Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see that as a problem. We had dial-up Prodigy in the 80s, and I was able to dial into the mainframe at work from home in the mid 90s. In fact I remember the company paying $700 for a 1,200 baud modem.
Prodigy isn't "The Internet" though. It's a walled garden service which IMO would not count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I heard that over a third of US schools were online by 1994. This seems awfully early being that the Internet was only just starting to be open to the public right around that year.

Do you think they used NSFNET or perhaps are including online bulletin boards that aren't part of what we know as "The Internet" proper today?
Probably means just maybe 1 or 2 computers in the library.

People in IT and engineering were constantly asked to "wire" a school or church daycare back then. It was mostly telephone lines and 14.4k modems.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I got my first computer in 86, a turbo xt, and a lighting fast 600 baud modem. There were bbs's around then, and we started our own. We had a sysops club too. Not long after that the local bbs's started linking into the national bbs networks.

My husband had been online with a bbs before that using his own series of raido shack hard drives. He started with the Model 1.

We had (unfortunate) experience with compuserve. Your download crashed since their system crashed but you still paid for the hour. It took six months and direct notification of the bank not to pay them to get them to quit demanding money long after it was cancelled.

I was posting stories on Usenet by 88, and reading them before that. Sometimes I miss the way it wasn't such a central part of life for everyone and it felt like we has our own little nitch.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
in 1993/1994 there were entire computer labs on college campus with web access... I recall being on a number of music related web forums at the time, not so different that this forum... yeah, the layout was different, but otherwise the same. Having a computer or two in a HS isn't surprising, I would have thought it would have been more than a third, actually.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 AM

175 posts, read 421,658 times
Quote:
I heard that over a third of US schools were online by 1994. This seems awfully early being that the Internet was only just starting to be open to the public right around that year.

Do you think they used NSFNET or perhaps are including online bulletin boards that aren't part of what we know as "The Internet" proper today?
Do you mean elementary and high schools or colleges and universities?

I'd be surprised if that many high schools were on line by then, but my impression is that by 1994 just about every college (and certainly every university) was connected. My family got Internet access that year (via AOL) and I remember just about everyone I chatted with on USENET having an *.edu address.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebler View Post
Do you mean elementary and high schools or colleges and universities?

I'd be surprised if that many high schools were on line by then, but my impression is that by 1994 just about every college (and certainly every university) was connected. My family got Internet access that year (via AOL) and I remember just about everyone I chatted with on USENET having an *.edu address.
I'm talking K-12. And yeah, maybe it was only teachers or even just principals who had it. Like in Ferris Bueller from '86 the principal seemed to have some kind of online access.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
It really doesn't sound all that strange. I would be shocked if most colleges and universities didn't have internet access of some sort by 1994. I was in middle school from September 1992 to June 1994 and we had one computer lab with internet access as did the high school.

It would be interesting to see a source though.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It really doesn't sound all that strange. I would be shocked if most colleges and universities didn't have internet access of some sort by 1994. I was in middle school from September 1992 to June 1994 and we had one computer lab with internet access as did the high school.

It would be interesting to see a source though.
What kind of Internet was it? Was it the Web or more like newsgroups or USENET?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,636 times
Universities were certainly connected by then.
I suppose that some good high schools were also connected.

The web was either very young or hadn't been invented so the internet was all about usenet, telnet, ftp, gopher, etc..

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 AM

175 posts, read 421,658 times
Quote:
I'm talking K-12. And yeah, maybe it was only teachers or even just principals who had it. Like in Ferris Bueller from '86 the principal seemed to have some kind of online access.
In that case, the 35% stat is pretty surprising. My middle school computer lab in 1994 had a local network with its own message board, but we didn't have any kind of external network access, even via BBS. My high school didn’t get on-campus Internet until 1998 or 1999. And this was in an upper-middle-class NYC suburb, not somewhere rural or underfunded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History