Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times

Advertisements

I'm presently reading Daniel Boone. I was shocked to find out that one of his daughters was concieved by his brother while Daniel was away in the wilderness for two years. She was the child he was closest to and lived with in his elderly years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
"An Army At Dawn" by Atkinson, detailing the first months of American army operations in the ETO in World War II. A really amazing account of how the Army had to shake off the cobwebs, divest themselves of incompetents, prove themselves to their allies, prevail against the Germans, and become a formidable fighting force. Really makes you understand how remarkable it was that we developed an army from scratch in almost no time at all.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Just finished "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison, story of a black man who moved from one of the Carolinas to Harlem before WWII. Very interesting (fictional) account of race relations, very interesting contrast to the current democratic race for presidential nomination.

Now reading Herzog by Saul Bellow, have no clue what it is about but he's sort of nuts which bothers me since I can totally relate!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I'm reading "1491" by Charles C. Mann, about what the Americas were really like before the arrival of Europeans in the 15th century.
ParkTwain, I just ran across this post and no doubt you've finished 1491 and moved on, but if you're still intrigued - "if you're still in the need of something to read," C.C. Mann began an author thread for 1491 at Amazon in 2005, I guess to coincide with its paperback release. He has posted there frequently and generously, most recent post January 2008.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Default TRUMAN - David McCullough

Interesting about an unpopular in his time president because of a war that took place during his presidency (Korea) and the beginning of the cold war in Europe. Thank god for his fortitude in stopping Stalin from rolling over Europe. But perhaps not so good his ignoring the council of his secretary of state, Clark Clifford, against Truman's support of the establishment of Israel. The destructve effects we are still experiencing today as Clifford had predicted.

And a great story about his early years and family, and as a heroic WWI artilliary officer who later suddenly and unexpectedly inherited WWII from a disdainful president who kept his vice president out of the loop and ignorant of White House business.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
The Professor and the Madman ( making of the Oxford Dictionary)

So many participants in it's "birth". I love the history of words and I found the relationship portrayed here fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History