Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,035,571 times

Advertisements

The Battle of New Orleans. They were luck the war was stopped before the Brits replied. That would have been interesting.

This mob were good...
http://www.shropshireregimentalmuseu...cia-1812-1815/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,136,737 times
Churchill had his picture taken with a Thompson, not a Sten.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...99378313242443

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

12,895 posts, read 13,227,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The Battle of New Orleans. They were luck the war was stopped before the Brits replied. That would have been interesting.

This mob were good...
The 85th Light Infantry in North America 1812 - 1815.
Well, being pickled in a barrel of rum & sent home is not a bad deal - excepting the circumstances that puts one there to begin with.

But as for General Ross, there is probably a substantial number of Americans that wouldn't mind seeing a repetition of his action today, what with the way Washington DC has been behaving in recent years.

Uh... I mean

/NSA

Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, being pickled in a barrel of rum & sent home is not a bad deal - excepting the circumstances that puts one there to begin with.
The Brits had just defeated Napoleon. The full brunt of those hardened scallywags would not be something anyone would like to face.
Quote:
But as for General Ross, there is probably a substantial number of Americans that wouldn't mind seeing a repetition of his action today, what with the way Washington DC has been behaving in recent years.
I must agree the Brits should be called back there to sort that place out. Shocking state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Churchill had his picture taken with a Thompson, not a Sten.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...99378313242443
No doubt the first gun they could get for the photo shoot.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,175,589 times
wimpy hand machine guns are for girlymen. This is the real deal. German troops were said to surrender to squads literally half their size because of the awesome power of this weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9qWQ5oQxk

Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
wimpy hand machine guns are for girlymen. This is the real deal. German troops were said to surrender to squads literally half their size because of the awesome power of this weapon.
One must behave! 1 million made. About 1 million less than the Sten.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM

12,895 posts, read 13,227,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post

No doubt the first gun they could get for the photo shoot.
A 1928 Thompson! Those are much sought after by Class III collectors in the USA. Quite expensive though - they run about $25,000 + depending on accessories, etc. Plus the government paperwork hassle.

On a side note - A small southeastern town police department - in Georgia I think - recently discovered two of those weapons in their storeroom complete & in the original wood boxes. The police chief (with the town council's blessing) sold them to a qualified collector and used the proceeds to purchase eighty eight AR-15 rifles to equip all his officers.
Why a little town needs to do that is kind of baffling though.

Anyway, sorry to hijack.
But being a collector myself (not Class III, however), that photo of Churchill piqued my interest.

Wouldn't mind having a Garand, but my new S&W M&P 15 Sport 5.56 NATO is a sweet little plinker.

Last edited by ScoPro; 05-07-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,156 times
Chango wrote:

"Stens are complete crap. They are "spray and pray" weapons; their only advantage was how cheap and easy they were to manufacture. I've shot one too; it's one of the more common civy-legal NFA guns. I could not get through a single mag without it jamming and forget about actually hitting anything with it.

The most effective guns of WW2 were probably the Browning MGs. They were so good the US military is STILL using them today."

I strongly disagree. Stens, especially the C&R trophy guns, are quite effective. They can "spray and pray" but when properly used can easily hit targets with single shots up to and beyond 100 feet. I have nailed targets with single shots and short bursts with my Normandy capture Sten Mk-II out to 100 yds. Never once have I had a jam, and most jams I read about were caused mostly by defective magazines that are fallible to dust or grit. In North Africa, the magazines had the side counting holes blocked so as to minimize that fault. Also the original barrels on Mk-II's should have a mark on it that should be aligned with the sights so that the aim is true. One thing I did find is that the "T" stock wobbles, and if it is not taken into account then one will miss the target in single shots at range. So, jamming the stock against shoulder and cheek as one takes aim to one side and slowly squeezing off the trigger as one would with any carbine makes the gun accurate as it would be for this type of sub gun.

Cheaply made yes. But a piece of "crap" NO WAY! Tried and tested, and not tossed, these cheaply made, yet robust guns helped win WWII on all fronts.

Last edited by SRSchoner; 06-10-2014 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 02:00 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,116,874 times
I would choose Russian SVT-40, American Browning M2 and German MG-34 and MG-42.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:03 AM

12,309 posts, read 8,038,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I cannot tell if you are serious or not. Look at the longevity of the Sten vs. the Stirling in British military use.

Ironic that some U.S. combat soldiers actually would use the MP 38/40s when available as captured weapons. Germans would use the PPSh-41.

Well researched books dealing with WW2 infantry weapons and written by those who are knowledgeable will state the Sten was a mass produced due to low cost and simplicity not because it was the better than similar sub-machine guns.(the correct term)

Finnish and Australians both had outstanding ones as well.
One of the better SMGs was not even used by combatants, the Swedish K, but used extensively postwar in colonial conflicts.
I had a different take, the US version of the cheap sub-machine gun the M3 grease gun with no modifications stayed in service with tank crews up into the late 1980s. The US choice of pistol caliber ammunition was the only hold back of providing it for European resistance groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History