Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM

447 posts, read 733,681 times

Advertisements

I would think any nation that wanted to use nukes would have to worry about the radiation fallout. So hopefully no one crazy leader will think different and try something crazy. Maybe in the future when we go to other planets then someone might try to nuke earth and live on another planet but I think I will be long gone by then. Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post

It's more likely the world is destroyed by nature itself, which is far more powerful and destructive than any man made force.
Mother Nature will continue to be the greatest terrorist of all!

I read a book, about the Reagan years, concerning the build-up of nuclear weapons during that period, and one top advisor to Reagan said: The world is going to be destroyed by nuclear weapons eventually, so why worry about it!!!

The end to this cruel laboratory experiment called the Human Race, is that really such a bad idea?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

The end to this cruel laboratory experiment called the Human Race, is that really such a bad idea?
On a personal level, when we die that is the end of the human race. Regardless of what happens to humanity after your death, it will no longer be a concern of yours, you won't know what happens, you won't be able to care one way or the other.

For clarification...is your welcoming the end of the human race based on it taking place after you have departed this cruel laboratory experiment, or while you are still a specimen?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
It bothers my conscience, many times, when my life is so free of the suffering, horrors taking place in the rest of the world, and seeing the impossibility of anything ever changing for so much of the rest of the world, that there are those times, I think: Out of compassion, let's just pull the plug, and at least my guilt will be relieved!

Yes, I know, throwing the baby out with the bath water!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 AM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It bothers my conscience, many times, when my life is so free of the suffering, horrors taking place in the rest of the world, and seeing the impossibility of anything ever changing for so much of the rest of the world, that there are those times, I think: Out of compassion, let's just pull the plug, and at least my guilt will be relieved!

Yes, I know, throwing the baby out with the bath water!
You need to put those horrors in perspective: For many people life ain't so bad. One day some group came in, fired a few shots. Out of the 20,000 people in your town they killed 20. That was one bad day out of 365 days in the year. These guys have a thing about enforcing some old micky mouse laws and customs everybody knows about and knows how to comply with; it's a hassle but everybody knows what to do. On the News you hear about one battle after another day after day after day in three or for different countries in three or four different parts of the world--but for the people actually there it boils down to one bad day out of an otherwise fairly normal year.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
I'd say that disease is more likely to "end" civilization than nuclear war. Our propensity for running to the doctor and getting on antibiotics for the slightest cold symptom has encouraged the growth of super bacteria which are highly resistant to most antibiotics, and they are going to get stronger before they get weaker.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
No. Nothing will destroy our civilization unless it destroys the capacity of the planet to sustain megazoic life forms. Humans have already reached the stage at which their DNA contains the basics for rational and logical thought, philosophy, language skills, exchange of information, planning future events, use of tools, etc, and that cannot be unlearned nor erased. Even a very small number of human survivors, in the thousands, will have the capacity to remember skills and social relationships and reconstruct a reasonable civilization.

To put it simply,humans have learned to alter their own environment and create one of their own choosing, and once across that threshold, there is no going back.

However, nuclear war contains a unique danger. No organism has immunity to radioactivity, which in sufficient density will kill everyone -- there is no escape. Diseases will not, there will always be people who will either have a natural immunity to any disease, or will survive and acquire it. or will somehow escape it. Every plague in human history has burned itself out and left survivors.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-19-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History