U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,513,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
I know there are all types of behind the scene security, but all the security in the world is not going to always prevent this type of thing.
And no one given the responsibility would differ with you. There is no such thing as making someone assassination proof outside of putting them in a permanent bubble.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM

545 posts, read 735,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently you forgot what you wrote.

I suppose that we can quibble over assassinations vs attempted assassinations but the point still holds within the context of the discussion, i.e., the Secret Service's seemingly lack of security for JFK.

Besides the successful assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley there were attempts on Andrew Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt and the two that I mentioned regarding Harry Truman, so one could be led to suppose that the Secret Service should have been even more security conscious than they were.
He did have a lack of security. I can't argue they should have been more. I mentioned in an earlier post he had agents around him, but It should have been more. I am saying various assassination attempts in different situations and circumstances was not the big wake up call the Secret Service needed to stop Kennedy from riding in a open car which the route was published. I agree with you that it should have been. They probably thought he was secure until that day.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 PM

36,331 posts, read 40,130,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I have always wondered about that. Why the open top in late November?

Dallas has a warm climate but it's no Miami Beach.
Average daytime high temp for Dallas in late November is about 63F,
not cold but not scorching either.
Does anybody know what the temp was on nov 22, 1963?
I was 10 years old here at the time and I recall the weather was very nice that day.

It was 85 degrees here today and I had to turn on my AC.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 AM

419 posts, read 686,573 times
The limo that JFK was riding in on that awful day is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI:

I saw it in 2003 and the top was off as it was on Nov. 22, 1963. The interior was very plush with think padded leather seats. However, it seemed very small to me. No bigger than a full size sedan for the times.

The Henry Ford Museum is a wonderful place for history buffs. Also on display, is the bus that Rosa Parks was riding on when she refused to give up her seat. The bus was found on it's side in an empty lot rusting away. It was retrieved and restored and now on display. Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,166,895 times
The bubble top was not bullet proof, but it may have changed the trajectory of the bullet, making the shots more difficult.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,166,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
The limo that JFK was riding in on that awful day is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.

I saw it in 2003 and the top was off as it was on Nov. 22, 1963. The interior was very plush with think padded leather seats. However, it seemed very small to me. No bigger than a full size sedan for the times.
The same limo was re-vamped, armored and put back into use for LBJ and Nixon before retirement. Seems odd today to re-use that limo.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM

5,651 posts, read 6,227,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I have always wondered about that. Why the open top in late November?

Dallas has a warm climate but it's no Miami Beach.
Average daytime high temp for Dallas in late November is about 63F,
not cold but not scorching either.
Does anybody know what the temp was on nov 22, 1963?
The high was 71F and the low was 55F. It seems there was rain/ drizzle that day. I don't recall seeing that from the videos but I am going off memory.

Dallas, TX Weather History File for November 22nd, 1963

Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM

10,699 posts, read 10,349,231 times
Quote:
I suppose that we can quibble over assassinations vs attempted assassinations but the point still holds within the context of the discussion, i.e., the Secret Service's seemingly lack of security for JFK.

Besides the successful assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley there were attempts on Andrew Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt and the two that I mentioned regarding Harry Truman, so one could be led to suppose that the Secret Service should have been even more security conscious than they were.
How much security should a President have? Understand that the President is a public figure and would be useless to the country if he were not able to have contact with the public and interact on some level. I wouldn't be satisfied with a President who insisted on speaking 100% of the time from behind a bullet proof/bomb proof shield.

Other Presidents had ridden around in open cars. Shots were taken at FDR in Miami, Florida by an angry immigrant. The shots missed FDR, but struck and killed Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak. In a video of this, Cermak and FDR are standing in or near an open car when the shots ring out.

The big mistake that got made in Dallas was not the President riding in the motorcade in an open car. The big mistake was announcing it, in advance, in the papers and printing the route the motorcade would take. That gave a would-be assassin, time to prepare to kill the President.

I'm more cold-hearted than most. I wish there hadn't been so much hullaballoo about the JFK assassination because I think a President ought to have more contact--not less--with the public. Our system provides for a Vice President and when the President dies, or is killed, I wish we could maybe accept his death as just part of the price we pay for the system that we have and move on. All the hysteria that surrounds the JFK assassination has many side effects. It makes the Secret Service more protective of the President and he becomes a "more remote figure" more often removed from contact with the American people. Heaven only knows how many more millions of tax dollars have been spent to safeguard the President (and former presidents) simply because on one day, November 22, 1963, Oswald killed Kennedy. When you seek public office, you take risks, and people seeking to be President should simply understand that assassination is a risk of holding the office. Life goes on for the rest of us and one of the biggest problems that I have with JFK Assassination Conspiracy whackos is that they've done such a good of keeping the country from moving on in the last fifty years.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,513,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm more cold-hearted than most. I wish there hadn't been so much hullaballoo about the JFK assassination because I think a President ought to have more contact--not less--with the public. Our system provides for a Vice President and when the President dies, or is killed, I wish we could maybe accept his death as just part of the price we pay for the system that we have and move on.
Well the hoopla as you call it began in 1901 when Congress vested the security of the President to the Secret Service and that fact is history is replete with examples of assassinations that have resulted in coup d'etats revolutions and world wars. So whoa be it a nation that cannot protect its head of state. That being said, it is pathetic that so few assassinations or attempted assassination in the U.S. have had so little political motivation. And even more telling is that fact that the U.S. is so violent that the security measures afforded the President of the United States are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,677,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The same limo was re-vamped, armored and put back into use for LBJ and Nixon before retirement. Seems odd today to re-use that limo.
The color was midnight blue, and Johnson didn't like the limo or the color, but had it painted black. I would think every time he had to ride in it it would remind him that he could be next. I would think today it would be retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or