Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:23 PM

214 posts, read 329,896 times

Advertisements

I cannot understand people who say these times in history aren't interesting. Can you imagine what it would have been like? I am fascinated, some could say obsessed (lol) with the age of the dinosaurs. I always wonder what it would have been like. Forests of ferns and conifers, flood plains and a warm climate, teeming with huge creatures travelling and hunting. It is amazing to think about, don't you agree?

Also, to think about the world more recently. Imagine early humans in Africa millions of years ago and what it must have been like to survive. How did they live? What did they do day to day? How did they communicate with each other? How did they learn to hunt and forage etc?

Honestly, I find these days boring. I wish I had a time machine to go back in time and experience life in both periods in time. This planet is absolutely amazing! How every single person isn't interested in how life was like way before us confuses me. It is a wonderful subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:50 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,553,512 times
California,
I'm with you. But my fascination also runs later on the timeline (age of Woolly Mammoths & Sabertooth tigers, etc). I used to live (& work) close to the La Brea Tar Pits in LA.. it's cool place to see & imagine what life was like back then; for both man & animals..

Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
I cannot understand people who say these times in history aren't interesting. Can you imagine what it would have been like? I am fascinated, some could say obsessed (lol) with the age of the dinosaurs. I always wonder what it would have been like. Forests of ferns and conifers, flood plains and a warm climate, teeming with huge creatures travelling and hunting. It is amazing to think about, don't you agree?

Also, to think about the world more recently. Imagine early humans in Africa millions of years ago and what it must have been like to survive. How did they live? What did they do day to day? How did they communicate with each other? How did they learn to hunt and forage etc?

Honestly, I find these days boring. I wish I had a time machine to go back in time and experience life in both periods in time. This planet is absolutely amazing! How every single person isn't interested in how life was like way before us confuses me. It is a wonderful subject.
The periods you refer to are prehistoric.

Just sayin'...

Old 02-07-2018, 07:01 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
I think any time period in the past is fascinating because of how mysterious it is. However, the times we live in are getting complicated enough that most people have little room for investment outside of our present and near future.

I understand your perspective, and theirs.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,811 times
Quote:

I think Dinosaurs were created just for marketing Jurassic park and merchandises. Just remember how they marketed 2012 movie. Many people even were close to believing it.

And finally Indians are good at documenting things from atom to astronomy , but there is no trace of anything about dinosaurs in their history.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Dinosaurs and early humans (like 99% of Homo sapiens) are not historical.

They are part of the disciplines of paleontology and archaeology, respectively.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:

Where did you get those comments that people aren't interested??

I am very interested in those eras....and study history as time permits. ...you are right, the planet and it's past are amazing!

Take some anthropology courses for in depth study of early humans...

Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The periods you refer to are prehistoric.

Just sayin'...
Beat me to it. Realize, OP, that the Dinosaur era went from about 230 million years ago, to about 60 million years ago. Man has been around (H. sapiens) about 200K years. So the dinosaur era was for a damn long time, a damn long time ago. People as we would recognize them have been around a much shorter period of time. Various sci-fi movies to the contrary, there was no overlap, not even close.

Interesting? Yes, of course. But, given that neither dinosaurs nor early man kept historical records, it's not really history.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
But didn't Godzilla appear in Tokyo Bay back in the 50's ?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
It's just a different facet of historical interest. Dinosaurs had no real influence on human history and we are still discovering new facts and varieties so it is still in the realm of discovery. There is a lot of uncertainty and controversy regarding early humans and the early migrations. It's all very interesting but there is some continuing debate in a rapidly changing field. We just learned a few years ago that we carry Neanderthal genetic material. That stunned a lot of people. There's plenty of recorded history to keep us busy while the experts sort out the prehistoric events and eras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History