Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 99,152 times

Advertisements

I feel like those who were teenagers from about 1990-1997 seemed so innocent and they dressed rather conservatively with a few 'rebellious' ones kind of likeGreasers in the 50s and Grunge fans in the 90s. In the 70s, the 50s were viewed as a very simple time and many were nostalgic for the time and 70s teens were much more rebellious and did a lot of drinking, smoking weed, had tons of sex, and partied and teenagers of today seem to do a lot more crazy things than 90s teens ever did so I think today's teens are more like 70s/early 80s teens and the 90s were more like the 50s/early 60s. I know there is much more technology now but overall, teenagers from today aren't all that different from teenagers from the 70s. Also, those who were teens in the 90s seem more conservative but whenever I meet someone who is in their 50s, they are much different and act cooler even though they are on the older side.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
I feel like those who were teenagers from about 1990-1997 seemed so innocent and they dressed rather conservatively with a few 'rebellious' ones kind of likeGreasers in the 50s and Grunge fans in the 90s. In the 70s, the 50s were viewed as a very simple time and many were nostalgic for the time and 70s teens were much more rebellious and did a lot of drinking, smoking weed, had tons of sex, and partied and teenagers of today seem to do a lot more crazy things than 90s teens ever did so I think today's teens are more like 70s/early 80s teens and the 90s were more like the 50s/early 60s. I know there is much more technology now but overall, teenagers from today aren't all that different from teenagers from the 70s. Also, those who were teens in the 90s seem more conservative but whenever I meet someone who is in their 50s, they are much different and act cooler even though they are on the older side.
Here we go again....

50's kids became hippies and Weathermen. Personally, over the last 60 plus years, I noticed a lot of fashion changes, I seen teenagers of every generation react or not react to social and political events that effect them but in all that time I can't tell a lick of existential differences between my own teenage years, the teenage years of my now 22 year old or my teenaged nieces and nephews. I really think that this generational BS is a product of old folks with selective memory, young folks without institutional knowledge and a news media built on manufacturing distinctions were none exists.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Teens always have been rebellious, in 1714, 1914, and 2014.

And the beat goes on ...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,896 times
Many if not most of todays teens are on several medications for (at least) ADHD & depression.. One of the side effects of the ADHD medications is stunted development which is one reason why it seems that most 'kids' who are 21 look 12 and many do look sickly either on these medications or on illegal drugs.. Todays teens are Nothing like teens from the 1980s or 1990s...

Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM

56 posts, read 178,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useername View Post
Rebellious teens always existed, same with good teens. Even to this day in 2014, good teenagers exist. They just get drowned down by the bad and slutty ones.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM

204 posts, read 316,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Many if not most of todays teens are on several medications for (at least) ADHD & depression.. One of the side effects of the ADHD medications is stunted development which is one reason why it seems that most 'kids' who are 21 look 12 and many do look sickly either on these medications or on illegal drugs.. Todays teens are Nothing like teens from the 1980s or 1990s...
^ This

We must have a different definition for rebellious. Todays generation is lazy and does not believe or stand for anything. Laying on your back with legs spread open does not make you a rebel.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
The best people have to go on with topics like this is their own tainted perceptions of a generation, as shown in several ludicrous posts already made. Many if not most teens are on several medications? Yeah, right.

There are millions of teens in every generation. Trying to determine their personality by painting with such a broad brush is nonsensical.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The best people have to go on with topics like this is their own tainted perceptions of a generation, as shown in several ludicrous posts already made. Many if not most teens are on several medications? Yeah, right.

There are millions of teens in every generation. Trying to determine their personality by painting with such a broad brush is nonsensical.
That's always the rationalization and excuse for stating what is true and very widespread. Today's teens and actually most young people seem like drugged up sheep. Many males seem very undeveloped. I guess the parents don't realize or don't care that the ADHD medications have long lasting side effects I think many of these medications are also dangerous that they inhibit development so you have 21 and 25 year old men in the bodies of 15 year olds. Of course with the extreme consumer culture based on judging someone by what they own with whom they hang out with plus ADHD and psyc meds as the answer to recut problem this is what you get.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:10 PM

127 posts, read 534,495 times
90's teenagers made a lot of sarcastic remarks. They were nothing like teens of the 1950's.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 PM

13 posts, read 99,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
That's always the rationalization and excuse for stating what is true and very widespread. Today's teens and actually most young people seem like drugged up sheep. Many males seem very undeveloped. I guess the parents don't realize or don't care that the ADHD medications have long lasting side effects I think many of these medications are also dangerous that they inhibit development so you have 21 and 25 year old men in the bodies of 15 year olds. Of course with the extreme consumer culture based on judging someone by what they own with whom they hang out with plus ADHD and psyc meds as the answer to recut problem this is what you get.
Now you are just talking out of your behind. I'm in my 20s and a lot of people mistaken me for a teenager and I've never taking any ADHD or psych meds, nor any illegal drugs. People look younger nowadays but it's for different reasons (even 50 year olds look much younger than they did 20 years ago). I graduated high school not too long ago and the only "drug" I saw being used was weed. In college, some people took Adderall but it was only like 5-10 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History