Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times

Advertisements

I definitely learned about Emmet Till in 11th grade US history circa 2004/2005.

That being said I can see why it is extremely controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM

338 posts, read 677,146 times
Emmett's murder, as horrible as it was, wasn't truly the turning point. It was the aftermath--his mother Mamie Till demanded the body be sent back to her and insisted on an open casket. Jet magazine and a lot of other media covered the viewing which was truly awful--the boy's face was smashed in, literally unrecognizable. This was covered extensively in the worldwide media and brought a lot of attention to the case and subsequently the trial in Money, MS. The fact that it even went to trial was evidence of the scrutiny Money was experiencing and the inhabitants were none too happy about it--there was a lot of grumbling about "outsiders" who didn't understand them and who "caused trouble." Emmett's great-uncle very bravely appeared in court to testify that the Bryant/Milam brothers had kidnapped Emmett in the middle of the night. (Immediately afterward he left for Chicago, knowing what would happen to him as a warning to "uppity" blacks.)

The all-white, all-male jury spent a little over an hour deliberating (they went out for soda to drag out the time to make it look better) after being charged by the defense attorney to "do your duty as an Anglo-Saxon [IOW, white] Christian." They did, and returned with a verdict of not guilty. Interestingly the Bryant/Milam brothers were persona non grata in Money afterward, especially after they confessed in Look magazine. For one thing they were considered poor white trash, and for another the feeling was that they'd brought too much unfavorable attention on the town.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM

74 posts, read 89,538 times
The same reason why the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing isn't taught. The bombing of 4 black children isn't as important as the color of their skin. 16th Street Baptist Church bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Nobody wants to deal with America's racist past. But a WWII Holocaust movie comes out every few years and wins awards.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 PM

244 posts, read 362,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Duh. Donald Sterling.

What an extremely naive worldview you have, to think that someone's politics makes them a racist, or vice-versa.
Ironically enough, it's naive that you think Donald Sterling is a democrat, social agenda doesn't even nee to be discussed to see that he is a Republican, not to mention if you took a few seconds to actually research you'd see that he has been a Republican nearly his entire life.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I definitely learned about Emmet Till in 11th grade US history circa 2004/2005.

That being said I can see why it is extremely controversial.
Is it controversial?

Does some one have an attitude other than, "it was an atrocity"? I never heard it if it exists.
But it is fun to call it controversial.

And how can we say it isn't taught in history? We have roads named after Till, and there is hardly a person around here who cannot tell you who he was.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

Slavery and Jim Crow and their legacy of racism remain a central theme in the American experience. It's NOT something to forget, ever, in the name of reconciliation. The blatant racism that's spewed by so many on the Right, especially since Obama's election, underscores the necessity of standing up to evil.
SO, no one on the left is evil?

I have seen examples of racism on the left and right .. but then again, that's just me.. i don't look at things from a political view point. I look at things from a common sense view point. I don't try to decifer which side of the aisle some one sits when I hear venum spew from their mouth, not really sure why that would matter..

Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know they can.....but don't try to use Sterling as an example. If you have a real example, I'm all ears.
No thanks, I've seen this puppet show before. Anyway I'm not looking to hijack the thread.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Ironically enough, it's naive that you think Donald Sterling is a democrat, social agenda doesn't even nee to be discussed to see that he is a Republican, not to mention if you took a few seconds to actually research you'd see that he has been a Republican nearly his entire life.
Yeah, yeah, that's ironic all right. Donald Sterling being a registered Republican who gave millions of dollars to the NAACP to buy several "achievement awards" proves you Lefties are perfect. Congratulations.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No thanks, I've seen this puppet show before. Anyway I'm not looking to hijack the thread.
You brought it up.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i dont blame society for not learning about emmet Till but the school board society itself.

My history classes every year was the same for 12 years, pilgrims to war 1812. I had never had a class on anything pass war of 1812. But every year it was the same.
what school did you go to???

IMO, American history doesn't even get interesting until around 1860!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History