Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:06 PM

133 posts, read 311,946 times

Advertisements

If I had a choice I would have been born sometime in the early 1940s. Too bad I'm 40 some odd years too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
*Raises Hand*

Honestly, I hate the world we live in. All the technology, hate, and crime. I live in Charleston, SC and to imagine being here back in the 1700-1800s would have been amazing. Even the early 1900s to skip some wars

If you DID want to live in the past, anywhere in particular?

FYI...I apologize if this has already been made into a thread.
No. I'll take my life and times, thank you.

I was born into a first-world liberal democracy, with abundant opportunity. While the particulars of my childhood weren't ideal, I understand that for all practical purposes, I won the lottery of good fortune by being born when and where I was. I lived to adulthood, never having to worry about things like polio or smallpox or myriad other diseases which killed off a hefty portion of children in their first years of life back in those times which were 'amazing'. When I've needed stitches, or earlier this year when I had pneumonia, I've never had to worry about dying due to modern medical care. The technology of vaccines, antiseptics and antibiotics, at very modest prices, have vastly reduced the amount of misery in the world. My children have similarly benefited from such things.

While I am a straight while male, I shudder at being gay or non-white or a woman in the times you mention. And I am an atheist - no thanks, I'll take the modern era where I don't have to worry about intense ostracization, much less something worse, for my lack of religious belief.

Hate? Crime? It was present in the past in abundance.

And technology? Well, don't use it. Seriously. You don't have to have a computer and post to the internet, you know. You can forego modern medical care. You can live without electricity and whatnot. Some people actually do that.

Aside from all of that, I love to travel. I love to read and absorb modern scientific knowledge. I have no interest in the ignorance of that past, or of being hopelessly confined to one small area of the planet.

And frankly, I've read enough history to disabuse me of the romantic notions of the past - Mel Gibson films notwithstanding.

Quote:
Oh please.

Well then I'd like to live in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Happy now?

I just wanted to live in the Victorian era. No need to jump down my back and get all specific with me.
Ah, yes - the Gilded Age. One bank run after another. Children toiling away in factories. Still no real modern medicine, still terrible poverty, especially among the aged (well, those who managed to live long enough - the lifespans of the time were much shorter). Men could legally rape their wives in all 50 states (well, they could force themselves on them sexually - it wasn't the crime of rape because the law allowed it). That whole 'Jim Crow' thing.

On the bright side, you weren't forced to use the internet back then! Oh, wait... you aren't forced to use it now...

Old 06-01-2014, 01:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
I've always been curious to know what other decades (and other eras) before my time were like. But if I had a time machine, I would simply want to travel to those times just to SEE what they were like. I wouldn't want to live in those times because it would mean that I wouldn't have the modern conveniences from the present day especially personal hygiene items such as my favorite deodorant, my favorite hair product, my favorite cologne, etc.
I also wouldn't be able to wear contact lenses.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,can we go into the future?

To see 2082 will be fantastic,even though it is possible i could see 2082,as i was born in 1982.

I would have loved to grow up in the 70's and 80's.
Technically,i did grow up in the 80's,but i would have liked to do adult things rather than kiddie things like listen to music,bars,watch soap operas as oppossed to school and watching cartoons
I would rather be born in the far future. I have no interest in going backwards.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:16 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Do you wish you grew up in a different era?

Ummm..........NO!

As a woman, not only would I not want to have to handle menstruation and child birth in the "good ole days", I wouldn't want to visit a dentist or doctor in the good ole days. Oh no.....NO NO NO!

Nor would I want to give up indoor plumbing, electricity, washing machines, refrigeration, reliable automobiles, television, computers, etc., etc.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
I have no illusions about the past, but I would love to be in the East in the early 19th century, no later than the 1820's. Portions of the East were still quite wild, great virgin forests still stood including the giant chestnut trees, all the lost species of today were then still present--the passenger pigeons, Carolina parakeet, and others. I could see myself quite enjoying just living as a hunter in the forests of that time.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
*Raises Hand*

Honestly, I hate the world we live in. All the technology, hate, and crime. I live in Charleston, SC and to imagine being here back in the 1700-1800s would have been amazing. Even the early 1900s to skip some wars

Watch the movie Midnight in Paris.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
*Raises Hand*

If I could relive the 1990s again, that would be fine. Further in the past, no thanks.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Most definitely be born in the 70s, grow up in the 80s and be a young adult in the 90s.

I wouldn't want to live any further back in the past because of discrimination and little knowledge...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
I would have preferred to be a boomer-- they had it a lot easier.

But overall I agree with the 19th century... as long as I wasn't anywhere near a city. The medicine wasn't the best and you were pretty much on your own... but assuming I had the skills I would have built myself a cabin with a nice little garden and some animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History