Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Only 70 years later and the whole world wants to deny it ever happened
General Eisenhower was right they did try to deny it ever happened
Trust me the monsters that did this are still among us
First step to this happening again is disarming the public
Pol Pot, in an attempt to create a different society, subjected his own people in Cambodia to something which resembled the camps far more than anything but Bosnia. The monsters who are willing to subugate other people into animals will always be amonst us. The only thing which stops them is the disgust of others willing to stop it. Pol Pot was taken down by North Vietnam which found him repugnant.

We DO have to remember, and read the stories and be reminded how easy it is for these cold monsters to sneek into a society. Once upon a time, genocide was how you ended wars, but we have labeled it unacceptable. If we want to keep it that way we deal with the reality of the Nazi and other smaller regiums which didn't get the memo. Yes, we as a species are perfectly cabable of being monsters and sitting down to a civilized dinner with the family that evening. We should never forget that or it becomes our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,296,294 times
I am not diminishing any other racial mass murders. They are all horrible beyond thought.

However, as an American the two mass deportation, killings, torture, slave labor, starvations and family separations of races of people that effect me the most are The Holocaust (the destruction of the European Jewry) and the American and European importation of people from Africa for the purpose of enslavement, abuse, and degradation.

The derides of American - European slavery affects our society to this day.

Since I am originally from New York, I've met people who survived the Holocaust. That had a huge impact upon me. Each had been physically maimed to varying degrees.
Strangely, none were bitter or angry.

I've also met a man who was the grandson of an enslaved person. He was a friend of my father.An interesting man with many interesting and horrific tales to tell. Not only about his families enslavement, but about the uneasy and terrifying years following "emancipation".

He had a thriving business in NY. He was full of gratitude and joy.

Those two "holocausts" effected me the most. Which is not to trivialize any other breaches of humanity that have occurred on this earth.

We need to stop having a competition each week about what hideous event was worse than the other, or attempt to force others to agree that a certain event was worse.

What a morbid competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History