Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:42 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,450,693 times

Advertisements

You treat the Tea Party as if it is a monumental event on a global scale. It is an isolated political movement by a bunch of old fogies who are mad that their party lost the election. The Tea Party demographic is in decline and there isn't enough steam amongst the younger generation for this movement to last. I hardly see it being on par with such events as the Revolutionary War, the Great Depression, World War 2, the Cold War, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,040,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
I would point out that the Saeculum dates back to the ancient Greeks, .
If endorsement by the ancient Greeks validated things, then the Gods live on Mount Olympus, slavery is a perfectly acceptable institution, we should be ruled by philosopher kings, fire is attracted to the moon, the earth is the center of the universe etc.

Now if J.D. Powers & Associates signs off on it......

Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM

553 posts, read 594,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You treat the Tea Party as if it is a monumental event on a global scale. It is an isolated political movement by a bunch of old fogies who are mad that their party lost the election. The Tea Party demographic is in decline and there isn't enough steam amongst the younger generation for this movement to last. I hardly see it being on par with such events as the Revolutionary War, the Great Depression, World War 2, the Cold War, etc.
I hesitate to say much about the Tea Party in a forum on history, but if the Tea Party is declining and out of steam as you describe why is so much money and effort being spent trying to defeat it? Why do nearly all Republican primary candidates give such prominance in their campaigns to appeals to the Tea Party demographic? Why are most of the Republicans named as likely presidential candidates for 2016 connected to the Tea Party? Whatever one's personal opinion of the Tea Party may be, there is scant evidence it is a dying movement! Events will unfold soon enough.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,174,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
I hesitate to say much about the Tea Party in a forum on history, but if the Tea Party is declining and out of steam as you describe why is so much money and effort being spent trying to defeat it? Why do nearly all Republican primary candidates give such prominance in their campaigns to appeals to the Tea Party demographic? Why are most of the Republicans named as likely presidential candidates for 2016 connected to the Tea Party? Whatever one's personal opinion of the Tea Party may be, there is scant evidence it is a dying movement! Events will unfold soon enough.
The Tea Party is the right wingnut fringe of the GOP, and the establishment Pubbies know that letting the lunatics run the asylum will result in further political losses in November, which is why they are trying to keep Tea Party candidates off the November ballots.

Personally, I hope the Pubbies do nominate a Tea Party wingnut in 2016 because it will guarantee another 4 years of Democrats in the WH. I doubt that that will happen, though. Most ordinary Republicans are smarter than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History