Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
The second great period of European slavery had barely gotten started by 1865, not that anyone was uncouth enough to call it slavery that time around. But as the above poster said, you've already got two very good examples in a handful of replies, hardly a consensus that there were none.
Correction: So is the consensus that we can only come up with one Black European Nineteenth Century Writer aside from the one I already mentioned in the original post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Grasping for a black heritage I see.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Grasping for a black heritage I see.

Actually, I was trying to write a paper about the influence of several black european writers from the 1800's. I could only think of the one or two mentioned on this forum. I would like to discuss 5 or 6 people. If no more exist, just say that you only know of two and there may possibly be no more. I don't understand the relevance of the "black heritage" comment...

If there are no more, it leads me to ask why they are so few. Is that something that can be answered on this forum?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

Actually, I was trying to write a paper about the influence of several black european writers from the 1800's. I could only think of the one or two mentioned on this forum. I would like to discuss 5 or 6 people. If no more exist, just say that you only know of two and there may possibly be no more. I don't understand the relevance of the "black heritage" comment...

If there are no more, it leads me to ask why they are so few. Is that something that can be answered on this forum?
Would there have been all that many black, educated people in Europe in 1850? The population of all of Europe was only 200 million in 1850. Colonization of Africa - and any place else that someone could think of - was all the rage until after 1900, and non-Europeans were thought to be inferior.

I know a little about Belgium and its relationship with Congo, and I find it hard to believe that in 19th century Belgium there would be even one black educated person. Let alone, one who wanted to write.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:

Actually, I was trying to write a paper about the influence of several black european writers from the 1800's.
Even more
Who/what even gave you this idea and what "influence" are you talking about???

Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Would there have been all that many black, educated people in Europe in 1850? The population of all of Europe was only 200 million in 1850. Colonization of Africa - and any place else that someone could think of - was all the rage until after 1900, and non-Europeans were thought to be inferior.

I know a little about Belgium and its relationship with Congo, and I find it hard to believe that in 19th century Belgium there would be even one black educated person. Let alone, one who wanted to write.
However, we have slave narratives in america that were the written oral accounts of many slaves before and after 1865. Plus, I said all of the nineteenth century. Are you saying that in 1870, for example, there were exponential more black people producing literature of any kind than in all of Europe? If so, why do you think that is.

I should also note that these are not loaded questions. The tone of some the posts seems to be filled with snarky attitude or insinuating that I am trying to make some sort of underlying point. I just have a variety of questions that I assumed the guys on the history forum could answer.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Even more
Who/what even gave you this idea and what "influence" are you talking about???
The idea came from the notion that there are black people elsewhere that produced work comparable to black Americans from 1800 to 1900.

Influence can mean a wide variety of things. Some say that slave narratives and black antebellum writers played a role in the transition from the romantic to the realist literary movement, for example.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
The idea came from the notion that there are black people elsewhere that produced work comparable to black Americans from 1800 to 1900.

Influence can mean a wide variety of things. Some say that slave narratives and black antebellum writers played a role in the transition from the romantic to the realist literary movement, for example.
Your problem is that there were very few blacks in Europe prior to the 20th century, so the pool of potential black writers would be miniscule. Moreover, these writers' experiences might be not have anything to do with being black or mixed race and everything to do with their European nationality. Pushkin was a Russian aristocrat who happened to have an African ancestor.

I don't think your paper is do-able.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Your problem is that there were very few blacks in Europe prior to the 20th century, so the pool of potential black writers would be miniscule. Moreover, these writers' experiences might be not have anything to do with being black or mixed race and everything to do with their European nationality. Pushkin was a Russian aristocrat who happened to have an African ancestor.

I don't think your paper is do-able.
I'm not looking for writers that necessarily discuss being black or mixed-race... just black European writers. Nevertheless, you all are saying that these people do not exist (aside from the two that we mentioned), correct?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
However, we have slave narratives in america that were the written oral accounts of many slaves before and after 1865. Plus, I said all of the nineteenth century. Are you saying that in 1870, for example, there were exponential more black people producing literature of any kind than in all of Europe? If so, why do you think that is.

I should also note that these are not loaded questions. The tone of some the posts seems to be filled with snarky attitude or insinuating that I am trying to make some sort of underlying point. I just have a variety of questions that I assumed the guys on the history forum could answer.
I probably didn't explain myself.
I'm saying there were many more blacks in America - per capita, I'm saying - in the 19th century than in Europe. At least that is my assumption. I have not been able to find figures corroborating that assumption. Maybe you can, and if so, I welcome a correction.

When given opportunity, blacks in America were able to keep pace with any other race. But America has been the "Land of Opportunity". My remarks are based on my assumption that a greater number of blacks succeeded in America for the same reasons that a greater number of whites succeeded - opportunity. There was limited opportunity for whites in Europe, so I am assuming there was limited opportunity for blacks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History