Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times

Advertisements

As the link mentioned, Jackson established the revolving door between media and politics by bringing a newspaper editor into his kitchen cabinet. 200 years later it's still common. Russert, Matthews, Stepanapoulous (sp?), Tony Snow, etc.

When a local paper here, the Seattle PI, went belly-up, most of the staff went to work for state and local gov't agencies.

I didn't see mentioned that Jackson is on the 'top 10 richest presidents' list. He made money from land speculation and had a net worth (presumably inflation adjusted) over $100 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

I didn't see mentioned that Jackson is on the 'top 10 richest presidents' list. He made money from land speculation and had a net worth (presumably inflation adjusted) over $100 million.
Didn't know this. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't have the details on that event, but Jackson had a history of sorts with pistols that would not fire.

8. In 1835, Andrew Jackson became the first president in U.S. history to experience and survive an assassination attempt. The perpetrator was Richard Lawrence, an unemployed house painter.
That's true. Lawrence drew a pistol, aimed at Jackson and the pistol misfired. Jackson takes his cane in hand and while he is whuppin' the holy tar out of Lawrence, Lawrence pulls out another pistol. It misfires, too!
Lawrence was found guilty, but was insane, so they let him live. He died in confinement.

I'm tempted to make remarks about bringing muzzle loading pistols to a sword fight, but the British tried to kill Jackson with a sword when Jackson was a lad. That didn't work, either.
The sword incidence is portrayed differently in this video. Of course there could have been another incidence. From God's Frontiersmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0s...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
The sword incidence is portrayed differently in this video. Of course there could have been another incidence. From God's Frontiersmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0s...ature=youtu.be
Nice video!

That was the incident I was referring to. Young Jackson refused to clean a British officer's boots, so the officer smacked Jackson with the side of his sword.
If the officer had actually wanted to kill Jackson, he would have done so, I'm sure. I misspoke when I said there was an attempt on Jackson's life.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,139 times
Quote:
Nice video!

That was the incident I was referring to. Young Jackson refused to clean a British officer's boots, so the officer smacked Jackson with the side of his sword.
If the officer had actually wanted to kill Jackson, he would have done so, I'm sure. I misspoke when I said there was an attempt on Jackson's life.
Cheers, aye not a bad video, though they still had him speaking with an Ulster accent lol. Maybe he had picked it up from his parents.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 1,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Andrew Jackson ranks among the most controversial presidents of all time -- and he's surely one of my favorite to learn about. I came across this article that has a few "interesting facts" about Jackson:

Interesting Facts About Andrew Jackson

The article neglects to mention a few key issues that defined his presidency, including the South Carolina Nullification Crisis.

What else do you feel is missing?

Unfortunately, the link is broken now.
I have read many interesting points about him today! For instance, Jackson had very bad temper!
Source: Wikipedia
Also, do you know he took bullets in his ribs! I think you will find travel map of Andrew Jackson from Wikitour interesting too.
However, unfortunately he had many slaves which is a black spot on his life.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Nice video!

I don't know if it has been mentioned that Jackson fought in the revolution when he was only 12 or 13 years old. I believe the incident with the Brit officer occurred when he was being held as a POW.

Also that Jackson and his wife were both very dedicated smokers. They would sit and puff away at pipes to the point where the room would be totally clouded w/ smoke.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not covered in the linked list is the fact that Andrew Jackson was the only US president to kill someone outside of war.

May 30th, 1806, Jackson met in a duel and killed a rival Tennessee horse breeder, Charles Dickinson. Dickinson had charged Jackson with welching on a bet, and also mocked the legitimacy of Jackson's marriage. Them was fightin' words for the volcanic tempered Jackson.<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Andrew Jackson loved his Rachel.
He absolutely did and he loved children as well.

When Rachel’s brother and sister-in-law gave birth to twin boys, the Jacksons adopted one of them as their own in 1809. Named Andrew Jackson Jr., he would grow up at The Hermitage but also remain close to his biological brother and parents, now his cousin, aunt and uncle. He went on to marry and have five children of his own.

Jackson also became the legal guardian to a number of other children, including a Native American orphan Jackson found in battle.

https://thehermitage.com/learn/andrew-jackson/family/

Maybe he wasn't so very hateful of Indians or perhaps he was just a flawed human being, not to mention a politician.

Quote:
I'm glad you said that. He did, too.Rachel, evidently was a rounder of some sort when she was younger and something of a 19th century free spirit, too.

But she was considered dowdy by the time Andy ran for President, and caught holy hell from the press and from Andy's detractors. I say she was "bullied". And most stories tell that she did not want to go to Washington. If that's the case her wish was granted. She died and Andy went by himself. snip>\
I agree she was "bullied", and maybe she was considered to be a "rounder' and something of a "free spirit" but sometimes 'there's a reason for everything'. And no she didn't want to go to Washington and she died less than three months before his inauguration.

Rachel Jackson

Rachel was known as a friendly, vivacious young woman. When she was 17, she met Lewis Robards, whom she married on March 1, 1785. However, he proved a pathologically jealous and abusive husband who falsely accused Rachel of adultery despite having had adulterous relationships himself. The couple separated in 1788, and despite several attempted reconciliations, his fierce temper and violent behaviour convinced her to leave him permanently in 1790.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Rachel-Jackson

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default Thoroughbred racing and the "duel”

It seems there was more to that duel between Andrew Jackson and Charles Dickinson.

Andrew Jackson was a leading breeder and owner of thoroughbreds in the state of Tennessee long before he became President and there was a dispute with Joseph Erwin (Dickinson's father-in-law) and the cancellation of a race between Thruxton (Jackson's horse) and Erwin’s undefeated horse Ploughboy.

A dispute ensued between Erwin and his son-in-law with Jackson on the forfeiture fee when Erwin cancelled the race, so the 'plot thickens'. In the middle of the argument Dickinson insulted Jackson's wife which prompted Jackson to challenge Dickinson to a duel.

Subsequently Jackson was shot by Dickinson and the bullet remained lodged near his heart for the remainder of his life (or so the story goes).

Thruxton, Andrew Jackson's Racehorse - Presidential Pet Museum

Andrew and Rachel Jackson attended the first original horse race in Gallatin Tennessee in 1804

Early Horse Racing Tracks

Early Horse Racing Tracks | Entries | Tennessee Encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1565 View Post
Unfortunately, the link is broken now.
I have read many interesting points about him today! For instance, Jackson had very bad temper!
Source: Wikipedia
Also, do you know he took bullets in his ribs! I think you will find travel map of Andrew Jackson from Wikitour interesting too.
However, unfortunately he had many slaves which is a black spot on his life.
Lots of black spots I'm afraid:

1. He refused to enforce Supreme Court decisions and violated his oath of office which requires a president to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed".

2. He used the Army to drive the Cherokee Indians off lands that they had legal title too. During the "Trail of Tears March" hundreds of Indians lost their lives due to disease and bad weather.

3. He was a slave owner as you say.

4. He promulgated the "Specie Circular" which came out of nowhere and suddenly required the government to take nothing but gold and silver in payment of its debts thus practically forcing a severe recession, the Panic of 1837, upon Americans.

5. He talked Congress into abolishing the Bank of the United States. That would be like abolishing the federal reserve system which would throw the USA into a monetary crisis if it happened today.

6. He appointed many uneducated and unqualified people to important government positions.

When historians attempt to praise Jackson they often say something like "he stood up for the common man". Two hundred years later, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they meant.

If they ever take one of our early leaders off the face of our currency, I hope that it is Jackson. The others belong there. He does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History