Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,595,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Half a generation before Jimi, teens loved the music of Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Thurston Harris, Bobby Day...

Before that it was the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers...

Before that it was Louie Armstrong!

Black people have always made great music, and teens are usually on the cutting edge of musical taste.
During the late 50s I was considered part of the beat generation or beatnik. My favorite music was jazz and my favorite hangouts was the Insomniac coffeehouse and the Lighthouse jazz club in Hermosa Beach, CA. I was in the military by 1960.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,746,012 times
I was a teenager in the 1990s. My grandmother was a teenager in the 1950s. I don't think we had the same experiences.

I had the internet in the 1990s lol.

My mom was a teen in the 1970s. My son is a teenager now. He is not like my mom and aunts were when they were teens.

Weird question IMO.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 AM

45 posts, read 40,019 times
I was a teen in the 60s and the main thing I see is in my generation at 18 people left home, almost all of them. Some joined the services so they wouldn't be drafted or they were drafted, some married, some went away to college and some moved to the city and took a job. I and my brothers weren't home two months after graduation the boys went Navy and Air Force and I left for the city the week I graduated. Minimum wage was 1.25 but I could afford to rent a furnished room for $40 a month. We didn't have credit ratings, cars, credit cards, phones or tv because we were poor but we didn't depend on parents.
Kids have a harder time leaving home now and don't trust themselves to just go. They can't rent apartments without credit and work history. Many already have bills from childhood like cell phone contracts and car payments and car insurance. They can't imagine life without a car, phone or tv and internet so can't imagine living on minimum wage. Those that go to college take student loans without a clue how they work. I asked one when his first payment is due and he doesn't know, he didn't read the loan documents, he is 20 with a car, smart phone and no idea how to be poor.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was a teenager in the 1990s. My grandmother was a teenager in the 1950s. I don't think we had the same experiences.

I had the internet in the 1990s lol.

My mom was a teen in the 1970s. My son is a teenager now. He is not like my mom and aunts were when they were teens.

Weird question IMO.
Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straus...ational_theory

You may think its a little too astrology-ish/pseudoscience-ish but Neil Howe is a very well respected historian and economist. He wrote highly respected books called Generations and the Fourth Turning.

It is this kind of thing that people are referring to.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:21 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,746,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straus...ational_theory

You may think its a little too astrology-ish/pseudoscience-ish but Neil Howe is a very well respected historian and economist. He wrote highly respected books called Generations and the Fourth Turning.

It is this kind of thing that people are referring to.
I reviewed the link. It does not discount what I stated. My experiences and my grandmothers were not the same, primarily because I (in the 1990s) and she (in the 1950s) had vastly different technologies and skillsets and familial lives as well.

In the 1950s it was very uncommon to come from a family of divorce for instance. My great grandparents married until they died. My mother and father were not married at all when I was born.

In the 1990s the internet age was starting to take a firm root in America. I graduated high school in the late 1990s. I had the internet when I was a kid. My entire adulthood in regards to my career and now even my social network, has been heavily influenced much more by technology from TV to PCs to smart phones. My grandmother didn't even grow up with a TV in the 1950s (they did get one when she was a teen in the mid 50s, I have a picture of it lol. They were super excited about it she told me).

The mindset of kids today as well are vastly different than they were in the 1970s. Kids today are not nearly as social face to face as kids were in the 1970s. Back in the 1970s "bullying" was expected and you were told to beat the bully up instead of all these campaigns against it. Kids in the 1970s played outside, unsupervised ALL day. Today if kids go outside to play in some areas people will call the police and have their parent's arrested.

It is not the same.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I reviewed the link. It does not discount what I stated. My experiences and my grandmothers were not the same, primarily because I (in the 1990s) and she (in the 1950s) had vastly different technologies and skillsets and familial lives as well.

In the 1950s it was very uncommon to come from a family of divorce for instance. My great grandparents married until they died. My mother and father were not married at all when I was born.

In the 1990s the internet age was starting to take a firm root in America. I graduated high school in the late 1990s. I had the internet when I was a kid. My entire adulthood in regards to my career and now even my social network, has been heavily influenced much more by technology from TV to PCs to smart phones. My grandmother didn't even grow up with a TV in the 1950s (they did get one when she was a teen in the mid 50s, I have a picture of it lol. They were super excited about it she told me).

The mindset of kids today as well are vastly different than they were in the 1970s. Kids today are not nearly as social face to face as kids were in the 1970s. Back in the 1970s "bullying" was expected and you were told to beat the bully up instead of all these campaigns against it. Kids in the 1970s played outside, unsupervised ALL day. Today if kids go outside to play in some areas people will call the police and have their parent's arrested.

