Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times

Advertisements

British are not a race and colonialism is still huge factor in much of the world's problems. One only has to look at two world wars over colonial possessions and controlling them to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,034,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
British are not a race and colonialism is still huge factor in much of the world's problems. One only has to look at two world wars over colonial possessions and controlling them to see that.
The British are a race for sure - and the most successful the world has ever seen in just about every aspect. I fail to see where the UK is a problem to the world having given so much - the British made the modern world. The British Commonwealth (the old empire), which covers a quarter of the world's land surface with one third of its population is a great plus, go and ask its members. The two world wars were not the making of the UK - the British gave all for freedom and democracy. You may find a country called Germany had a lot to do with the wars.

Last edited by John-UK; 04-03-2014 at 03:47 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,543,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It depends on the definition you choose to use. Scientifically there is only one race. Then we have the pseudo-scientific social construct definition of Mongloid, Caucasoid and Negroid aka Asian, White and Black. However, another acceptable definition is a group of people that share a similar culture/ethnicity and background. In that way there is a Japanese, Chinese, British, German, etc. "race". One could even stretch the definition to say that there is an "American race" given the cultural similarities shared by many Americans. Now, most people would use the word "culture" or "nation" but "race" is appropriate as well.

I have to say when I read John-UK's post I imagined he was the kind of guy who started off everyday with a rousing rendition of...

However, thinking about it and using the word "race" in the manner implied, it would be hard to argue that the British were not among, if not the most succesful "race". I think it is rather unquestionable that the British, whether the results were good or bad, have shaped the modern world more than any other people.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I have to say when I read John-UK's post I imagined he was the kind of guy who started off everyday with a rousing rendition of...
I, and 99.9% of Brits, see no need to flag wave. We know who we are and where we stand.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,543,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I, and 99.9% of Brits, see no need to flag wave. We know who we are and where we stand.
0.1% of your countrymen are quite of fond flag waving then aren't they?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 AM

Travel around the USA an that flag is flying everywhere. Travel around the UK and you have to look hard to see a union flag flying.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,017,209 times
Since by the OP's own admission, race is not as much a physical concept as a mental one out of the minds of men, for most successful races I will say the Shadows were pretty bad@zz and the Vorlons were no slouches as well.

Worf led me to develop a fondness for Klingons and the Vulcan dude from Voyager was always good for a laugh.

I think Sif is one sexy @zz Asgardian, though not as sexy as the blonde Cylon.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,269 posts, read 8,629,649 times
Quote:
Historically most sucessful 'race'?

Well there's a good argument for Secratariats Preakness victory but I prefer Dale Earnhardt's Daytona 500 win

Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 AM

579 posts, read 759,009 times
Allowing your nations Capital to be over-run by outsiders, probably eliminates you from the current day discussion (London)

Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Allowing your nations Capital to be over-run by outsiders, probably eliminates you from the current day discussion (London)
We can always start up the Spitfires again and drive them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History