Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
managing to skirt the line with violating the TOS of this site.
how so ? If I posted that Sicilians were involved in La Cosa Nostra, what is the difference ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As for your links, a bunch of blog posts basically quoting Piper and others who share in this particular theory, is no actual proof of anything.
so you think Justin Raimondo and the Washington Post are basically either liars or that
their info was sourced by Piper ? Hardly. Piper is just one writer. He has sources on his
reference pages just like anyone would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
how so ? If I posted that Sicilians were involved in La Cosa Nostra, what is the difference ?
The difference is the reason you want to point out these things, the context you use it in and the fact that you don't really mean "Sicilians"...

Again, I'd love for you to explain to me exactly what, limiting the manifesto to a reasonable length, it is that you believe in. The inuendo and pseudo-legitimacy you attempt to project is getting boring.

Quote:
so you think Justin Raimondo and the Washington Post are basically either liars or that
their info was sourced by Piper ? Hardly. Piper is just one writer. He has sources on his
reference pages just like anyone would.

There is no actual legitimately proven connection between "Trotskyists" and "Neoconservatism". It has been an allegation and insult hurled around since the 1980's. That certain bloggers choose to repeat it and that the Washington Post printed an editorial graphic of how they are linked is not conclusive proof of anything.

However, and this is where I get tired of your games, is you know damn right well that the allegation of "Trotskyist" as used by Piper is VERY different from how the bloggers and editorials you are quoting are using it. This is why I said above that "you don't really mean Sicilians"....

The bloggers and editorialists like Raimondo are simply using the allegation as a way of discrediting Neocon thought as nothing but being born out of another failed ideology.

Piper is using it as "evidence" of Jewish control. When Piper says "Trotskyist" he means "Jew" and is using the allegation and myth of "Trotskyism" at the heart of Neoconvservatism as "proof" of Jewish control of the US government.

Again, stop playing games and just say what it is you believe is actually going on.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
You cannot judge information you are unwilling to read.
here's some non-Piper links for reading, since everyone here except
perhaps those anonymous readers who give me positive post rates seem
to think that reading anything by Piper will cause their eyeballs to melt.

The Return of the Witch-Hunters by Justin Raimondo -- Antiwar.com
Hercolano2: Libertarians and "Jews Against Communism"
WaPo: Neocon movement began with Leon Trotsky - Politics in the Zeros
Learn something new everyday from the Idiot Right, like the Bush family are ideological heirs to Leon Trotsky. ROTFLMAO.

Now to more serious matters: dude, I'm still waiting for your examples of non-historians writing "better history" than "professional historians".

Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
David McCullough

Bruce Catton

Shelby Foote

Peter Hart

Martin Middlebrook

Chistopher Shores

Max Hastings

Correlli Barnett

John B Lindstrom

Carlo D'Este

John Elting

Roger Freeman

Cornelius Ryan

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
David McCullough

Bruce Catton

Shelby Foote

Peter Hart

Martin Middlebrook

Chistopher Shores

Max Hastings

Correlli Barnett

John B Lindstrom

Carlo D'Este

John Elting

Roger Freeman

Cornelius Ryan
I agree with your point here. Not all of the good historical writers are "historians". However, there are HUGE differences between the people on your list and people like Piper. While none of them were ever "formal historians" many of them have earned the title "historian" through their work. All of them submit to peer review of their work and provide plenty of verifiable citations. So, yes, there are plenty of "non-historians" who write great historical works, but none of them are on Snowball7's reading list.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I do not know who Piper is or what Snowball's argument is. I just noted his point in the post where I responded.

I suddenly feel I came into the middle of a bar fight asking for directions to the buffet.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-20-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
David McCullough

Bruce Catton

Shelby Foote

Peter Hart

Martin Middlebrook

Chistopher Shores

Max Hastings

Correlli Barnett

John B Lindstrom

Carlo D'Este

John Elting

Roger Freeman

Cornelius Ryan
Thanks for your list, but I knew there were plenty of respectable historical writers who come from other fields, frequently from journalism/editing/English because they know how to write. One of the very best historical works I've read is Edward Ball's Slaves in the Family, and he's a journalist who investigated his family's slave-holding as well as some descendents of his family's former slaves.

I really wanted to see Snowball's list, though. You can probably guess the reasons.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,764 times
I said what I wanted to regarding this subject. It's not about me or my ideology,
my comments and links stand, that's all I have to say regarding this topic.
I never said I had a problem with Trotskyites' involvement in U.S. Red Scares.
Communism is deplorable.
Concerning neoconservatives, I deplore them also.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I said what I wanted to regarding this subject. It's not about me or my ideology,
my comments and links stand, that's all I have to say regarding this topic.
I never said I had a problem with Trotskyites' involvement in U.S. Red Scares.
Communism is deplorable.
Concerning neoconservatives, I deplore them also.
Come on now, don't be afraid to come out of the closet and say how you really feel. I can infer your ideology (or at least part of it) from what you have posted and sites you link to. However, I am very curious to hear from you what exactly it is you believe in.

Until you are willing to share that, none of your links and comments can stand because I am pretty sure they are all heavily slanted to upholding your ideology. You are not engaging in these topics in a microcosm. Everything you post is rooted in your ideology and beliefs. You are not viewing the topic the same way others are, hence my unwillingness to agree or support anything you say without applying a caveat.

I know that when you are engaging in this topic the hidden word is "Jew". Don't be afraid of saying what you really believe.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I'm in the midst of reading a lengthy biography of Hirohito. Not surprisingly, Japan being so close to Russia, they had their own Red Scare activities, but later on, in the 20's and 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History