Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,420,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Faw pretty much equalf Fayinf. Trvft me on that. Not a typo anywhere either..
Mac_Muz...English only please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,042,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Mac_Muz...English only please
Oh that is English.. Where the S and F look the same and or different as does the U which become V. The S and F can interchange at random.

In DC you can see these carved in stome on so-called public building...

In 'God We Trus't would appear like In God We Trvsft.

Fomehow I think yov know thif and are pvlling my leg..... Otherwife you would have to admitt learning fomething from 58 year old long hairf covntry boy!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,420,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh that is English.. Where the S and F look the same and or different as does the U which become V. The S and F can interchange at random.

In DC you can see these carved in stome on so-called public building...

In 'God We Trus't would appear like In God We Trvsft.

Fomehow I think yov know thif and are pvlling my leg..... Otherwife you would have to admitt learning fomething from 58 year old long hairf covntry boy!
Aye... I'm pvlling your leg

Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,623,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
A fasinating post majoun. I had no idea there were variations of the (US) southern dialect despite living there most of my life. Interestingly, there is nothing in any "English" country like the French Academy - a body to regulate the formal language (not that they have suceeded, slang has crept into it as well). I suppose some might consider Oxford English official in England, but its really just the language of the aristocracy and upper crust.
I was under the impression the official language of a country is the language of the upper crust. Its not often the ruling class of a country does not choose to communicate and educate using their own language as a primary, or only national language.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,720,735 times
[quote=slowlane;13471953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
There are different Southern accents...coastal accents are MUCH different from Southern Highlands accents (there you have the influence of the Scots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

Yes- and it's my observation that many younger people are giving up the Southern coastal accents which their parents have (non-rhotic / "R" becomes a schwa) in favor of Southern Inland accents (where "R" is pronounced, and the long "I" is drawn out). It's my theory that this is due to the influence of commercial country-music singers who all have the "Southern Inland" accent as standard.
Whenever i have visited my relatives in South Carolina over the years i can always make out the different accent of those who live in Charleston (coastal) and the others who reside in Lake City (inland). Sadly i've lost most of my accent being away from my home state for years since i've living along the mexican border unless i go to visit them back home and hear them speak it especially the inland accent and that will usually bring out my childhood accent for a few days at least

Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM

248 posts, read 619,162 times
English don't speak English, they speak fierce dialects such as Manchurian, Cockney, etc.

Then you have the Queen's English, also called the Q.u.e.e.r English by Scots.

I guess that Americans dropped dialects and started to speak English.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM

521 posts, read 1,476,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
English don't speak English, they speak fierce dialects such as Manchurian, Cockney, etc.

Then you have the Queen's English, also called the Q.u.e.e.r English by Scots.

I guess that Americans dropped dialects and started to speak English.
LOL, now now, play nicely - no trolling allowed on the History forum.

By the way, I think the dialect is Mancunian - although Manchester does have a sizable Chinese community now I come to think of it.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,709,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Do an accent test online. Pa has no discernible accent as do its surrounding states to a lesser extent. I imagine this is largely due to the great number of germans and others( french/alsace lutherns, swedes, irish, welsh and english that comprised its population. As well as being in the middle of the colonies.
I'm told there are big differences between french canadians and true french in language.
The Philly accent would be "general northeastern" and was HEAVILY influenced by the Irish population there. It isn't quite as heavy as a NY, RI or MA accent, though. (Chris Matthews is often mentioned as an example of a famous American with a Philly/South Jersey accent. )

The evolution of the northeastern accent in general was very influenced by Irish immigration. Immigration resulted in Italian, German, Yiddish, and Spanish words getting into the general northeastern dialect. I don't know if Yiddishisms entered Philly English to the same extent that they did in NY English, although Philadelphia was a major destination for Central/Eastern European Jewish immigrants. The New Orleans accent resembles the Philly/South Jersey accent due to heavy Irish immigration there in the 19th century ; films set in New Orleans often get this wrong and have characters speaking with Southern accents.

Western PA I'd consider to be part of the Midwestern/Great Lakes English zone.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,042,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Aye... I'm pvlling your leg

Hey Lady! leaft ya' kin do if fpell it right!

"Aye... I'm pvlling yovr leg." See?

Yeah I know that, but what else would you expect from a cheap biker tramp, long hair country boy?

My own mother ain't got no idea where the mould I came from went, you seen it?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,877,920 times
Anytime you live 3000 miles away for two plus centuries your language will diverge. It diverged in England itself

Its fasinating that while dialects declined in the US, they remained strong in England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History