Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times

Advertisements

Why I Think Jesus Didn't Exist: A Historian Explains the Evidence That Changed His Mind - YouTube

I always thought that idea Jesus was a hoax was a kooky theory but Richard Carrier makes a great point for it. He says that of all the authentic letters we know Paul wrote, in none of them does he cite anything but scripture and his "revelations" or hallucinations. Never does he claim to meet any real life people who knew Jesus in any of them!

He also makes the case that Jesus followed a pattern of a lot of similar Hellenistic deities around the same era and that the Gospels came late and seem to be purely fabrication. There was also an entity called Jesus attested to as early as AD 40 that was a celestial savior who was crucified not in Palestine but rather in outer space.

Carrier's theory is that Jesus was believed by Paul to be a mythical God and that the Gospels were written decades later in an attempt to place him into history, much like Greek authors rewrote Zeus etc to have lived on earth as mortal kings later in antiquity when originally they were always seen as celestial beings.

The argument against Carrier seems to be mostly based on the "principle of embarassment" - ie the fact Jesus has such an ordinary first name, the fact he was from Nazareth instead of Bethlelem, that he was crucified, etc. My argument against that in favor of the mythicists is that if they were writing a fiction these "embarassments" and tension would make the story far more interesting to readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
There was also an entity called Jesus attested to as early as AD 40 that was a celestial savior who was crucified not in Palestine but rather in outer space.

Do you have more details on this story? You've set my imagination to work. Are we talking an immensely tall cross that reached from earth past the atmosphere, or are we talking some sort of trip into outer space where the execution was conducted?

Also...wouldn't zero gravity negate the entire force behind crucifixion? Death is the result of suffocation when the body is no longer able to pull itself up in order to get a breath. Zero G's, no sag, no suffocation.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM

21,123 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Similar arguments could be made of many other historical figures.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Do you have more details on this story? You've set my imagination to work. Are we talking an immensely tall cross that reached from earth past the atmosphere, or are we talking some sort of trip into outer space where the execution was conducted?

Also...wouldn't zero gravity negate the entire force behind crucifixion? Death is the result of suffocation when the body is no longer able to pull itself up in order to get a breath. Zero G's, no sag, no suffocation.
I don't really know the details.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Do you have more details on this story?
I believe he mentions Philo who told of a Jewish celestial being called 'Jesus' that had 4 attributes that you can find in Paul's writings. Later he mentions the ascension of Isaiah.

The Philo part is around the 22 minute mark - but you should watch the beginning for the background of similar synergistic elements of Hellenistic and Near East religions including his focus Judaism/Hellenism.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM

78,402 posts, read 60,579,949 times
It would probably help if the OP knew that the guy in the video has also stated it's just a THEORY of his and hasn't withstood any peer review.

It's rather more of a philosophical musing or a "what if" type scenario.

He also has a stated religious bent (atheism, and he's not passive about it) so of course he's going to like to stir the pot a little bit eh?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would probably help if the OP knew that the guy in the video has also stated it's just a THEORY of his and hasn't withstood any peer review.
One theory of hundreds that are out there. I have personally always taken the historicity of Jesus to be almost a given. The divinity, well, let's just say I have my doubts. The more time you spend studying the Bible, the book, the more you realize how heavily it was influenced by and borrowed from other sources. It's more an amalgamation with a twist then anything original.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
This really depends on what one means by 'Jesus'.

The Jesus of the Bible? I agree that person did not exist.

Some first-century figure of some prominence upon whom a great deal of myth was overlaid? That person probably existed.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
One theory of hundreds that are out there. I have personally always taken the historicity of Jesus to be almost a given. The divinity, well, let's just say I have my doubts. The more time you spend studying the Bible, the book, the more you realize how heavily it was influenced by and borrowed from other sources. It's more an amalgamation with a twist then anything original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This really depends on what one means by 'Jesus'.

The Jesus of the Bible? I agree that person did not exist.

Some first-century figure of some prominence upon whom a great deal of myth was overlaid? That person probably existed.
Yep.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
You always thought it was a hoax, and now a YouTube video has convinced you?

Have you ever READ anything about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History