Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times

Advertisements

As opposed to being forthright and honest. You might bend someone's tender sensibilities but life never really was fair.

A question was asked. I answered from my perspective of having been around almost seven decades. End of discussion!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
As opposed to being forthright and honest. You might bend someone's tender sensibilities but life never really was fair.
Like I pointed out (and which you ignored), what you call political correctness was alive and well in the 1950s. If anything, our 1950s time traveller would more likely be appalled that there isn't more social condemnation of, and peer-group influence upon, non-conformist behavior today - as opposed to the silly notion that they'd be shocked by the existence of speech codes and behavioral expectations.

Quote:
A question was asked. I answered from my perspective of having been around almost seven decades. End of discussion!
Thanks for that added irony of simultaneously complaining about political correctness while demanding that the discussion stop. You've made my point for me.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,178 times
Cell phones

Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
As opposed to what?

The network demand that Lucy Ricardo only be referred to as 'expecting'? The policy that she and Ricky, and almost all other sitcom couples of the time, were only shown in separate beds?

The Hays Code, with its long list of things not to be shown on the silver screen?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays_code

The general media policy that the sexual indiscretions of politicians was to be ignored?

Why do you think Tropic of Cancer, written by an American and published in France in 1934, could not be published in the United States until 1961?

The expectation, particularly in certain parts of the country, that certain individuals of certain races address certain individuals of other races with deference, and as 'sir' and 'ma'am'?

What do you think McCarthyism was?

Where do you think the social conformity, for which the 1950s is known, derived? It came from the pervasive sense of conformity and the relatively intense peer-group expectations of that decade. From speech codes and ideas and policies that we now call 'political correctness' - with the usual proviso that people who harp on and on about political correctness unfailingly exempt those speech codes and similar expectations of which they happen approve from the 'PC' label.
A little correction: the Hays Code did not require separate beds. It was the BBFC which required separate beds. Hollywood didn't want to risk losing its biggest overseas market by not going by the BBFC rules as well as the Hays rules. They were very similar but there were a few differences here and there. The separate beds for married couples being one of them.

Otherwise I agree. PC is very similar to 1950s conformity.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
How expensive things are today.................but then realizing how high wages are today.

( comparing today to 1950 )

Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
A little correction: the Hays Code did not require separate beds. It was the BBFC which required separate beds. Hollywood didn't want to risk losing its biggest overseas market by not going by the BBFC rules as well as the Hays rules. They were very similar but there were a few differences here and there. The separate beds for married couples being one of them.

Otherwise I agree. PC is very similar to 1950s conformity.
I didn't say that it did.

I separately mentioned I Love Lucy (where the 'two beds' call was made by the network, CBS) and the Hays Code in reference to the 'silver screen' (ie, films and not television).

Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
What happened to people that made them totally ignorant of what their country was like 60 short years ago?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,193 times
Talking Smart phones

They would have missed the whole technological boom so would
not understand computers either. Then there is the whole social networking
thing.....

Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Political correctness!
There was just as much "political correctness" in the 1950s as there is now. It was just different because the people in political power were different.

Here are some examples of 1950s political correctness:

-Women staying home to cook and clean and care for more kids than they wanted to have with absolutely no help from husbands when they would have preferred to have paying jobs.
-People pretending to be straight when they were LGB or T (to the point of getting married and having kids and not telling their spouses their true inclinations).
-People going to church every Sunday when they were non-believers, just because to stay home would cause them too much trouble.
-People pretending to be less liberal than their beliefs led them for fear of being branded as communists.
-Women wearing very uncomfortable clothing not because they wanedt to (like crazy young women in five-inch heels today) but because they would scandalize their families if they showed up in public without certain kinds of underwear.
-People feeling far more comfortable committing what we today would call child or spousal abuse because no one would criticize them.

These are ways of life that have changed (or are in the process) because many of the people who run the government, the media, the schools, and even religions today are far more open than they were fifty years ago. People's lives aren't so proscribed today; we have far more choices on how to spend our time and with whom. If people being willing to do major things that aren't their personal inclination isn't "political correctness," I don't know what is.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Like I pointed out (and which you ignored), what you call political correctness was alive and well in the 1950s. If anything, our 1950s time traveller would more likely be appalled that there isn't more social condemnation of, and peer-group influence upon, non-conformist behavior today - as opposed to the silly notion that they'd be shocked by the existence of speech codes and behavioral expectations.

Thanks for that added irony of simultaneously complaining about political correctness while demanding that the discussion stop. You've made my point for me.
Sorry but the only point you've made in your hubris is the one crowning your pate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History