Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I agree that McCartney was the most musically gifted of the group, but by himself his music was lightweight and frequently silly. With Lennon there was some message to the music, without Lennon it was all cartoonish Admiral Halsey and simplistic sap like "My Love."

John brought depth to the group which if absent, probably would have left the Fab Four as a teenage girl pop phenomena of the sixties but not the musical spokesmen for their generation which they became.
true on Lennon's lyrics and latter Beatles .. just before they broke up, I understand
what you're driving at... but Paul's stuff wasn't all fluff...he was the musical driver
of the whole band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I do have to admit I don't have any octopi living in my garden.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Not a fan of rap. In the union shop where I work, baby boomers are at the top of the seniority list and thus control all the radios. They're invariably set to an oldies station, playing the hits from 40 years ago. When you hear it every time you walk by their work station, you start to realize how bad some of the music was, including the Beatles.

Just consider some of the lyrics that were basically gibberish:

THE BEATLES LYRICS - Yellow Submarine

Now compare that to lyrics from Jerome Kern, a generation or so prior to the Beatles (1885-1945).
You know, some of us like to listen to music just for FUN.....and Yellow Submarine is a fun song.

Some might like a certain song just for the beat and not care about the lyrics.

Music doesn't have to be dour and serious to be considered good, it depends on what you are looking for.... it's all in the eye of the beholder, if you will.

It's like Disco.....everyone likes to put it down.....but whenever a popular song from the genre is played......you see the audience jumping up out of their seats.....dancing, big smiles on their faces, having FUN!

Last edited by Annie53; 02-10-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
From The Moscow Times, a piece about the film, How The Beatles Rocked The Kremlin.
How the Beatles Rocked the Kremlin | Arts & Ideas | The Moscow Times

Interesing how in the late 1970s, Elton John became acceptable because he was "safe," but Beatles music was still banned by the Soviet Union. Pretty ironic given the current events surrounding the Olympics.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
It's easy to sit back now and judge the music and the band, but those were different times back then. I remember watching that first Ed Sullivan show and the subsequent rise of the Beatles fame. If they didn't have that certain something they would not have become as popular and influential as they were.

Here we are, 50 years later, still talking about them., that should tell you something.
Don

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,460 times
One co worker who grew up in that era told me his explanation of why the Beatles were so popular was because their music had a different sound then what was mainstream at the time. The Beatles music provided a striking contrast to what was on the radio airways at the time.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
One co worker who grew up in that era told me his explanation of why the Beatles were so popular was because their music had a different sound then what was mainstream at the time. The Beatles music provided a striking contrast to what was on the radio airways at the time.
True. Their new sound was 50% of their success, the other 50% came from pissing off our parents with their long hair and irreverent attitudes.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
If there had never been the Beatles, then there never would have been this satire of John Lennon on National Lampoon's "Radio Days" album...and that would have been a terrible loss.

Warning Warning Warning.....contains foul language....Warning

"John Lennon" - Genius Is Pain - YouTube

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I look back at that music, and say meh. I grew up with it, and was as much of a fan as any self respecting baby boomer, But now I realize how god-awful much of the music was, including the Beatles. The 90's trance-techno music was 100 times better and the 18-19 century music like Beethoven was 1000 times better.

Ayla - Ayla part II - YouTube

BEETHOVEN "Violin Concerto" (Hilary Hahn) - YouTube
You`re right about trance-techno music. There are dozens of people from all over the globe that can`t get enough of that stuff. Whatever it is.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
I remember while at school, we had a female art teacher. I guess you would describe her as a hippy type. Anyway, the Beatles album Sergeant Peppers' had just come out. She brought it in to school, and played 'Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds' for us. Then told her 13 year old pupils to paint, or draw a picture of what we thought the song was about. We all innocently painted boats on rivers, with tangerine trees on the banks of the river, and marmalade coloured skies...... she looked at each picture, and smiled, never letting on about the rumours the song was about LSD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History