Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times

Advertisements

I read about moving side walks by 70's then all kinds of further ideas that never came true but sold copy. I remember sicientist saying we would have a second ice age also. Few came true and I think its much the same today.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,105,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know to older members on this board. Did you have any ideas what you thought the year 2000 was going to look like: For example: "I thought that by the year 2000 we would be having flying cars and jetpacks, and moon vacations by now!!!" What did you guys think about what the future was going to look like by today?
......you ask,..."do I remember life before 2000"?......How 'bout WAY before 2000....like 60 to 70 years before

As a 10 yr old kid (Jan & Feb of 1942) I remember helping my Dad and some neighbors cut 14 inch thick blocks of ice out of the lake that was about 100 feet from our house and help stack them in the "ICE HOUSE so that we'd have enough to last until Thanksgiving.

I remember May 1946 (graduation from Grade School).......and the population of the US was approx 150 million!!! AND in the fall when we were in 8th grade, we could bring out shotguns to school (put them in the "clothes closet" in the back of the school room), so that we could then take them out after school at 3:15 pm and hunt rabbits, pheasants and squirrel along the RR Tracks the three miles on the way to our house.

our telephone number was a three diget numberand was a "5 party-Line"........private lines didn't become available until about 1946. Gasoline was 12.5 cents per gallon.

Fast forward to 1950: Graduated high school and the money I'd been saving up... (many part time jobs during after school hours (grade school and high school) and Satudays and summer vacations)....was now applied to College Tutition. Had three part time jobs while going to college and graduated on time!!......
(no such thing as a "student loan"--most of us "worked our way through college".) With Dad passing at my age of 13, "you worked for whatever you needed or wanted"!!! But it was easy to get full or part-time jobs due to the tremendous BOOM YEARS after WWII.

Yea, it was a GREAT time to grow-up in our country's history......Today's young folks born after the year 2000 will NEVER, EVER be able to experience what my friends and I had the good fortune to have as an enviroment during our formative years.

To partially answer the OP's question, On July 20, 1969 when we put "a man on the Moon", I figured we (the USA) would continue to be the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD for the next 100 years..............I hope I was right,......but don't forget:....."The road-to-Hell is paved with good intentions!!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,600,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I read about moving side walks by 70's then all kinds of further ideas that never came true but sold copy. I remember sicientist saying we would have a second ice age also. Few came true and I think its much the same today.
There are quite a number of moving sidewalks in Europe. If you walk in the direction the sidewalk is moving, you can book right along. Escalators, or course, are everywhere.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,600,868 times
[quote=Montana Griz;35014725]
Quote:
our telephone number was a three diget numberand was a "5 party-Line"........private lines didn't become available until about 1946. Gasoline was 12.5 cents per gallon.
We just ordered DSL internet at my mother's farm. The phone company was dismayed to discover that the phone service was one hot line and a ground wire. Tech 1: an hour on the phone trying to get the internet working. Tech 2: Home visit, two hours before he bothered to go out and look in the box. Tech 3: Install twisted pair from the road to the house. Tech 4: Another home visit to set up the internet.

It was still a party line when we moved there in 1961.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,191,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think moving walks failed to gain ground because they were impractical. I remember trying to navigate the Denver airport with a big suitcase on little wheels. We got on the moving ramp. But it moved so slowly that we ended up getting off and balancing the stuff ourselves and walking. Moving ramps were useful if they went your way and you had the time to wait for them. If not walking worked better.

And we will have another ice age. We could even in geological time have one 'soon'. But that could be many centuries. Weather always moves in cycles.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:52 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,831,425 times
Surely we would have underwater dwellings by now. Forget the house on the ocean, how about one on the ocean floor? I wonder if there are any today. Another prediction I heard was smoking rooms. Almost, except they are outdoors.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 AM

21,402 posts, read 10,475,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Y2k was NOT a "bug". It was dopey idea that was popularized by the writer James Kunstler, and proves that having a little knowledge but no understanding is often worse than being ignorant, especially when presented by someone with an agenda.

Kunstler claimed that most major computer systems around the world, including those that ran the power grid, would crash on 01/01/00 because they wouldn't be able to handle the new century. Too bad the fool didn't understand that no computer programmer, especially in the 1980s, would be so stupid as to make a computer system dependent on a specific date as Kunstler claimed. Too bad so many people fell for his BS. Millions upon millions of computer programs were checked and rechecked and except for some reports that might have printed the wrong date, there was no "Y2k bug" anywhere ... even among the millions of computer programs that weren't checked. Not a single light flickered because a power grid computer system depended upon a specific date.

PS - Your claim about 2038 is even dumber than Kunstler's original claim. Understand this: computer programmers do NOT write programs depending upon specific dates or specific years. They might write programs based on the month or the date changing (such as an accounting program that automatically runs "end of the month processing" when the month changes) but year specific dates are NEVER, EVER used. I've been a computer programmer for nearly 30 years and have NEVER, EVER seen or heard of anyone who used your alleged "shortcut of subtracting 38 years from the date". If there was code to be fixed in anticipation of Y2K, it was fixed not band-aided by hard-coding some false past date into a program!
I always thought the Y2K thing was a scam to make money. All those comapnies selling programs and IT people made a killing off that idea.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM

41,790 posts, read 74,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know to older members on this board. Did you have any ideas what you thought the year 2000 was going to look like:
That long ago?

By "older", I guess you mean 18?

Really, what is the point of this thread?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,463,479 times
No matter how many times I see the thread title I have to chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.