soldiers in the confederacy. Some were slaves that were forced to fight, others were free men who chose to, for whatever reason. Why would would think that is a "myth" is beyond me, especially considering there is photographic evidence of such.
It's not a myth, but they're an outlier. Far more black soliders fought for the union, or tried to hinder the south. There were numerous instances when the south massacred black soldiers:

Battle of Fort Pillow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Confederacy had passed a law stating that blacks captured in uniform would be tried as slave insurrectionists in civil courts—a capital offense with automatic sentence of death.

Quote:
The United States then pushed slavery as the main issue because what kind of a case is "we are going to fight a war to make them follow our rules and continue to pay taxes to us" - if that were the issue the North rallied behind, they wouldn't have rallied at all.

So, at best it's a mixture - the South was fighting for freedom and "state's rights" while the north was fighting to abolish slavery (again, claiming this is what caused a lot of people to sign up to fight a war they otherwise would not have supported) but also to subjugate the south to laws that southerners did not support.
That's wrong. Abolitionism wasn't popular among all groups in the north, many didn't want to go to battle to end slavery or for "insert racist word here". To "save the union" was more palatable. Which part of the reason Lincoln was reluctant to issue the Emaciaption Proclamation or initially make anti-slavery statement.

State's Rights is a bit off, too. Many northern states pre-civil war nullified the fugitive slave act and ignored the Dred Scott decision. One of the complaints southern states issued when succeeded was northern states ignoring the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History