Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,942,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't have the material in front of me, but I think leaving Africa was 45 million and arriving in Europe about 15 million. In Russian in the 30 million range.
I think that you need to revise the millions as being thousands.

By the way, everyone didn't leave all at once and obviously some never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,676,909 times
I don't think anyone questions the "out of Africa" hypothesis, but who are more recent ancestors are, or could be, is a story that is now being opened up by the study of "Ancient DNA". The field has exploded in the last 5 years and is only limited by finding the ancient genetic material of known (a handful) and unknown post-Africa hominin species.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,120,735 times
Anyone know of any good novels about early human and neanderthal times, other than the Clan of the Cave Bear series? I'd like to read something authentic including recent findings, especially by an anthropologist.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,596,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I wouldn't go as far as to claim... hold that.

What I was going to write was that life may or may not have originated in African, modern humans certainly did. But then I flashed back on continental drift which would argue in favor of life of land animals would have first sprung from Pangea the heart of which would eventually become the continent of Africa. So there really isn't a need for me to be that pedantic.
Life originated long before the coalescence of land masses into Pangaea, and it certainly did not originate on land in any case.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Life originated long before the coalescence of land masses into Pangaea, and it certainly did not originate on land in any case.
I think that you missed the point that I was trying to make.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,015,751 times
There have been Out of Africa migrations of hominids well before any evidence of Sapiens, so people should not view such movements as magical one in a million events.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
There have been Out of Africa migrations of hominids well before any evidence of Sapiens, so people should not view such movements as magical one in a million events.
Adding to that, the current research indicates that there wasn't a single migration event of even Homo sapiens but instead several migrations by different groups of "Africans."

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,120,735 times
It IS kind of magical for so many migrations to happen, considering that no one had a map to get to the few places one could easily escape from Africa.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If your pbs station is carrying it there is this wonderful series about how we came about called Your Inner Fish. The first was about the first fish which ventured from the sea, and what part of us remains. This week is Your inner Reptile. Its anthropology, palentology, anatomy and just fascination all rolled into one.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Adding to that, the current research indicates that there wasn't a single migration event of even Homo sapiens but instead several migrations by different groups of "Africans."
There was not nor is not a homogenous group of Africans, frankly the further you go back the more heterogenity is found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It IS kind of magical for so many migrations to happen, considering that no one had a map to get to the few places one could easily escape from Africa.
They had the stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History