Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Good luck with that.
Yea - I know . But I couldn't let it go unchallanged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
There's already a federal program modeled on the CCC. It's called the Job Corps and its been around since 1964:

Quote:
Job Corps was initiated as the central program of the Johnson Administration's War on Poverty, part of his domestic agenda known as the Great Society. Sargent Shriver, the first Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity, modeled the program on the Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Established in the 1930s as an emergency relief program, the CCC provided room, board, and employment to thousands of unemployed young people. Though the CCC was discontinued after World War II, Job Corps built on many of its methods and strategies.[citation needed][original research?]
The current national director of the Office of Job Corps is Grace A. Kilbane.[3] The Job Corps program is currently authorized under Title I-C of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.[4]
Since its inception in 1964 under the Economic Opportunity Act, Job Corps has served more than two million young people.[citation needed] Job Corps serves approximately 60,000 youths annually at Job Corps Centers throughout the country.[5]
Job_Corps

Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
I don't think the Job Corps is a true successor to the CCC. JC is supposed to teach job skills and create an employable worker. CCC had four purposes

1) Get idle young men 'off the street' and out of the potential workforce for a while

2) Get money into the economy and into families hands (the forced send money home requirement)

3) Improve infrastructure in National Parks and other Federal lands. None of the projects took work away from 'real' construction projects. This kept the Construction industry from fighting it.

4) It provided experience to the Army in mobilising and working with civilians such as would be the basis for a military draft. Running these camps provided experience to the career army officers who would soon be training the army of WWII. It gave the army beaurcracy experience in starting from scratch getting a bunch of 'newbies' and organizing them, building the camp, keeping them motivated, solving problems, etc. These were officers and NCOs who needed to gain experience with non career soldiers. The CCC gave them this experience. It also gave the Army leadership a chance to observe how potential leaders handled 'draftees' and either learn how to prepare future leaders better or move some out of 'people' jobs and into staff assignments.

This last task of CCC is often overlooked.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I don't see anything like that working today because there are too many rules and regulations regarding the employment of young men not only that I see where the unions would come in and protest against and every kind of organization you could think of would find some way of protesting and presenting such a program for working. Franklin Delano Roosevelt as President of the United States had an awful lot of power to create things and no president since then has had that kind of power or ever will.Congress will not allow it.
I agree the work rules on government summer work for youth in their teens is so strict they can't do thing in summer sun. Liabilities and suits rule the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History