Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:20 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,029,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Carter quit the Baptist church for two reasons, he wrote in one of his books. One was that they stopped allowing women to be missionaries. The other was that until some time in the 90's, when a member of the church had a question about religion or faith, they were supposed to read the Bible themselves and look for an answer there. At a certain point, the Baptist hierarchy decided that everyone should take their questions to their minister, and only the minister was qualified to interpret the Bible.

He wrote about this in his book on the global rise of religious fundamentalism.
For what it's worth -- A lengthy article in the Washington Post newspaper, Feb 27, 2014, says the Carters' resigned from the Plains Baptist Church, and joined the nearby Maranatha Baptist Church, where he continues teaching Sunday School, usually with considerable tourists visiting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com - In the search box, type "Maranatha"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,843,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Has anyone noticed that it's not much different now? I can't keep track of grocery prices, they keep going up. My grocers agree. They say part of it is the high cost of fuel; shipping costs drive grocery prices up. idk, there must be more to it than that.
totally agree! I am stunned at the cost of some, most items.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 PM

[quote=mofford;34057484]RelighLass, When Reagan gave the tear down this wall speech in 1987, it had little more meaning than when Kennedy gave the same type of speech there in the 60's. Nobody would have been chipping at that wall in '87 unless they wanted to be shot. The chipping did not happen until Nov of 1989. However, there was more optimism in '87 that relations were improving. Gorbachev was making changes, and he is most responsible for the Berlin Wall coming down, he did not care much for Erich Honecker and his rather inflexible policies. quote]

Right. Agree that timing was certainly better than when Kennedy gave his "I am a Berliner" speech. This really good piece better describes what I was trying to say Reagan's 'Tear Down This Wall' Myth

and this excerpt sums it up -

Reagan made his speech on June 12, 1987, and the dismantling of the Berlin Wall did not begin until November 1989, more than two years later when Reagan was in retirement. Even then, President Gorbachev didn’t “tear down this wall”; the German people did, starting with sledgehammers and later using industrial equipment, as East and West Germany were reunified.
Nevertheless, the deceptive “tear down this wall” editing has become a hallmark of the Reagan mythology – and given the right-wing media's power in the United States and the timidity of the mainstream press, few talking heads are likely to object when the clips are shown again as Reagan’s birthday rolls around on Feb. 6. Nor will any politician, Republican or Democrat, complain.

Disclaimer: None of what I share is meant to support or criticize any particular political party

Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,724,201 times
The Russian grain embargo was such a failure and part of the reason the US farm economy collapsed.

To this day, the name Jimmy Carter is regarded as a swear word amongst United States grain farmers.

When Obama received the Democratic nomination in 08, it was presumed that Colin Peterson ( D ) would be the Sect of AG .

Colin Peterson contacted Obama and asked that his name be taken off the list.
The main reason given was Peterson remembered how another fellow Minnesotan from the same part of the state ( Bob Bergland) was Jimmy Carter's Ag Sect and had to carry out Carter's failed policies.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,104,574 times
Glad to hear Carter found the right kool aid for his religious beliefs, at least he didn't turn atheist, which seems to be a trend for left leaning folks these days. I believe Carter was originally Southern Baptist.

RelieghLass, I have always been interested in Berlin, East Germany and the struggle of Eastern Europe in the cold war. The GDR citizens may have torn down the wall, but Gorbachev had to let go of them first for that to happen. The link about Reagan is distorted IMO, it implies that even as far back as the 50's we were supposed to realize the USSR was going to collapse someday and the US, especially Reagan, overreacted in every way to a threat that was not there. There was a threat, the Afghanistan Invasion, and before that Vietnam, and before that, Castro and Cuban missile crisis, the Korean War ect ect.

The USSR was very dangerous and able to move into the Middle East, Western Europe, anywhere they could have gotten away with. Had they been able to do that, they would NOT have collapsed in 1989, having those extra resources to work with. Communist regimes bring failure to a society, they are an extreme of the left, but the extreme right regimes are not always a failure, often providing a good life for a significant portion of the population, as was SOMETIMES the case in Central and South America. And remember, down there it was usually all one way or the other, no middle ground. Batista was better for Cuba than Castro, Pinochet better than an Allende for Chile, and just about any sock puppet would be better than Hugo Chavez was for Venezuela.

Teddy52, kind of glad Peterson turned down the job, because former governor of Iowa Tom Vilsack got it instead, and now he's in Washington, and not in Des Moines, lol.....and now we have Terry Branstad (soon to become the nation's longest serving governor) back at the helm. Vilsack was not what I would call horrid, but he almost got picked off by Fox News early on as Sec of Ag. They ran a phony story on that woman that was supposed to have been discriminating on farm loans, and Vilsack fired her, when later the story was found to be bogus, he almost got canned.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
I would love to hear more of your story. My life was forever changed by the Iron Curtain. My parents & I immigrated to the US in 1988. If the Wall had fallen sooner, we most likely would have remained in Central Europe. Berlin is my favorite city in the World, I'm in the process of returning to my roots.

