Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,441,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
actually, French losses in WWI were in-line with the war's major participants. Ottoman Empire,
Germany, Russia, all lost more, and if one includes the full British Empire, they lost more than
France.
You are wrong in both regards. The French suffered much higher casualty rates per their population than Germany or Russia.

France's military sustained about 4.2 million casualties and 1.4 million deaths out of a total population of 39 million. That equates to about 10% of France's population were military casualties and about 3.5% died. If we add in civilian casualties, 4.3% of their population died.

Germany's military suffered 4.2 million casualties and 2 million deaths, but out of a total population of 65 million. That equates to about 6.5% of their population becoming casualties and 3% dying. Germany had minimal civilian deaths. Also, Germany was fighting on two fronts, while France was only fighting on one front. So nearly all of France's casualties occurred on the Western Front, while Germany's were split between fronts.

Russia's military had about 4.9 million casualties out of a population of 175 million. That equates to 2.8% of their population being casualties, and a smaller % dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,770,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
France paid for every acre with millions of graves in places like Verun, on the banks of the Somme, and other battle fields!!!
I certainly agree with you, which is why France should be both mourning and celebrating this.

(And for the record, personally, I don't think that the price that France paid to win back Alsace-Lorraine was worth it, but what's done is done.)

Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,216,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
As others mark World War One centenary, Germans prefer to forget | Reuters

Contemporary Germans have not studied their military history in school, and prefer to be absent from and not start any WW1 commencement ceremonies this August. Modern Germans have such a distaste for their military history that they even have ignored their military dead from WW1 and have not visited their graves.

I don't blame them. I'd have a "distaste" for my military history also if the SS was involved.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 PM

477 posts, read 837,387 times
What does the SS have to do with WW1?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 PM

46,840 posts, read 25,796,967 times
And again: If you're trying to peddle some Holocaust Denial theory twaddle, you'll have to look elsewhere. I'm not buying.

Actually, I take that back. Googling Gyeorgos C. Hatonn is tremendously entertaining. He appears to think he's an extra-terrestrial, and it sorta gets crazier from there.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-23-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM

477 posts, read 837,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You didn't pay any attention in Hauptschule, it seems.
Sorry, I never went to the Hauptschule. I went to college. Would you mind letting me know why you think I never paid attention?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM

471 posts, read 973,700 times
Of course the Germans do not celebrate the end of WW1, would any country be happy that they lost a war and had to pay reparations, rebuild, bury the dead, have massive uncontrolled inflation, etc etc...

But it is also ok for them to be proud of a relative who may have served his (not many women in the German army in 1918) country in the armed forces in those times, just like most nations feel about their own who served.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,597,625 times
Quote:
I tend to believe it's used to mentally paralyze and blackmail the German public into accepting Western ideals.
You know I'd think modern day Germany has learned much from the terrible experience of particpating in two World wars during this century. That self-guilt has receded. At this time, she looks to me a great democratic state today with ideals far far away from the kinds of politics which existed in the country in previous decades. Of course, since they KNOW and have experience they are perhaps much more aware of the dangers that can happen in high-politics married with demagoguery.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,945,056 times
I think we need to give the German's a wake up song on the anniversary of both WWI and WW2. Future generations must not be allowed to be ignorant of the terrible cost their nation inflicted on the World.

Somehow, Spike Jones had it so right!

Der Fuehrer's Face

When der fuehrer says we is de master race
We heil heil right in der fuehrer's face
Not to love der fuehrer is a great disgrace
So we heil heil right in der fuehrer's face

When Herr Goebbels says we own the world and space
We heil heil right in Herr Goebbels' face
When Herr Goring says they'll never bomb dis place
We heil heil right in Herr Goring's face
Are we not the supermen
Aryan pure supermen
Ja we is the supermen
Super duper supermen
Is this Nutsy land so good
Would you leave it if you could
Ja this Nutsy land is good
We would leave it if we could
We bring the world to order
Heil Hitler's world to order
Everyone of foreign race
Will love der fuehrer's face
When we bring to the world dis order

And, i know WWI had the Kaiser in charge and not Adolph!

Last edited by Dean Trails; 03-24-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM

46,840 posts, read 25,796,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Of course the Germans do not celebrate the end of WW1, would any country be happy that they lost a war and had to pay reparations, rebuild, bury the dead, have massive uncontrolled inflation, etc etc...
The end of that stupid, useless war is certainly worth commemorating. If for nothing else, then perhaps to make us stop and think the next time some politico promises us that the boys will be home by Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History