Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post

the price of gasoline and fuel oil would knock 'em dead
The price of a gallon of gas now is the same as a hamburger or a chocolate malt, a paperback novel or Sunday paper, six postage stamps, or half the price of a movie ticket or a haircut. Same as it was then.

If you think gas is expensive, to in to the fountain drinks, and start filling cups with iced tea or Coca Cola, until you have a gallon of it, see now much that rings up to.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-12-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
OK, I'm going to be he guy stepping out of the time machine, and here is my question:

How come everybody spends so much time working? In 1950, I work 40 hours a week, my wife stays home housekeeping and childrearing, and every Friday I bring home enough for everything we need and a few things we want. Why does everybody now need a second job and a working wife to barely get by? Work was hard then, heavy lifting, and accounting with a fountain pen. I thought if I worked hard, I could make you a good life where you wouldn't have to, but now you spend twice as much time at the job.

Why does it still take four years to get a college education. My kids got a degree in four years, when you had to walk to the library and spend all day there, or send a letter and wait as week for a reply, to find out what nowadays you can google in 30 seconds.

My parents came over here at the turn of the century and ran smack into the first world war, the depression, the second world war. And I get out of this dad blamed time machine and all I hear is whiners. I worked hard when times were tough, and I served in WW-two, to save the world for you kids, but if I had known you guys would turn out like this, I wouldn't have bothered.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM

779 posts, read 972,604 times
TV's and radios that play instantly when turned on. (No tubes to warm up)
Telephones have dials that don't rotate.
Locomotives that don't burn coal.
Airplanes without propellers.
Electric typewriters.
Monthly Electric bills over $30.
No overhead open wire telephone lines with glass insulators.

Last edited by counterclockwise; 10-12-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
The most difficult thing to explain to an American of the 1950s is how we gave up our freedoms without even putting up a fight.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
To expand on the question, while there are a lot of obvious differences between now and 1950 in terms of technology, culture, etc., I wonder which changes or new things they'd grasp easily and which would be utterly perplexing.

Someone from the 50's and the 40's show up daily in my life since they are now in their 60's and 70's and still breathing.

I'm not sure what the point of the question is unless of course you mean the 1850's.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
People, please do not air your personal politics in this thread. We have a Politics forum for that. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
Racial and gender equality. Gay marriage.

All things that I support, but also all things that I imagine would be hard for the average American from the 50s to understand. Especially since many people alive today from that era have such a hard time wrapping their heads around that concept, both my parents included.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, I'm going to be he guy stepping out of the time machine, and here is my question:

How come everybody spends so much time working? In 1950, I work 40 hours a week, my wife stays home housekeeping and childrearing, and every Friday I bring home enough for everything we need and a few things we want. Why does everybody now need a second job and a working wife to barely get by? Work was hard then, heavy lifting, and accounting with a fountain pen. I thought if I worked hard, I could make you a good life where you wouldn't have to, but now you spend twice as much time at the job.

Why does it still take four years to get a college education. My kids got a degree in four years, when you had to walk to the library and spend all day there, or send a letter and wait as week for a reply, to find out what nowadays you can google in 30 seconds.

My parents came over here at the turn of the century and ran smack into the first world war, the depression, the second world war. And I get out of this dad blamed time machine and all I hear is whiners. I worked hard when times were tough, and I served in WW-two, to save the world for you kids, but if I had known you guys would turn out like this, I wouldn't have bothered.

Reminds me of the CO-OP feed store where I was farming.
I recall when they first got computers.
The CO-OP manager was so proud and declared how much time computers saved in the office.

An old farmer said ..........." if those computers save so much time, why are there 3 women working in the office sitting on a desk with computers. Elsie used to be the only one and she didn't have a computer. ".

Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The most difficult thing to explain to an American of the 1950s is how we gave up our freedoms without even putting up a fight.
That's a wrap

Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
1950? If not mentioned yet it would have to be a African America President...Next would be the term Africa American rather than "N". Remember we are talking about 1950. So this would cover the race of most any person coming back from that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History