Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,762,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK8 View Post
(in the person of Louis XVIII -- they skipped XVII)
For reference, as far as I know, this was done because Louis XVIII refused to recognize the legitimacy of the overthrowing (sp?) of the French monarchy and thus considered Louis XVI's son Louis (lived 1785-1795) to be the rightful French "monarch" after Louis XVI's execution in 1793 until his own death two years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,125,779 times
Default Thank you!

[quote=NJGOAT;33979219]Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou is the current most senior pretender to the French throne:

Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He would be Louis XX if the monarchy was restored. They are not banished from France and is they hold French citizenship they are given the honorific "Prince of the Blood". As for wealth, I am not sure. Anything they had in regards to that would be from businesses, investments, etc. that the family created.

Yes, what TAK8 said is true. As for the details, it would require an exhaustive study. I suggest you peruse these wikipedia links to familiarize yourself with the history. They do a far more thorough job then anyone posting on the forum could, given the complexity and length of time we are talking about...

Thank you so much for the links! I've always wondered about the line of succession if the monarchy was restored. I thought I knew my French history but you really blew me out of the water! French history is much more complicated than our own young American history. French history with all the Houses and also varied connections to other royal houses by marriage makes it a really rich and fascinating one. Thank you again for the much appreciated links and information!

Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 AM

472 posts, read 922,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolava View Post
Is it true what TAK8 says? That the revolution got rid of the king, then Napoleon was monarch, and after he lost the war, the allies put someone from that original royal family back on the throne? How long did France have a king? Who were the allies that TAK8 talks about? Russia? Which countries were at the different sides of the war? Thanks

To be strictly accurate the Allies did not restore the Bourbons. The Napoleonic Senate did it, encouraged by Talleyrand and Fouche who were smart enough to know that such a restoration was France's best chance to get a lenient peace treaty.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 AM

54 posts, read 58,220 times
Perhaps someone knows\remembers how long France had a king?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,618,735 times
According to Wikipedia's list, there are at least four currently-living pretenders or claimants to the French throne:

Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou
Prince Henri, Count of Paris, Duke of France
Charles Napoléon
Jean Christophe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_pretenders

Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM

But how long did France have a king? Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Pretenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
According to Wikipedia's list, there are at least four currently-living pretenders or claimants to the French throne:

Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou
Prince Henri, Count of Paris, Duke of France
Charles Napoléon
Jean Christophe

List of current pretenders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for the list! It's difficult to find people that know anything about French history, and on this thread the posters know so much, it's a great resource to come to.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Default French Monarchy

Quote:
I think Clovis was the first king and Napoleon was the last king (emperor), maybe about 1,400 years. I think the other posters would know better than I would. I was reading the links about pretenders and my research led me to other places, too. I hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM

TAK8 posted in this thread and said that after Napoleon lost the war, the allies put one from the royal-family before the war back on the throne.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,894,914 times
Quote:
I think you're right ... Louis XVI was the last of the monarchs, and the French monarchy was abolished after the French Revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History