Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times

Advertisements

When the United States was still in its colonial stage, the 13 colonies all had varying degrees of importance and influence. How would you rank them? My list goes like this, from most important to least important:

1. Massachusetts
2. Pennsylvania
3. Virginia
4. South Carolina
5. New York
6. Maryland
7. Connecticut
8. Rhode Island
9. Georgia
10. Delaware
11. New Jersey
12. New Hampshire
13. North Carolina

Massachusetts is where the first successful British colony was settled, and it's also where the American Revolution started. Its culture had a very strong influence on New England culture at large. Pennsylvania was a very progressive colony, and it's where the American Revolution reached its flashpoint and unified all the colonies against England. Virginia was a rich colony with several very influential Founding Fathers, and it's where the American Revolution was won. These three colonies seem to stand out above the rest. Not only did they have strong influence on other colonies, but they also influenced the cultures of inland areas that were settled after the United States was established.

Rank the 13 original colonies based on how you perceive their importance during the colonial period, and enlighten me on their history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,149,888 times
At the time of the revolution, I'd say it would be more like this:

1. Virginia
2. New York
3. Pennsylvania
4. Massachusetts
5. Maryland
6. South Carolina
7. North Carolina
8. Connecticut
9. Georgia
10. Rhode Island
11. Delaware
12. New Hampshire
13. Vermont

While I'll admit that some of those are guesses, I know for a fact that Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York were the most important colonies. Their economies were the biggest because of Virginia's big tobacco industry, Pennsylvania's agriculture (and Philadelphia), and New York's important namesake port.

Also, the first successful American colony (Jamestown) was in Virginia, not Massachusetts.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,894,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
When the United States was still in its colonial stage, the 13 colonies all had varying degrees of importance and influence. How would you rank them? My list goes like this, from most important to least important:

1. Massachusetts
2. Pennsylvania
3. Virginia
4. South Carolina
5. New York
6. Maryland
7. Connecticut
8. Rhode Island
9. Georgia
10. Delaware
11. New Jersey
12. New Hampshire
13. North Carolina

Massachusetts is where the first successful British colony was settled, and it's also where the American Revolution started. Its culture had a very strong influence on New England culture at large. Pennsylvania was a very progressive colony, and it's where the American Revolution reached its flashpoint and unified all the colonies against England. Virginia was a rich colony with several very influential Founding Fathers, and it's where the American Revolution was won. These three colonies seem to stand out above the rest. Not only did they have strong influence on other colonies, but they also influenced the cultures of inland areas that were settled after the United States was established.

Rank the 13 original colonies based on how you perceive their importance during the colonial period, and enlighten me on their history!
Jamestown, VA. was the first successful British colony settled. It was settled in 1607. Plymount was settled in 1620. Also Hopewell, VA. which is another British colony was settled in 1613. Both Virginia colonies are older than Plymount.

Last edited by Dyadic; 04-17-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
I thought everyone died at Jamestown? Or am I thinking of a different settlement?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,071,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I thought everyone died at Jamestown? Or am I thinking of a different settlement?
I think you're thinking of the Roanoke Colony. Jamestown was permanent.

Or maybe you're thinking of the mass suicide at Jonestown.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM

36,624 posts, read 67,123,456 times
I feel like taking a historical tour of colonial Virginia now.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Jamestown, VA. was the first successful British colony settled. It was settled in 1607. Plymount was settled in 1620. Also Hopewell, VA. which is another British colony was settled in 1613. Both Virginia colonies are older than Plymount.
The stark difference being that Jamestown was about business and Plymouth was about freedom. Further, Jamestown was founded under the direction of the King, where Plymouth was in defiance of the King.

Oh, and Jamestown doesn't exist anymore whereas Plymouth is a thriving community.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-17-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The stark difference being that Jamestown was about business and Plymouth was about freedom. Further, Jamestown was founded under the direction of the King, where Plymouth was in defiance of the King.

Oh, and Jamestown doesn't exist anymore whereas Plymouth is a thriving community.
Jamestown is a living museum. However, Hopewell is alive a well and still seven year older than Plymouth. I was just replying to the OP's claim that Plymouth was the oldest British colony in America which isn't true.

Last edited by Dyadic; 04-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM

1,271 posts, read 1,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
At the time of the revolution, I'd say it would be more like this:

1. Virginia
2. New York
3. Pennsylvania
4. Massachusetts
5. Maryland
6. South Carolina
7. North Carolina
8. Connecticut
9. Georgia
10. Rhode Island
11. Delaware
12. New Hampshire
13. Vermont

While I'll admit that some of those are guesses, I know for a fact that Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York were the most important colonies. Their economies were the biggest because of Virginia's big tobacco industry, Pennsylvania's agriculture (and Philadelphia), and New York's important namesake port.

Also, the first successful American colony (Jamestown) was in Virginia, not Massachusetts.

NJ should definitely be listed in here, important battles were held here during the revolution. Also, since it was in between Philadelphia and NYC, it's location was important.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM

I would rank them in the following order:

1. Virginia
2. New York
3. Pennsylvania
4. Massachusetts
5. Maryland
6. South Carolina
7. North Carolina
8. Delaware
9. Rhode Island
10. Vermont
11. Connecticut
12. New Hampshire
13. Georgia

Virginia is ranked number one because it was the wealthiest, most populated and most influential of the 13 original colonies. Just to illustrate my point, 5 of the first 10 U.S. presidents were Virginians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History