Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM

53 posts, read 98,776 times

Advertisements

Yeah Kennedy made a big mark kinda similar to when Washington died, everyone mourned when Washington died, even when he was no longer president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
What an interesting thread. My first thought was Clinton, then the second thought was Teddy Roosevelt. And I agree JFK was well loved...but, I'm going to go with Clinton. And the reason is that he always made me feel like I'd love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with the guy, and it wouldn't be intimidating. He had/has such a comfortable way about him. And I always understood what he was trying to tell me. He didn't talk down to people, and he didn't try to impress with vocabulary. I never felt like he was "spinning" information to talk without saying anything.

Reagan - always seemed so fake to me. And it was apparent, so quickly, that the guy had Altzheimers and that his wife was covering for him. Reagan's best skill was finding incredibly capable "managers" he delegated to. Nancy's best skill was keeping him in office, even after he didn't even know where they were half the time. Sad. I never got any warm and fuzzies from Reagan.

I, personally, have always loved Jimmy Carter, too. He's always seemed like such a sincere, honest, caring man, as well as being very capable. He wasn't good at charming his critics or the masses, though, like Clinton.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 AM

Alot of people speculate that Reagan had Alzheimer's in the white house, personally i dont think he did.

Wasent diagnosed until the mid 90's and the guy was said to been comprehensive until 2001.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,577,739 times
As someone living in the UK.. Kennedy is the only US President who most people knew about much and liked..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,784,843 times
The media keeps telling me that Clinton had charisma, but he turned my stomach so much I couldn't see it.

I guess some might say Castro, Mao, Hitler, and Stalin had charisma also.

They too had their cheerleaders.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

25,361 posts, read 17,020,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The media keeps telling me that Clinton had charisma, but he turned my stomach so much I couldn't see it.

I guess some might say Castro, Mao, Hitler, and Stalin had charisma also.

They too had their cheerleaders.
The Media Driven Presidents.

We are told so-and-so was charismatic and this other person is beautiful and pretty soon we all start to believe it.
Michelle Obama is beautiful. Clinton was charismatic.

Fact is, Michelle ain't all that pretty and with her perpetual scowl can be downright unattractive.
And if Clinton is so charismatic, how come he never got 50% of the vote?

It's like asking a room full of cheerleaders who the best team is.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Clinton is full of charisma. Just look at him hahaha, I have no alligence with any president and knew he was charismatic.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,524,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What an interesting thread. My first thought was Clinton, then the second thought was Teddy Roosevelt. And I agree JFK was well loved...but, I'm going to go with Clinton. And the reason is that he always made me feel like I'd love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with the guy, and it wouldn't be intimidating. He had/has such a comfortable way about him. And I always understood what he was trying to tell me. He didn't talk down to people, and he didn't try to impress with vocabulary. I never felt like he was "spinning" information to talk without saying anything.

Reagan - always seemed so fake to me. And it was apparent, so quickly, that the guy had Altzheimers and that his wife was covering for him. Reagan's best skill was finding incredibly capable "managers" he delegated to. Nancy's best skill was keeping him in office, even after he didn't even know where they were half the time. Sad. I never got any warm and fuzzies from Reagan.

I, personally, have always loved Jimmy Carter, too. He's always seemed like such a sincere, honest, caring man, as well as being very capable. He wasn't good at charming his critics or the masses, though, like Clinton.
I think the one with the most charisma was the one that is from "my" party. My party always has the most charismatic, most loveable, and most perfect Presidents. The "other" parties Presidents on the other hand were evil incarnate, and should probably be stricken from the public record (I mean unless we want to show how evil their policies were, then we'll remember everything about them).

Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Alot of people speculate that Reagan had Alzheimer's in the white house, personally i dont think he did.

Wasent diagnosed until the mid 90's and the guy was said to been comprehensive until 2001.
OMG, were you old enough when he was in office to see him on TV regularly? He'd say things to the press or look confused when they'd ask him a question, and Nancy would grab him and whisper in his ear, and he'd say something else. They just didn't admit he had Altzheimer's until they couldn't cover up for him anymore.

It was no rumor, you could see it with your own eyes. We all knew he was losing it. Didn't matter how they tried to spin it.

But, as I say, he was a master at finding good people to run the White House without his help. And Nancy kept things in order.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-25-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,274,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OMG, were you old enough when he was in office to see him on TV regularly? He'd say things to the press or look confused when they'd ask him a question, and Nancy would grab him and whisper in his ear, and he'd say something else. They just didn't admit he had Altzheimer's until they couldn't cover up for him anymore.

But, as I say, he was a master at finding good people to run the White House without his help. And Nancy kept things in order.
He was losing his hearing and could not hear people well hence the referenced whispering or confusion. and his dependence on wife and advisors.

ALZ may have been a factor during his presidency or not, we wouldn't know. But the difficulties with loss of hearing are known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History