Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I remember it and didn't care at the time. I care even less now. I just have no romantic notions about terrorists, regardless of the cause.

Now here is the part where you feel the need to correct me, despite your initial stated desire to just know people's opinions. I never understand posters who want other opinions on a topic and then want to argue with them.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,606,583 times
Quote:
And yet no-one has any factual knowledge about the historical topic I'm talking about except one poster.
The question you presented was "How will history remember the hunger strikers?" Which means that in order to answer, we have to step back from our own personal impressions of the matter and think about what people at large will be thinking, both now and in the future.

But you seem to be reading the answers as though they responded to the question "How will you remember the hunger strikers?"

But that's not the same question at all, since the kind of people who read and respond to a message board about history are probably going to be better-informed and more aware of such things overall than their countrymen, unless they specifically live in Ireland/NI.

It's similar to how the Basque rebel movement ETA really fizzled out and changed course after the Madrid train bombings in March 2004. After that point, "terrorism" took on a different and more expansive meaning in modern Spain, and ETA's tactics from the 70's, 80's, and 90's no longer made sense in that context.

The 2001 attacks had a similar effect in the US. That affects the manner in which people view exterior events as well. If your complaint is that this constitutes hypocrisy, well, good luck. Howard Zinn beat that drum for decades and was a marginal figure at best. That's not the kind of thing you'll be able to "sell" to a mass-market.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM

44,291 posts, read 19,957,759 times
Since this thread could not remain on-topic and civil, it has been closed. Off-topic posts have been deleted.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.