Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,768,940 times

Advertisements

Attached Thumbnails
This is not the "pop culture" forum, this is the "HISTORY" forum-sparta003.jpg  

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,040,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Hear, hear, HEAR!!!

We are inundated by too many teenyboppers who believe civilization began with the invention of the video game and the flush toilet.
That's the ME generation for you.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,828,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
There is a big debate going on among historians - the teachers of history and the writers of history - about this new way of presenting history. Social history it is called. I don't know what they call the old way that I learned. Maybe someone else does. Both do have their value but social history seems to turn into personal history that really has nothing to do with "history".

I used to protest history magazines that never published any articles except those about wars. There is more to history than wars - which is what the social historians are trying to show. We read about Thomas Jefferson and his contributions to the new government. Is that it? Is that all? Social historians want to tell how he lived, how his family lived, how his slaves lived. A lot of people who think they know all about Jefferson because they can tell you his contribution to the constitution and the Louisiana Purchase. But they have no idea that he had slaves while he frowned on the idea of slavery - actually wrote against the institution. They know nothing of his contribution to architecture and other things that affect our everyday lives.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. For my part, I rather suspect the reason people learn more history after they leave school is that they get the personal, social side of it. That means more to them because it relates to everyday living.

Maybe just separate the two?
Social history is obviously superior; the artificial detachment characteristic of traditional academic presentations of history does nothing for the advancement of true historical awareness IMO. People rarely connect the dots between the facts (facts including "what X, Y, and W caused Z") they're encouraged to memorize.

I endorse everything cpg said in this thread...not to say Grandstander doesn't make valid points as well, but from a big-picture perspective, I'm on the side of the de facto social historian cpg. Also jtur88 makes a good point that a forum is inevitably going to reflect the interests and strengths of its participants.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,226,365 times
I am with you on that, Matt. And, for pity's sake, give us a bit more than the wars. All I came out of school with re history was the Revolution, Civil War and Indian wars - the latter never mentioning the massacres.

History Today does a fine job of publishing both the social and the traditional (for want of a better word). Would that we had a similar American magazine. We'll get there some day. Change takes time.

Back to the original purpose of this thread - whether to keep social history here or separate - someone else can decide. Separate threads, maybe? Would that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History