Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 16,439 times

Advertisements

I just heard a story on NPR- "Making Words" from "To the Best of Our Knowledge", that the British accent today developed after the war of independance. After 1820, the Brits started dropping their r's and changed the a's like in "that" said in American-speak with a flat nasal sound; to "thaut" like in "ought". They changed other things like dropped "got" and "gotten" as ungramatical. This show is available on Podcast and is very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,127,240 times
Well, to tell you the truth, in Spain we understand Americans better.
Americans are also far more open and cultured, they eat Spanish food without smelling it first.
Personally, I don't understand English as spoken by most English here, maybe it's because they are always drunk or because they come from rough linguistic ghettos.
American English is uniform, at least for our ears..
Most English here speak very rough dialects, I'd say about 95 percent....
Some, very few, maybe 3 to 4 percent, speak a very nice English, you can tell them apart right away because they belong to another caste.
They dress differently and behave in a different manner.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,356,987 times
~

Did the English of 1776 speak with the same accent
they do today ?

I've heard the theory that breakaway English colonies
retain the type of "Englishness" existing at the time of
the "divorce."

~

Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,539,690 times
Once again I'm joining this discussion very late, so if I repeat something, my apologies.

Languages, dialects and accents, obviously, evolve over time. Now, add geographic isolation so that the language spoken in one area evolves idependently from the same language in another area. Within a few generations there will be noticeable differences (e.g. Boston accent, New Yorker accent). Eventually, one may get two different languages, or such differences as to make it difficult for one group to understand the other.

An example I like to use is the difference between the Choctaw and Chickasaw languages. Linguists generally agree that they used to be one language. Many hundreds of years ago, two groups of people went their separate ways. Geographic isolation caused their spoken languages to evolve independently. They are sufficiently similar that, by working patiently and very diligently, a native speaker of one can begin to understand a native speaker of the other.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:35 AM

I don't think that the American spoken at the 13 Colonies was very similar to English spoken in England at that time. I've met many "colonial" English, English people born in India, Malaysia, Jamaica, etc, and their English is different, a much better English. Colonials don't speak dialect.

Austrialians don't speak "colonial English", but low class English.

Their English was (most of "colonials" I knew are now dead) similar to that spoken by Higgings, at Magnum P.I.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,004,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I don't think that the American spoken at the 13 Colonies was very similar to English spoken in England at that time. I've met many "colonial" English, English people born in India, Malaysia, Jamaica, etc, and their English is different, a much better English. Colonials don't speak dialect.

Austrialians don't speak "colonial English", but low class English.

Their English was (most of "colonials" I knew are now dead) similar to that spoken by Higgings, at Magnum P.I.
Higgins, of course, was played by actor John Hillerman, an American born and raised in Texas...

Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Higgins, of course, was played by actor John Hillerman, an American born and raised in Texas...
Yup, but he surely had the "colonial" accent down pat...

Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

----

Well, he did it very well. Colonial English is an English "recreated" by people that were not born in the UK, but in their colonies.
Generally, Colonials had a better education and economical standing than English and they had no regional accents.

Last edited by Manolón; 08-16-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM

521 posts, read 1,476,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Generally, Colonials had a better education and economical standing than English and they had no regional accents.
You really are a bitter and twisted racist - I expect you are one of those Spanish football fans that still think it's fun to make monkey noices at the black players.

Get a life.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

I don't like football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History