Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM

99,048 posts, read 4,466,334 times

Advertisements

We were using them in our office in 2012 to type labels for case files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,039,504 times
I still have an old typewriter around here. I use it once in a while when I want to type an envelope. It's probably an antique by now!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think the last time I used one was probably late 80s early 90s. I know that I used to work for a bank and we had a guy that repaired typewrites throughout the branches.. that job did not disappear before I left in 1993 or so. Obviously they are still in use in some places and I suspect many folks just can't convince themselves to throw them away, similar to cassette players or VCRs.

I learned to TYPE on a typewriter back in High School. At the time, typing didn't seem like a skill that I would ever need but I took the class because I thought I could get an easy A (or B)... as it turns out, that class was probably the most beneficial class I took in High School, at least the most beneficial elective class I took!
I took typing in college. At the time I was also taking programming and we had to type in our programs on cards. I'd spend twice as much time typing cards, sometimes more if they mis punched. I never got much of a grade in typing class, but then the keys were different on the keypunch and I got to be a whiz at that.

What I didn't like about the selectric was if as much as breathed hard on a key it typed it. But it think it was the first mostly flat keyboard on a typewriter.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM

854 posts, read 1,473,312 times
Did most people own word processors in the late 80s/early 90s at home? Because computers were not in the majority of Western households until the late 90s/early 2000s.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,790,727 times
I don't know when people quit using them. I don't think that I've even seen one in the past 10 years.

A few years ago I applied for a gov't job. One of the questions on their written test was 1) was it better to store the typewriter on the top shelf to get it out of the way or 2) should it be stored on the lowest shelf for easier access to it.

I still remember that idiot question and to this day I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:20 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,612,967 times
Still use them where I work. There are multi-copy forms that are not available online that people have to fill out (ie: state death certificates).

Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 PM

89 posts, read 185,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I still have an old typewriter around here. I use it once in a while when I want to type an envelope. It's probably an antique by now!
Yup. I've been doing most of my composition on computers since 1983, but we only got rid of our little portable typewriter last year, because there were so many things where it was easier to just type it. Envelopes. A single label on a sheet of labels. Many kinds of forms.

But we realized at one point that we hadn't used the typewriter in nearly a year, so off to Goodwill it went.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,980,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I remember in 1997 already thinking they were obsolete as we had a computer and printer at home, but I imagine many people still used them then as a lot of people still didn't have computers. Are there countries today where cheap PCs and printers haven't totally ousted them?

We have a typewriter and I still use it, not often but I do use it and hope to be using it more as I get the guest room divided into a guest room/small office/sewing room.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,962,912 times
Quote:
Did most people own word processors in the late 80s/early 90s at home? Because computers were not in the majority of Western households until the late 90s/early 2000s.
Some people owned typewriters at home, but it was never as common as the computer is now. Word Processors were common but never as common as the computer would be. For home use very little was required to be typewritten. If you were in College then papers and other assignments had to be typewritten.

In High School, only a few things I did were typed. In Grade School only one. Libraries had typewriters you could use if you needed one and you also could pay someone to type it for you. Typewriters were more office tools than things found at home. Maybe if the person was an college student at some time or did typing to the side or liked to write would a person own an typewriter. Today if you walked into somebodies house and they did not have a computer, you would think it strange. With the typewriter if you walked in and they didn't have one, you wouldn't.

Last edited by chirack; 04-15-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM

18,486 posts, read 15,438,772 times
Quote:
I remember in 1997 already thinking they were obsolete as we had a computer and printer at home, but I imagine many people still used them then as a lot of people still didn't have computers. Are there countries today where cheap PCs and printers haven't totally ousted them?
The math department reception desk clerk back at my undergrad institution was still using one in 2005 and 2006 (U of Ark., Fayetteville, AR)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History