Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 AM

19 posts, read 23,913 times

Advertisements

For history buffs especially during the 1951/1952 this has been on my mind lately. What type of major events/conflicts was going on in the world? For some stupid reason I think this song was a coded message to US spies and i can't quite decipher it. i know I know I sound like a nut job but it's possible right? The lyrics go all over the place and just the place "old Algiers" which everyone knows was a hotbed for spy activity.
OR it could simply be a song at least that is the rational part of me Please don't be mean.

The Duprees

See the pyramids along the Nile
Watch the sun rise on a tropic isle
Just remember, darling, all the while
You belong to me.

See the marketplace in old Algiers
Send me photographs and souvenirs
But remember when a dream appears
You belong to me.

Ill be so alone without you
Maybe youll be lonesome too---and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
Watch the jungle when its wet with rain
Just remember till youre home again
You belong to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There was no political significance to it. The song was written by Redd Stewart, who had been a successful songwriter already with many hits in the previous decade, dating back to WWII when Stewart was writing songs while stationed in the South Pacific and mailing them home. Places with exotic names were chosen according to how well they fit in with the rhyme of the lyrics, no doubt reflecting his lingering nostalgia for faraway exotic places..

Stewart earlier wrote "A Soldier's Last Letter" in 1944, which was a wartime hit, and has since been recoreded by the likes of Georgel Jones and Merle Hasggard. http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...256BF8002CBBAE

In the 1940's, Bing Crosby had recorded "Slow boat to China" and "Faraway Places", the latter mentioning China and Siam, so there was a fairly popular trend in music of that era to dream of exotic locales.

As for the year 1952, everybody was getting fed up with the Korean conflict, and aside from that, all eyes were on the early stages of the Cold War in Europe.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-25-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Using the standards suggested by the OP, we could create a communist conspiracy theory around Ricky Nelson's "Travelin' Man."

Quote:
I'm a travelin' man
I've made a lot of stops all over the world
And in every part I own the heart
Of at least one lovely girl

I've a pretty seniorita waiting for me
Down in old mexico
If you're ever in alaska stop and see
My cute little eskimo

Oh my sweet fraulien down in berlin town
Makes my heart start to yearn
And my china doll down in old hong kong
Waits for my return

Pretty polynesian baby over the sea
I remember the night
When we walked in the sands of the waikiki
And I held you oh so tight
Mexico....where Lee Harvey Oswald went in search of a visa for a visit to Cuba.
Alaska....border proximity with USSR
Berlin...center and symbol of Cold War
China...'nuff said, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History