Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,135 times

Advertisements

I'm just not interested in the Kennedy assassination and all the films that are coming out. For history buffs: has anyone ever suggested that it might be possible that the murder was instigated behind the scenes by Onassis? Onassis had infinite amounts of money and power, he wanted Jackie, and she must have known about her husband's infidelities. But I don't know when Onassis first met Jackie; that would be a key issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Well I don't see any connection at all. I believe people in powerful places got JFK killed and then covered it up--CIA, FBI, Mafia, local Dallas law enforcement people, Texas oil men.

Jackie did know about the womanizing and at one time she wanted a divorce. Joe Kennedy (the dad) supposedly paid her off to remain married and make it look good.

She and JFK had vacationed on Onassis' yacht and after the assassination her instinct was to get as far away as possible from the USA. That's only natural after what had happened. Onassis offered her that option plus a huge amount of money and privacy and he was kind to her. She took him up on the offer.

That's the way I have heard it in every account I have read.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I'm just not interested in the Kennedy assassination and all the films that are coming out. For history buffs: has anyone ever suggested that it might be possible that the murder was instigated behind the scenes by Onassis? Onassis had infinite amounts of money and power, he wanted Jackie, and she must have known about her husband's infidelities. But I don't know when Onassis first met Jackie; that would be a key issue.
They knew each other before the assassination.

Lots of conspiracy theories out there. The "Onassis Did It" doesn't crack the top 20.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well I don't see any connection at all. I believe people in powerful places got JFK killed and then covered it up--CIA, FBI, Mafia, local Dallas law enforcement people, Texas oil men.

Jackie did know about the womanizing and at one time she wanted a divorce. Joe Kennedy (the dad) supposedly paid her off to remain married and make it look good.

She and JFK had vacationed on Onassis' yacht and after the assassination her instinct was to get as far away as possible from the USA. That's only natural after what had happened. Onassis offered her that option plus a huge amount of money and privacy and he was kind to her. She took him up on the offer.

That's the way I have heard it in every account I have read.
I agree. There was a tv documentary several years ago about Jackie, and their take on the marriage was that Jackie married Onassis for security, not financial security so much as for her children's safety. She really feared some nut would come after them.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
She took a huge hit in popularity when she took up with Onassis. And after Onassis, she was the long time mistress of the very married Maurice Tempelsman.

Turns out she didn't have any more decency than Jack.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
I doubt Jackie would have married Onassis if she thought he was behind the murder of her children's father.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
She took a huge hit in popularity when she took up with Onassis. And after Onassis, she was the long time mistress of the very married Maurice Tempelsman.

Turns out she didn't have any more decency than Jack.
She had a lot more decency than he had. She didn't hop from bed to bed while being married to someone else.

She wasn't too popular when she married Onassis but that went away later on when people understood why. She had to get away and find a safe place for her children and herself.

I'm pretty sure Onassis was long gone before she took up with Maurice Tempelsman and there is nothing wrong with what she did. Seems like a monogamous relationship even though they never married.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Jackie Bouvier was a product of her times. Women of her breeding and social rank looked to men (their husbands, fathers, etc...) for protection financial and otherwise.

Few if any American men at that time could offer Mrs. Kennedy what she wanted in both wealth and protection for not only herself but more importantly her children.

Put yourself in her shoes; your husband is murdered right next to you, then your BIL is gunned down. MLK and many others were dispatched via bullets as well. Mrs. Kennedy truly felt that there was a "war" against the Kennedy family and she needed to her children far removed. That she and Mr. Onassis were "friends" made the choice almost a natural one. Of course each went into that marriage with their own agenda. It is widely accepted Onassis married Jackie Kenney to tick off Maria Callas.

Even today few women in their own rights have the kind of wealth and power Onassis and indeed other men have or had. The 1960's were a turbulent time in the United States. Many persons really did feel things were becoming unglued and that there was a real danger of mass anarchy.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
She had a lot more decency than he had. She didn't hop from bed to bed while being married to someone else.

She wasn't too popular when she married Onassis but that went away later on when people understood why. She had to get away and find a safe place for her children and herself.

I'm pretty sure Onassis was long gone before she took up with Maurice Tempelsman and there is nothing wrong with what she did. Seems like a monogamous relationship even though they never married.
Before she married Kennedy she wrote in her diary that she knew he was a ladies man and would not be faithful. She chose to anyway. She knew how things were going to be, but there was a real relationship between them.

After his death, she and the children became an icon, a symbol for the loss. She was expected to remain true that vision, and Onasis offered privacy. They were apparently very good friends, and it worked for everyone.

I think it unfair that when she remarried that she 'lost popularity'. She had a right to her own life. She had a right to her own privacy and as Jackie Kennedy would never have it. If she married a friend for their own reasons is their own choice and if it made her happy then who would question her choice?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
She first met Onassis in 1958 in the south of France, when she and JFK were invited by Onassis to his yacht to meet Winston Churchill, an offer that JFK was eager to accept. After her miscarriage in August, 1963. Onassis was having an affair with her sister, Princess Lee Radziwell, and Bobby Kennedy had asked Jackie to try to talk her out of it, as it was considered rather sordid. (Onassis presumably told Bobby to stuff it, saying, "You and Jack have a movie queen in your bed, I've got a princess.") He liked being around famous women -- they seemed to validate his self-image. Jackie's visit aboard the Christina made headlines all over the world, and she returned to DC in mid-November. After the cruise, he dumped Lee. After JFK's death, he began pursuing Jackie in earnest, but she held him at arm's length. However, after RFK's assassination in June 1968, Onassis came to her mother's farm to console her, and she told him that she was afraid that her children were targets of whomever hated the Kennedys. They were married in October of that year, and were married until his death in March, 1975.

Jackie definitely knew about JFK's affairs -- his father offered her over a million dollars to stay in the marriage for appearances -- at the time, a candidate with a divorce was political suicide. Plus, they were Roman Catholic, and divorce was a big no-no at that time. But she retaliated and had a few flings on the side, too.

As to whether or not Onassis engineered the death of JFK -- seems like a long shot, at best. There are several current theories that he made financial donations to an Arab terrorist group that eventually sent Sirhan Sirhan to kill RFK, who he apparently detested -- the feeling was mutual, from all reports, and Onassis presumably felt that if RFK became President, it would have a ruinous effect on his shipping business' access to U.S. ports.

Just another conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History