The building that was turned into a part of the wall, just one of countless crazy stories from that time & place. Families were jumping from 6 story windows to escape. Not everyone survived.

This is my Desktop wallpaper

Scorpions - Wind Of Change - YouTube
touching photo. In England, I remember seeing film and photos of ppl making a run for the wall only to be shot seconds later. As a child and teen I couldn't fathom people being so oppressed or deprived of certain freedoms in that day and time as to be willing to lose their life whilst trying to climb the wall. As a 20 something yr old I became friends with a young woman in the US from Berlin and she rounded out my perspective. I'm afraid I don't have a story...at least not about this topic.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:25 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,104,574 times
Getting back to Carter, and why he won a very tight race in '76. It really shouldn't have been such a tight race, as Carter was up 30 points over Ford in popularity. His interview with Playboy hurt him badly, when he said he lusted for other women. This sent his numbers into a steady decline, while Ford picked up steam until the second debate, when he declared there was no Soviet domination in Poland. That was what saved Carter from any further decline, and had many thinking about Ford's other blunders.

Ford was somewhat inconsistent like Carter was. He proposed a 5 percent tax increase on the wealthy, then changed his mind and did a tax cut instead. When New York City filed bankruptcy in 1975, he said he would veto any bill to bail out New York, then later changed his mind and made funds available. He ran budget deficits each and every year he was president. Regarding abortion, he had what I feel is a great compromise, let each state decide for themselves the issue and leave it at that. This was one of the issues his wife Betty was not on the same page with him on, and where that political button "Betty's husband for president" sprang from in the Carter camp.

Another thing Ford had going against him, even with him being at one time a star athlete football player for Michigan, he fell down a lot. He tripped here, and he tripped there, then he tripped all over the place in effigy via Chevy Chase portraying him on SNL, which was rather funny btw. One memorable line from a speech Ford gave when he took office I thought was endearing, when he said "I'm not a Lincoln, I'm a Ford.....the way he said it made me like him.

Here are a couple anti Ford buttons that hammer the main reasons why Ford lost:

and a few other good ones from from '76

Last edited by mofford; 03-30-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,132,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Carter was ahead of his time. His social policies were adequate/good but he/his advisers made poor foreign policy decisions. IE giving safe haven to overthrown Shah of Iran Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

Carter warned of the social decline the USA was heading down, in 1979

Jimmy Carter: Crisis of Confidence - YouTube

Americans, like a spoiled arrogant child reacted by replacing Carter with an actor/salesman who doubled down on the decline. As time goes by and Reagan's (Teflon President) Nixon-like corruption is further exposed, Jimmy Carter is vindicated. But ultimately, as his Post Presidency illustrates he was too good of a human to be President. Especially for the USA and precisely in those times. Americans wanted (and many still do) a confident smile to lie in their face.
Too bad I couldn't rep this.
I was in elementary school during his presidency. At the time, there was an ad for Oscar Mayer bologna that went:

My bologna has a first name
It's O-S-C-A-R
My bologna has a second name
It's M-A-Y-E-R
Oh I love to eat it everyday,
And if you ask me why I say,
Cause' Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!!!

Well, kids in my class were parodying that jingle like this:

My president has a first name
It's J-I-M-M-Y
My president has a second name
It's C-A-R-T-E-R
Oh I love to hate him everyday,
And if you ask me why I say,
Cause Jimmy Carter has a way of messing up the U-S-A!

I found it odd that these children way under voting age would bring stuff like that up, and I had no idea how he allegedly 'messed up the USA'. My boyfriend is a staunch republican and thinks to this day that Reagan was the best president ever (I disagree, but I was to young to have been able to vote against him when he ran for office or reelection) and that Carter was the worst ever, tied with Obama. He hates Clinton too.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,132,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Correct, Carter attempted a very ballsy rescue attempt that failed miserably. In classic Reagan form, Ronald had secret meetings with the "terrorists". Basically behind the Presidents back.

At that point, following Vietnam and the Iran hostage episode American morale was very low. Especially with Cold War still going strong. Americans yearned for a big talking President, no matter if he was lying to them. Enter Reagan.
Wasn't he also that president who pointedly stated that he does not negotiate with terrorists?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,556,342 times
Carter basically turned to price controls and lacked leadership ability but was a honest man and good person generally. He became president at a time when whatever turns you on selfishness had replaced common civil behavior. That lead to constant conflict that has never fully died. For a short while Reagan's leadership and confidence infected the nation but conflict returned after he left. Both Carter and Reagan where both seen as at least moral after the deceptions of so many leaders like the whole Camelot lie Inflicted by media and the Kennedy's supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History