Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Truth, right here.....
Britain was never going to lose to the Reich. The German navy was no match for the Royal Navy.
The Royal Air Force had already beaten the Luftwaffe. The U-Boats were no match for the Royal Navy. No mater what Hollywood would have us believe, the Brits had the enigma machine before we entered the war...
Had British AirForces stopped bombing raids, it's very likely that Germany would have ignored them, and let them alone while concentrating on their eastern front, where they bit off more than they could chew.
Did we help the Brits out. Sure we did. Our convoys of food and supplies were vital to their war effort.
Would they have fallen without our help......I doubt it.....
I have to agree with this also. The British, unlike the French were not going down very easily. I've also read that in some way, Hitler admired the British and considered them cousins to the Germans genetically speaking. After all, the English were a world power with colonies still throughout several continents. The English and also the Italians due to their Roman ancestry, were not considered inferior races like the slavs of eastern Europe which had to be annihilated. At least that's some of what I've read on the subject.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have to agree with this also. The British, unlike the French were not going down very easily. I've also read that in some way, Hitler admired the British and considered them cousins to the Germans genetically speaking. After all, the English were a world power with colonies still throughout several continents. The English and also the Italians due to their Roman ancestry, were not considered inferior races like the slavs of eastern Europe which had to be annihilated. At least that's some of what I've read on the subject.
Ive read the same in multiple places...hitler wanted UK as an allie...or a truce/treaty
he had no desire to destroy Britain...he had other fish to fry
I think Hitler say a future where Britain was left to her own devices...they were no less antis sematic than other nations at the time

Germany was fighting Russia, Britain, AND the USA...its hard to guess how if any one of these 3 had not participated what might have happened

USA could not stage a European mission without Britain...
Britain would not have defeated Germany on her own...if anything had Germany focused on Britain and the materials to do so (jets, atom bomb) Germany might have eventually forced a treaty

I don't think Russia would have so thoroughly defeated Germany if not for USA and Britain...Leningrad was close, it was NOT a slam dunk for Russia

Old 01-26-2016, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 8,873 times
British mostly the younger generation are living in a world of utter delusion that they could have survived the war without the US. Understandably they do not like to be reminded of the fact that " their former upstart colony had to save their bacon. When people need help, whether it be money, or actually help, they usually end up resenting the fact...
Without North Atlantic convoys Britain would have starved to death by the end of 1943 latest ..40 million tons of supplies were sent to Britain 90 percent from the US, 25 million tons arrived safely while 15 million tons were destroyed by the U-Boots. These 25 million tons kept Britain alive until the D-Day ..

Last edited by arthur326; 01-26-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 8,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Hitler admired the British and considered them cousins to the Germans genetically speaking .

The main reason why he let them off the hook in Dunkirk ! he could have annihilated the entire Commonwealth contingent if he wanted to , but he didn't..

Old 01-27-2016, 03:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur326 View Post
The main reason why he let them off the hook in Dunkirk ! he could have annihilated the entire Commonwealth contingent if he wanted to , but he didn't..
This theory has been debunked over and over again. Guderian wanted to push forward, von Rundstedt who wasn't an expert of armoured warfare believed the troops were overextended for supply, and Göring promised Hitler that the Luftwaffe will finish off the British contingent. Additionally one of the Luftwaffe air fleets (can't remember which one, B maybe?) was so worn out from the fighting that it couldn't give enough air support for attacking forces on the ground. Finally, at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation the Germans were far away from Paris, and had no idea of how broken the French Army was.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
British mostly the younger generation are living in a world of utter delusion that they could have survived the war without the US. Understandably they do not like to be reminded of the fact that " their former upstart colony had to save their bacon. When people need help, whether it be money, or actually help, they usually end up resenting the fact...
Without North Atlantic convoys Britain would have starved to death by the end of 1943 latest ..40 million tons of supplies were sent to Britain 90 percent from the US, 25 million tons arrived safely while 15 million tons were destroyed by the U-Boots. These 25 million tons kept Britain alive until the D-Day ..
don't you Yanks ever give up? that war ended 70 years ago and we Brits have been at your side in plenty of conflicts since.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:17 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
I see you learnt your history from watching John Wayne films! You know the 'British' used to feel 'connected' to its US Allies, considering they were partners in the biggest war the planet has ever known but attitudes like yours have changed the way the British feel, your complete disregard of the other Allies (not just the British) in the second world war is not just wrong its completely disrespectful of millions of men that fought the Nazis AND the Japanese (something else Americans conveniently forget), all people like you succeed in doing is changing the feeling of British people from 'Brothers in Arms' to resentment.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I see you learnt your history from watching John Wayne films! You know the 'British' used to feel 'connected' to its US Allies, considering they were partners in the biggest war the planet has ever known but attitudes like yours have changed the way the British feel, your complete disregard of the other Allies (not just the British) in the second world war is not just wrong its completely disrespectful of millions of men that fought the Nazis AND the Japanese (something else Americans conveniently forget), all people like you succeed in doing is changing the feeling of British people from 'Brothers in Arms' to resentment.
I think a major source of the problem is that present-day Americans are very frightened about their place in the world, and very angry about being frightened. Thus, the need to chest thump to the max about former glory, even if it means arrogantly and aggressively demeaning friends and allies from the past.

Speaking for myself, I deeply regret the abuse. Not all Americans have this contemptuous attitude.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Most posts on this thread have to do with British telling Americans that they weren't needed and would have won the war without us. It is not American chest thumping. It is explaining the facts.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:04 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most posts on this thread have to do with British telling Americans that they weren't needed and would have won the war without us. It is not American chest thumping. It is explaining the facts.
you Americans are the ones that keep resurrecting this thread, might tell you something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History