Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Georgia's major strategic role in the Revolution was as a staging point for attacks into British Florida, and of course the French were allies of the Patriots.
The Patriots were those who supported the Crown. The others were Rebels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Jamestown, VA. was the first successful British colony settled. It was settled in 1607. Plymount was settled in 1620. Also Hopewell, VA. which is another British colony was settled in 1613. Both Virginia colonies are older than Plymount.
Agreed, and I think people forget this. But a huge difference I always come back to is that The Virginia colony was a business venture, while Plymouth was religious. I think that's why we focus on Plymouth, it jibes better with out American mythology.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:49 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I thought everyone died at Jamestown? Or am I thinking of a different settlement?
You are thinking of Roanoke. Big mystery.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Almost everyone at Jamestown died, which may be what you remember. ONly 60 out of 500 survived the winter of 1609-10

Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Mayflower Compact- The idea of law made by the people was continued. This idea lies at the heart of democracy.

Two important permanent settlements: Pilgrims at Plymouth, Puritans in Mass Bay Colony.

Harvard College-est. 1636, the oldest institution of higher learning in the US.

1773-Boston Tea Party. Throwing British tea into the ocean to protest high taxes.
People having input, not taking orders from government--the sort of idea that lead to the Revolution.

1775-First battle of the American Revolution fought at Lexington & Concord. Paul Revere's ride.

1776-British troops forced out of Boston--first major victory of the Revolution.

--and more. I think Massachusetts comes in first in terms of early established communities with their own governments, educational awareness, and sparking the American Revolution.
I say: P E N N S Y L V A N I A

-- Philadelphia, the largest and most populous city in the British colonies in the 18th Century.

-- Philadelphia the second largest English-speaking city in the world in the 18th Century; after London itself!

-- Founded in the 1600's as William Penn's "noble experiment" where all religions could be practiced freely laying the groundwork for religious freedon in America.

-- William Penn's treaty with Chief Tamanend of the Lenni Lenape Indians, an unprecidented act of respect, civility, friendship which was praised throughout the world (read Voltaire on the subject).

-- Dr. Benjamin Franklin, the most celebrated and admired American in the world at that time.

-- The University of Pennsylvania, the first University in colonial America (Harvard and Yale were chartered as theological seminaries, not multi-disciplinary universities so Penn can rightfully claim to be the First University).

-- The House of Burgesses meets at Philadelphia's Carpenter's Hall

-- The First Congress meets at the Pennsylvania State House, now called Independence Hall

-- The Declaration of Independence, discussed, debated, drafted, signed in Philadelphia

-- Betsy Ross and the Stars and Stripes

-- The Battle of Germantown

-- The Battle of Brandywine

-- Washington at Valley Forge

-- The British occupation of Philadelphia

-- Washington crosses the Delaware River

-- The Constitution of the United States of America written, debated and signed here.

... and also onsider these Philadelphia Firsts ...

• 1682 - first brick house in the colonies
  • 1683 - first public park
  • 1685 - first published almanac
  • 1698 - first public school
  • 1719 - first fire engine
  • 1728 - first botanic garden
  • 1731 - first library
  • 1732 - first hospital
  • 1742 - first theater
  • 1753 - Pass & Stow cast the first bell ... The Liberty Bell
  • 1775 - first piano made in the colonies
Oh, I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

Last edited by Clark Park; 05-02-2014 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The Patriots were those who supported the Crown. The others were Rebels.
On this side of the pond, the "Patriots" were those who fought for their country and their freedom - the were patriotic Americans who overthrew the rule of a foreign despotic king. Those were in favor of staying subordinate to the British royal family are called "Loyalists."

Anyway, it's the victorious who write the history, capiche?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Almost everyone at Jamestown died, which may be what you remember. ONly 60 out of 500 survived the winter of 1609-10
This is what I'm thinking as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Look at which colonial delegations decided the articles of the US Constitution. Rhode Island didn't even send a delegation. It was: VA, PA, SC, NY, MA, NC, GA and few others, as I recall. The most debated provisions of all were those that favored the institution of American negro slavery (Section 9 of Article 1; Section 2, Article 4, Article 5, and Section 2 of Article 1) in the Southern states and other, Northern states that traded with them, like NY, PA and MA.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Maryland was founded as a Catholic colony and passed the 'Toleration Act' of 1649 allowing freedom of religion, presaging the First Amendment. Without this, America might have evolved differently, with state-run church/church-run state. That was certainly the early direction of Massachusetts under John Winthrop. Rhode Island and Pennsylvania also played some role in religious freedom, of course.

Charleston SC was a boomtown in later colonial times due to being an important port.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Flushing Remonstrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Maryland was founded as a Catholic colony and passed the 'Toleration Act' of 1649 allowing freedom of religion, presaging the First Amendment. Without this, America might have evolved differently, with state-run church/church-run state. That was certainly the early direction of Massachusetts under John Winthrop. Rhode Island and Pennsylvania also played some role in religious freedom, of course.

Charleston SC was a boomtown in later colonial times due to being an important port.
I think that many of us learned that the first Pilgrims came to Plymouth and Massachusetts seeking religious freedom. Yeah its true but it turns out they were only seeking religious freedom for themselves!

Besides Rhode Island and Maryland, one of the bigger victories for real religious freedom of all came from Flushing in New Netherland (New York). There during the "Flushing Remonstrance", English colonists living in what was a foreign country at the time, petitioned in 1657 for religious freedom for Quakers and eventually won. After this New Netherland began to allow religious freedom for different Christian groups and even Jews.

Flushing Remonstrance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Bowne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Bowne left Boston for religious freedom in Flushing, New Netherland and became one of the leaders of the Flushing Remonstrance. His 1661 house still stands in Flushing. John Bowne House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History