Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,162,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolón View Post
well, to tell you the truth, in spain we understand americans better.
Americans are also far more open and cultured, they eat spanish food without smelling it first.
personally, i don't understand english as spoken by most english here, maybe it's because they are always drunk or because they come from rough linguistic ghettos.
american english is uniform, at least for our ears..
Most english here speak very rough dialects, i'd say about 95 percent....
Some, very few, maybe 3 to 4 percent, speak a very nice english, you can tell them apart right away because they belong to another caste.
They dress differently and behave in a different manner.
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,118,718 times
Sorry, my experience!!
I own a hotel and I deal with British tourists on a daily basis.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,242,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Well, to tell you the truth, in Spain we understand Americans better.
Americans are also far more open and cultured, they eat Spanish food without smelling it first.
Personally, I don't understand English as spoken by most English here, maybe it's because they are always drunk or because they come from rough linguistic ghettos.

American English is uniform, at least for our ears..
Most English here speak very rough dialects, I'd say about 95 percent....
An impression of Brits not limited to Spain, unfortunately.

I have been told that the 95% you refer to are actually speaking High Middle Neanderthal dialects, or at least that is the joke here.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM

Kevxu

But on the other side, you also find English that speak a marvelous English.
I met a couple from Kent, real good, beautiful English.
I spent some time in England, Hove, and I don't remember having any problem with their English.
But most of Brits here speak "High Middle Neanderthal"..
I don't know if it's a regional or education problem, or a "caste" problem.
Scots are entirely different, their accent is funny and they are more like the Spanish in character.
We also have scurrilous characters that speak awful dialects, but they are not nearly as common as in England.
There are some Andalusian dialects that are very difficult to understand even for trained ears.

Last edited by Manolón; 08-18-2010 at 03:58 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,242,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Kevxu

But on the other side, you also find English that speak a marvelous English.
I met a couple from Kent, real good, beautiful English.
I spent some time in England, Hove, and I don't remember having any problem with their English.
But most of Brits here speak "High Middle Neanderthal"..
I don't know if it's a regional or education problem, or a "caste" problem......
I've been exposed to it for years now, and I have simply asked because it fascinates me. Most of what I hear and find very difficult to impossible to understand are actually very pronounced regional accents. However, education and social class seems have a big influence within regional dialects.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,261,000 times
For a fascinating read on this subject, try Bill Bryson's "The Mother Tongue." In truth, English evolved both in England and the United States from a single point. For example, lots of more archaic English words were preserved in America long after disappearing from the British Isles. Also, some English dialects emerged in far higher proportion to the number of speakers back in England. Really great book.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,676,330 times
One thing that has always stuck me as odd is that while it's easy to distinguish the british english, scottish and irish accents from north american english accent however when it comes to singing it's very hard to tell if the singer is north american, british, irish etc.

Unless of course its Herman's Hermit's singing ''Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter''

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 16,429 times
Maybe the Americans are better understood in Spain than the English because it takes more money to travel to Spain, hense more educated, hense better speakers. Isn't there a TENDENCY for better educated people to speak with more enunciation? There are places in America where I can't understand people, and I'm from America, places where the reading levels and high school graduation rates are much lower. There are some wonderful people that don't enunciate their words, don't get me wrong and there is nothing wrong with being undereducated.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 AM

Not really.
For example, when American soldiers and sailors used to come to Barcelona many years ago, they were very easy to understand even taking into account that many came from poor or rural backgrounds.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 AM

10,264 posts, read 15,989,924 times
Accents and dialects change as we were isolated from Britain for some time.

I'm actually more curious how we and the Canadians are the only former British colonies to start walking and driving on the right side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History