It is not the same.
First off, I will address the cut and dry facts and compare it to my own experiences (as we are apparently the same age. I was born in '80 and graduated high school in '98) as well as the older generations in my life, some similar some different. Second, I will address the deeper point of this thread - one has to think a bit more abstractly.

Yes, a lot of what you say is true, and partly matches my experiences growing up.

One way I think you and I might be different is perhaps the shorter generations in your family?? My grandparents already were raising a family in the '50s and were not growing up then (maternal GPs born in '19 and '21 respectively and were caught up in war town Europe. Paternal grandparents a few years older. My OWN parents grew up in the 50s, (Mom born in fall of '43, Dad in early '39).

And yes, my parents experience of when they got their first TV in the mid 50s as I recall them saying. I think in a lot of ways, TV in the 50s in many ways is analagous to internet in the 90s (see PARALLELs and ANALOGIES I think are more of the point of the thread).

I would agree the internet age started in the '90s. Although from my own experience it was more of a wonder and a novelty - it really didnt' start to change how we live until the 2000s in a lot ways.

Maybe for you it was different, but I only heard about the internet I think in '94, experienced it for the first time when I was 15 in '95. '97 (I was 17) thinks picked up a bit. Peers of mine started to talk about creating a webpage, I took a computer class junior year where as a group we created a webpage, later that summer I sent my first email. When I was close to graduation I heard more of my peers talking about chatrooms. But it wasn't until I went off to college, that the internet became a regular part of life.

So, I don't consider myself as "having the internet as a kid" because I was essentially already an adult. Generation X is considered people born early 60s to early 80s, and being or not being a digital native is kind of the cutoff. I feel a little closer to people born in 1970, than I do to people born in 1990.

Certainly won't argue about the sexual revolution changing divorce, sex outside of marriage. The sexual revolution (and other social/cultural revolutions) of the 60s and 70s radically changed people who would have grown up before vs after. Having said that, I didn't have too many peers whose parents were NOT married when they were born (at least no one who shared that openly) however I had a fair number of peers/acquaintances growing up whose parents were divorce (the rate of which, despite what a lot of people assume) has declined since the 80s.

Heres an interesting article about an earlier sexual revolution that took place during the enlightenment of the 1700s (again historical cycles). However it only really applied to aristocratic MEN. Pleasure principles | The Economist

Similar parallels are drawn to the 1920s.

Agreed as well about kids in the 70s being unsupervised. In addition to being a product of divorce and being latchkey kids, being in general underprotected is something that associated as key with Gen ex. Personally I felt like I was raised a little more like a Gen exer at home. (we would play outside all day with little supervision) however I think school was a little more millennial already (I think I grew up with a lot more emphasis on self-esteem and "everyone gets a trophy" than my brother).

Now on to the second point. People who engage in these threads are talking about more abstract historical patterns. Obviously no one is saying that teenagers in the 90s, 70s, or the 50s are the same.

Millennials themselves are called "echo boomers" and in many ways they have a little more similarities to boomers than exers, as millennials are MUCH more politically engaged, and engaged in protests, etc. somewhat shun materialism (no car, DIY, etc. (60s hippies vs 2000s hipsters) but in reality Neil Howe of the above link, actually compares millennials more to those who came of age during the great depression although on a much less severe scale, came of age during the great recession.

I think you get the point. People in threads like this are looking at patterns. They are Intuitive (N) types vs Sensing types who are the majority. Intuitives look for connections between seemingly unrelated things, read between the lines, are on the lookout for patterns that provide insight.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,267,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I feel like those who were teenagers from about 1990-1997 seemed so innocent and they dressed rather conservatively with a few 'rebellious' ones kind of likeGreasers in the 50s and Grunge fans in the 90s. In the 70s, the 50s were viewed as a very simple time and many were nostalgic for the time and 70s teens were much more rebellious and did a lot of drinking, smoking weed, had tons of sex, and partied and teenagers of today seem to do a lot more crazy things than 90s teens ever did so I think today's teens are more like 70s/early 80s teens and the 90s were more like the 50s/early 60s. I know there is much more technology now but overall, teenagers from today aren't all that different from teenagers from the 70s. Also, those who were teens in the 90s seem more conservative but whenever I meet someone who is in their 50s, they are much different and act cooler even though they are on the older side.
No, that would not be my experience with three teens of my own and all of their friends. In fact, I'd say that the teenagers I have regular contact with are very family-oriented and not at all inclined to promiscuity or partying. They are remarkably well behaved compared to my generation (teen in the early to mid '80s).

Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 PM

44,261 posts, read 19,924,577 times
This old thread, resurrected recently, has veered way off-topic too many times. Please remember that this is the History forum. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History