Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,151,799 times

Advertisements

[quote=HomeIsWhere...;50940798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post

Thank you, I appreciate all of your contributions.

To add to the confusion already in hand...

History of the Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scot

WARNING: do not confuse history with family history! History describes events of significance to the nation and mass migrations. Family history describes a single family or individual's history. It is very possible your family is different from the history described below. Mine is! That doesn't mean that either the historians or your grannie is wrong. You do need to be aware of the big picture to do well with family history. Many a brick wall is composed of erroneous assumptions.

UlsterHeritage.com - All Things Ulster - Scotch-Irish - History of the Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scot
Aye I agree, there are two ways of seeing the Ulster-Scots people. Either on historical/political matters or families and the part they played. On the historical side the migration of over 200,000 to America is given the most attention but in the 1800s too there were around 100,000 who left Ulster for America or Canada. This seems to agree with the link you posted...

Although they came into what was an English colony and many of them were originally part of the official settlement of Ulster by the English Crown, the Scots so predominated in numbers, in the toughness of their culture and in the determination with which they acquired land, that the whole Plantation enterprise took on Scottish characteristics and the name ' Ulster Scots ' came in time to be applied to the entire non-Irish population of the Province which include large numbers of English, much smaller numbers of Welsh and some refugee French Protestants. In America the term ' Scotch Irish ', which had originally been used by Ulster students training for the Presbyterian ministry at Scottish universities, was applied to the Protestant immigrants from Ulster to distinguish them from the Catholic Irish who arrived later.

From the early years of the eighteenth century, thousands of Ulster Scots emigrated to the Colonies of British North America, first to New England and then in much larger numbers to Pennsylvania. From thence they went southwards though the Great Valley, east of the Applachian Mountains, into the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and on to the Piedmont of North and South Carolina. Within three generations the line of the Appalachian range, from New England to Georgia was dotted with settlements of Ulster origin.

This was the beginning of the American Old West and the Scots-Irish people provided most of its pioneers, the archetypal frontiersman, Davy Crockett, was the son of an immigrant from Co Londonderry. They also left in the Appalachian region a rich heritage of material culture - the masonry skills of the Ulster Scot can be traced from the bawns or defensive walls of Plantation Ulster to the stone houses of Kentucky - a story-telling tradition and a legacy of music and dance which was the basis of Appalachian mountain culture.

In the American War of Independence the Scots-Irish contribution was two-fold. A large proportion of the political activists, particularly in Pennsylvania and the Carolinas, were Scots-Irish and the Presbyterian congregations, composed very largely of first, second, and third generation Ulster people, provided the conduits for revolutionary philosophy. One contemporary summed up the whole revolution as a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Rebellion.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
[quote=Ulsterman;50942909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Aye I agree, there are two ways of seeing the Ulster-Scots people. Either on historical/political matters or families and the part they played. On the historical side the migration of over 200,000 to America is given the most attention but in the 1800s too there were around 100,000 who left Ulster for America or Canada. This seems to agree with the link you posted...

Although they came into what was an English colony and many of them were originally part of the official settlement of Ulster by the English Crown, the Scots so predominated in numbers, in the toughness of their culture and in the determination with which they acquired land, that the whole Plantation enterprise took on Scottish characteristics and the name ' Ulster Scots ' came in time to be applied to the entire non-Irish population of the Province which include large numbers of English, much smaller numbers of Welsh and some refugee French Protestants. In America the term ' Scotch Irish ', which had originally been used by Ulster students training for the Presbyterian ministry at Scottish universities, was applied to the Protestant immigrants from Ulster to distinguish them from the Catholic Irish who arrived later.

From the early years of the eighteenth century, thousands of Ulster Scots emigrated to the Colonies of British North America, first to New England and then in much larger numbers to Pennsylvania. From thence they went southwards though the Great Valley, east of the Applachian Mountains, into the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and on to the Piedmont of North and South Carolina. Within three generations the line of the Appalachian range, from New England to Georgia was dotted with settlements of Ulster origin.

This was the beginning of the American Old West and the Scots-Irish people provided most of its pioneers, the archetypal frontiersman, Davy Crockett, was the son of an immigrant from Co Londonderry. They also left in the Appalachian region a rich heritage of material culture - the masonry skills of the Ulster Scot can be traced from the bawns or defensive walls of Plantation Ulster to the stone houses of Kentucky - a story-telling tradition and a legacy of music and dance which was the basis of Appalachian mountain culture.

In the American War of Independence the Scots-Irish contribution was two-fold. A large proportion of the political activists, particularly in Pennsylvania and the Carolinas, were Scots-Irish and the Presbyterian congregations, composed very largely of first, second, and third generation Ulster people, provided the conduits for revolutionary philosophy. One contemporary summed up the whole revolution as a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Rebellion.
Everything you write and everything I've read would tell me that I should be able to confirm 'who' they are but it just can't be done. Anyway, I am satisfied and proud (most of the time) to be just a regular American and I'm not looking for a badge or moniker for who they were, who we (my family) are because in the end an American is just as good as any other citizenry of the world.

Well, I can no more say today where the hell my people are really from other than what I know for a fact about their presence in America; Virginia, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Kentucky, really it appears just about everywhere along the Eastern American seaboard. THERE are just so many of them with the same names, back and forth from father to son to father to grandson, etc., etc.

Northern Europe is a...crapshoot; England, Scotland, County Cork, Ireland but nothing traceable from there to 'here'.

They have never claimed an identity from anywhere in Northern Europe, they've always, always only and modestly been just 'plain old 'Americans", nothing more and nothing less.

Anyway, this is all I've got...for now. Maybe you all have seen this already if so...'enjoy it again', if not just enjoy.

Scots-Irish or Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scots

The Appalachians: The Scotch-Irish
Born Fighting: The Scots-Irish Pt.1
Born Fighting: The Scots-Irish Pt.2

This Northern Ireland documentary follows American Senator Jim Webb, author of Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, as he charts the incredible story of the Scots-Irish, and discovers how they helped build one of the most powerful nations in the world.

Born Fighting sees Senator Webb, himself of Scots-Irish heritage, travel from his home in the United States to Scotland and Northern Ireland, where he visits Belfast, Carrickfergus, Newtownstewart and Londonderry, to tell the story of the Scots-Irish and how they shaped present day America.

Scots-Irish or Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scots

Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,151,799 times
Mention of family ties rather that an overall picture of the Scots-Irish/Ulster-Scots reminded me that most of Billy Kennedy's books are about that. The index of his various books has the family names of the Ulster people in America.. This is just a couple of pages from The Scots-Irish in Tennessee..

Old 02-10-2018, 01:08 PM

16,583 posts, read 15,502,808 times
Closed.

You people all know to take your Political post to the Politics or Current Events forum. Quit posting them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History