Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,848,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I have friends in England who have walked in Southport. I went to watch the parade once and it was a great day and Southport is a lovey wee town.

It was a bit dicey here at one time. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time could cost you your life. However, thankfully times are different now, though there is still some minor trouble now and again. But overall things are definitely better.
"Here"? You are there, Ulster? I assumed you were in America. in terms of safety, what is the area around the New Lodge Rd like, off the Antrim?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,156,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
"Here"? You are there, Ulster? I assumed you were in America. in terms of safety, what is the area around the New Lodge Rd like, off the Antrim?
Not from that end of the city, but I know it is a republican area. I wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Not from that end of the city, but I know it is a republican area. I wouldn't be anywhere near it.
Yikes...was going to go there and around Queens Rd and Hillman St. I could always pretend I am American

Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Yikes...was going to go there and around Queens Rd and Hillman St. I could always pretend I am American
Aye, you'd be alright being an American I would say. Think Hillman Street was Protestant at one time but the demographics have changed a lot due to the 'troubles'. Tigers Bay is nearby which is still Protestant (I think)

I see that you live in Raleigh. I'm nearly sure that's where a man who took to do with the Ulster Scots Society of America was from. We had a party of Americans from that Society over here a few years ago.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,684,533 times
Ulster? Do Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal count?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Aye, you'd be alright being an American I would say. Think Hillman Street was Protestant at one time but the demographics have changed a lot due to the 'troubles'. Tigers Bay is nearby which is still Protestant (I think)

I see that you live in Raleigh. I'm nearly sure that's where a man who took to do with the Ulster Scots Society of America was from. We had a party of Americans from that Society over here a few years ago.
Thanks, this is helpful! Agree, think Hillman was at one time. My dad was born there. My granddad was killed on Queens as a young man, caught in crossfire, so I know the areas around were kind of mixed. thanks again!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ulster? Do Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal count?

Have been though all this many many times before. And yes, if you want to count them in too. Be my guest.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful! Agree, think Hillman was at one time. My dad was born there. My granddad was killed on Queens as a young man, caught in crossfire, so I know the areas around were kind of mixed. thanks again!
Sorry to hear that about your granddad. When you know the score its a help, and then you can make your decisions as to where to go.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that about your granddad. When you know the score its a help, and then you can make your decisions as to where to go.
Yes, very helpful! I will also see if I can find the group you mentioned earlier. Would be something if they have a local group

Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
I think you have summed us up fairly well. We weren't perfect and I think you have to judge a people against the times they lived in. That's right about Londonderry and Derry, and I think it was the Rev McGregor who had a lot to do with it. He was a defender during the Siege of Londonderry in Ulster.

Maybe, not so much warlike if they were left alone. They were hard neighbours to the native-Americans, but this was after they had been killing them. God's Frontiersmen says there were 50 settlers being killed for every native-American killed. However, that changed and it wasn't pretty. They hit back just as hard if not harder.

One mans view.

The Ulster-Scots/Scotch-Irish...An assessment.

Winthrop Sargent, in his book “Introductory Memoir to the Journal of Braddock’s Expedition,” offers this assessment of the Scotch-Irish as a people:

“They were a hardy, brave, hot-headed race, excitable in temper, unrestrainable in passion, invincible in prejudice. Their hand opened as impetuously to a friend as it clinched against a foe. ... Impatient of restraint, rebellious against everything that in their eyes bore the semblance of injustice, we find these men readiest among the ready on the battlefields of the Revolution. If they had faults, a lack of patriotism or of courage was not among the number.”
The Ulster Scots had a long history of being used for other's purposes. As they were mainly descendent from the lowland scots, they were the buffer with the English. As they were moved into Ulster and the surrounding area to 'dilute' the Irish Catholics, then later were evicted from the better areas in favor of large estates. Large numbers came to the American colonies, and poured into the border areas with Native populations where they again served as a 'buffer'.

They were tough people and had to be to survive. It's not accident that they were a driving force in the Revolution since they had so often been used and had the chance to change things. My family is heavily descendent from them, and I'm pretty sure the family temper is too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.