Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade was more revolutionary in general?
1960s 23 85.19%
1990s 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,157,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Why are the 40's not included? That was a decade of technological and geopolitical change that is unrivaled in modern history.

Of the two choices you provide, I give the nod to the 90's because of the revolutionary impacts of computer technology and the internet comming into commercial use.

I was a kid in the 60's, and a working adult in the 90's, so my perspectives may be driven by my age as much as actual change in each decade.
I would definitely see the 1940s as more revolutionary than the 1990s. The geopolitical changes were mind-boggling -- the rise of the US and the USSR as world powers; the Cold War; the birth of the state of Israel; the beginning of the end for colonialism, including independence for India and the Phillippines. The technological changes were also unprecedented including, but not limited to: the birth of the computer industry through the code-breaking machines; jet airplanes; nuclear energy; synthetics, including substitutes for both rubber and silk; first tv broadcasts. Social changes included the end of the respectability of antisemitism; the integration of the US military and major league baseball; the Nuremburg war crimes tribunals that disallowed the "I was only following orders" defense for "crimes against humanity".

Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM

854 posts, read 1,475,615 times
I think the 1990s were more counter-revolutionary. Right wing politics made a huge comeback in that decade.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM

11,970 posts, read 8,285,975 times
Sixties were a time of tremendous social change and upheaval. I didn't even notice we had a revolution in the nineties. Heh.

A few which haven't been mentioned:

Rise of the Jet Set
Black Power
Second wave of Feminism
Large changes in architectural style and modern art
Remember Grey Power? Senior Citizens rights
An absolute boom in popular music
And, oh, the authors of that time!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,437,737 times
The 60s wins this poll, hands down. There's no comparison.

The 60s revolution was sociological. And it was profound. The 1950s, despite the modernity and technological advances, was still the last gasp of Victorianism and we have never thought or behaved in the same way since then.

In colleges in the early 1960s the dorms were strictly single sex, women's dorms had visiting hours (including at all-women's colleges), men were not allowed in women's rooms unless they were a family member and the concept of in loco parentis was in full force with resident dorm matrons. By the end of the decade all of that was gone, forever.

Today's youth has no idea how different life could be prior to the 1960s. Most people can grasp the concept that technology was more primitive because they can look at a 1950s/60s car or television and compare it to today, but they have no real understanding of how different people's beliefs and attitudes were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.