Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskar_Rock View Post
Well, you're a bit behind the curve. There are high-speed trains; the French, the Japanese, the Germans, the Chinese and the British all have them, and more are in train (awful pun!). Widely usable holograms and virtual reality need lots of computing power - bet someone's hard at work on that, as they are on space trips for tourists. Richard Branson, anyone?

Food pills won't work out I fancy; you need adequate protein and carbohydrates in certain volumes to function well. Besides who wants to live on just pills??? And, I bet jetpacks and flying cars as conceived in the 50's won't happen because the insurance cost would be crippling, what do you think?

You can be 100% certain that someone from the 1950's, were she/he to pop up in 2014, would have to buy a chin-strap to keep their jaw from dropping at every turn. But only for a week or two - they'd acclimatise (you'd say "acclimate") pretty soon.

Because, guess what? I'm from the 50's and my cancer was cured, my hip is about to be replaced, I've got a Galaxy pad, and a smart-phone and I'm doing this on my laptop using 50Mb broadband (we'll be able to get 70Mb soon). Plus I could get dental implants if I really wished (the cost, the cost!!)
Good post. What's interesting is someone from the fifties would still find a lot of things which were quite comforting too. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, in Los Angeles, and you see pictures of neighborhoods today and they don't look much different at all, or streets and downtowns. And women wear fewer dresses and everyone wears more casual things, but overall there is nothing really new about how we dress. And the cars look different but they still are cars.

This would put the time traveller somewhat at east. That 50mb broadband would be magic, and instead of something everyone has had for several generations, the microwave would be a curiosity. Cell phones would be something very futuristic, especially for a science fiction fan of the fifties.

The technology would be accepted however, since the fifties were all about new technology, and it would not seem so much of a surprise.

Of course pills as food is not going to happen because we are not built for that and we all have individual sensitivities. And insurence is a good point.

I would think the social changes would be far more unsettling or different for the traveler over the technological ones. Say said time traveler was from the deep south, and they saw openly mixed couples and politicans of multiple colors and origions. That would take longer to get used to than cell phones and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Way cooler. Plus you get to look down on the road traffic groundlings and make snide remarks about how primitive they still are.
True. Until they all have air cars and its a traffic jam in the skies and the holdouts on the ground are making better time.

Now, a transporter....

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,075,271 times
why?? because of wise politicians have painted themselves in a box, and we are the ones bleeding..

listen closely because state and federal government taxes every gallon of gasoline ALOT!
you take this HUGE money away from governments, they will have to increase taxes to make up for it,,,god forbid, they cut spending,,

but this is why ,,,the government hasnt pushed a 90 mpg car hybrid or total electric car,,,because they would lose billions in gas taxes

Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM

723 posts, read 865,069 times
can you imagine the chaos that would happen if the general public was allowed jetpacks and flying cars? Our roads are dangerous enough already and people only have to cope with 2 dimensions, I shudder to think of what it'd be like to add a third one into the mix.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 AM

6,643 posts, read 5,865,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
can you imagine the chaos that would happen if the general public was allowed jetpacks and flying cars? Our roads are dangerous enough already and people only have to cope with 2 dimensions, I shudder to think of what it'd be like to add a third one into the mix.
Relax, it will all be computerized. You'll just say "Google, go home" or "Siri, go home" and it'll get you there! The biggest problem will be that the NSA will have a back door into your nav system and can send you plunging to the ground if they think you're a trouble maker.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 AM

28 posts, read 31,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Good post. What's interesting is someone from the fifties would still find a lot of things which were quite comforting too. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, in Los Angeles, and you see pictures of neighborhoods today and they don't look much different at all, or streets and downtowns. And women wear fewer dresses and everyone wears more casual things, but overall there is nothing really new about how we dress. And the cars look different but they still are cars.

This would put the time traveller somewhat at east. That 50mb broadband would be magic, and instead of something everyone has had for several generations, the microwave would be a curiosity. Cell phones would be something very futuristic, especially for a science fiction fan of the fifties.

The technology would be accepted however, since the fifties were all about new technology, and it would not seem so much of a surprise.

Of course pills as food is not going to happen because we are not built for that and we all have individual sensitivities. And insurence is a good point.

I would think the social changes would be far more unsettling or different for the traveler over the technological ones. Say said time traveler was from the deep south, and they saw openly mixed couples and politicans of multiple colors and origions. That would take longer to get used to than cell phones and the like.
Great post, agree with you. Cultural changes would indeed be the most shocking thing to somone snatched from the 50s and plonked down in 2014, and not just about racial mixing (called "miscegnation" wasn't it?). The easy availability of, er, recreational pharmaceuticals is appalling; there isn't a village disco, nor a church-hall hop, nor a popular pub - even the most rural of them - where you can't enhance your social experience by getting out of your skull with ease nowadays. And that would be found shocking, I bet.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,302,815 times
we do have the dick tracy wrist radio
The Next Big Thing Is Here | SAMSUNG

Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,422,751 times
Lightbulb Why don't we have jetpacks and flying cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
To expand further on the question: in the 1950s people have expected life in the year 2000 would be full of flying cars, jetpacks, moon vacations, high speed trains, virtual reality, holograms, food pills, etc. What happened? These things never came out. I'm sure if a time traveler from the early 50s were to wake up in the 2000s or 2010s he would be hugely disappointed. Life today doesn't seem that much different from 1950s but what has changed?
You old enough to drive?

Been in any real traffic lately?

How many cell-phone obsessed fools would you want flying around when they're barely able to cope with a car on pavement?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM

965 posts, read 1,334,857 times
that is easy to answer, the greatest detriment to the advancement of aviation is the FAA. They are the reason that small planes are still flying with the same engines, ignition and carbs as they did in the 1930.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,973,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
that is easy to answer, the greatest detriment to the advancement of aviation is the FAA. They are the reason that small planes are still flying with the same engines, ignition and carbs as they did in the 1930.
???

Modern small planes are often powered by turboprop engines, which are a type of jet engine. Engines of the 30ies were mostly things like piston powered engines and rotary engines.

Don't mistake the propeller for less advanced, for low speed flight the propeller is more efficient than jet propulsion. Turboprop engines have more power and greater fuel efficiency than the piston and rotary engines of the 30ies and are a reason why the helicopter is so much more practical post WWII(before WWII it was mostly a toy.) as well as small plane much more capable than the 30ies models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History