Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,796,584 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

20 posts and I didn't spot a single reference to the indigenous populations.

What, the American Indians had no influence? I think perhaps they did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,225,875 times
How about the difference between Aussie, Kiwi and South African accents? I always try to see if I can peg those.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,674,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Interesting.

Right before your post on post #20 i just asked this question.....

Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,796,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Right before your post on post #20 i just asked this question.....
Some days I am admittedly blind as a bat!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,161,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgattonian View Post
English has evolved over many centuries and depending on where you lived, and who you were, would depend on the way you spoke, and how you spelt. Take London for example and forgetting for the moment the influx of immigrants in recent years and just look at the native population.
  • You have people who talk pure English or the Queens English.
  • If you live in West London then Generally you will speak not so posh but nicely
  • SW London varies depending on the area from Cockney to Nice and clear
  • East London is where the true Cockney’s come from and there you will find the real “cor blimey mate” stuff
  • South Londoners are more like East-enders
  • North Londoners speak more like West Londoners but with a slightly different accent
You only need to travel say 50/60 miles from London into rural England where you will start hearing accents which can be hard to understand and the further west you go they have accents very similar to Americans. I do believe, but may be wrong that a lot of the early settlers the New World were from the West of England so that might explain why you talk as you do.
I now live in SW London and have been here so long now, that I talk and sound just like everyone else. I was born and raised in West London and spoke with a clear accent using no slang at all.
To give you an example of how spellings for places have changed with the years here is a simple one: The Town in London I live in is called Mitcham, but 300yrs ago it was called Mecham.
There is one thing I do get offended at, is when you talk of British English, there is no such thing. English is the languages that is spoken in England, never mind the different accents.
I do hope this is a helpful to you all.

Happy thanksgiving day to you all.
That's all true, but it's also true that the various accents in the UK have become more homogenized with the introduction of television. For example, the pure Yorkshire dialect is nearly dead. I lived in Yorkshire for many years and didn't have any trouble understanding people around me, because they spoke with a Yorkshire accent but didn't really use many words that I hadn't heard before; if they still used the Yorkshire dialect I'd have had a lot more trouble!

What I observed is that people from the South spoke differently from people up North but there weren't very many lexical differences between them. One thing I found particularly irritating about some Southern accents was the tendency to originate the vowels further back of the throat and replacing Fs and THs with Vs...like "brovah" instead of "brother".

Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Interesting.

They definitely did, though I think their influence was more lexical than anything else.

Two great books to read about this are "The Mother Tongue" and "Made in America" by Bill Bryson; they are light but very entertaining reads for the layman. I love them both and re-read them frequently.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,640,483 times
Chavs speak like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
like "brovah" instead of "brother".

Old 11-22-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Chavs speak like that.
In the South they do. Our chavs up north spoke differently.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:24 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,960,073 times
Take a look at the people on the east coast, they have a different accent to us in the West. Their accents are more.. British per say.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,425,529 times
Speaking of the hear and now....I have lived in Virginia since 1989, I was I guess 15 when I moved here from Maryland.

Now. I have a bit of a southern accent, an adaption from living here all these years. I am 33 now. When I go back home and I am around my family, my "Maryland" accent comes back, and its like I never left, until about three days or so after I come home to Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History